[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's it like holding a PhD? what kind of hardships do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1453803830485.jpg (26KB, 331x334px) Image search: [Google]
1453803830485.jpg
26KB, 331x334px
what's it like holding a PhD? what kind of hardships do you go through for a postdoc? is it just "research these areas of mathematics and see if you come up with something." or "if you don't find something by the end of this term i'm going to kick you to the curb."? i always hear about people being pressured, but i'm confused. don't you usually go into a postdoc already having a thesis or some papers in an area? or is that uncommon? what's the frequency for publishing theses on average for you guys?
>>
nobody who has a phd, or atleast a successful one, is here

so the response you will get biased towards losers and retards
>>
>>7811661
be that as it may, i'm hoping someone would at least have some insight due to unbiased research at their respective institutions.
>>
You go into a phd if either you love masochism, are misguided, are golden boy with a fat stipend from some organization, or you are a foreigner.

No other reason.
>>
>>7811665
what if i love math tho :^(
>>
>>7811665

I dunno man, making $25,000+ a year for doing no more than what I love (learning and researching physics), with maybe a little grading on the side, seems like a good deal to me. Absolutely loving grad school.
>>
File: Yui.jpg (37KB, 376x526px) Image search: [Google]
Yui.jpg
37KB, 376x526px
>>7811661
>tfw loser retard who will never be good enough for a phd
>>
>>7811692
Atleast you're cute when posting animes, anon.
>>
>>7811682
I make more than that as an undergrad with a scholarship at the University of Kyoto :^) All it took was some good test scores and knowing Japanese and they figuratively throw their money at you.
>>
>>7811699
Should I include anime girls when I apply for a phd?
>>
>>7811659
doing a thesis sucks.. you think you are getting paid and that you will revolution science. you wont.

at the end of the first year, you will understand. at the end of the second year, you say ''never again''. at the end of the third, you understand that the writing is a drag and that you should have begun since the first year. you think of quitting.
you do not quit, graduate and then you understand that postdocs are glorified phds and then you have no job if you do not work on a trendy subject,
>>
>>7811659

It's like being fucked in the ass when you're not even remotely gay.
>>
>>7811709
Maybe you should. I know I would instantly approve you!
>>
File: Foto am 26.01.16 um 14.28.jpg (63KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Foto am 26.01.16 um 14.28.jpg
63KB, 640x426px
>>7811659
Good feel, I guess.

I doubt it's a plus for my career, since I don't intend doing a postdoc anymore (don't want to move around too much and write grant proposals). Thankfully I'm a fan of 175 year old German frog-memes and don't care for the 4 years without proper salary. It doesn't hurt on the CV, I suppose.
I had a shitty advisory and my work doesn't stand out in any way, but I personally felt like it being a very comfy sort of job. The time I invested in my personal projects on the side in that time was more than the time I invested when "at work."
I know it's stressful for many, but that wasn't my experience. It's something you do mostly for yourself and I didn't have a big problem with producing something presentable every now and then.
>>
>>7811708
I thank you for using the word "figuratively". Not that "literally" couldn't have been used there, it's simply that the former sounds more likely. That is all
>>
File: fw_spooky.jpg (35KB, 128x165px) Image search: [Google]
fw_spooky.jpg
35KB, 128x165px
>>7811842
it's ironic that the only people who get thrown money at them are strippers
>>
>>7811845
Who knows? Perhaps they teach stripology in Japan.
>>
depends mostly on whether your supervisor is cool or not, and encourages creativity. you could come up with some great ideas, travel the world, meet great people, and make decent coin.

or you could spend 4 years rotting, grading irrelevant material from demoralized students, jumping endless bureaucratic hurdles, ending up in debt, with your ideas stolen.

some professors are full blown psychopath.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.