[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT common falsehoods the average public believe about science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: Angry_Ed.jpg (109KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Ed.jpg
109KB, 640x480px
ITT common falsehoods the average public believe about science that pisses you off
>Natural selection is the survival of the fittest
>Fittest meaning strongest and most ruthless
or
>People who get hypothesis and theory confused
>>
>>7811179
Nice blog post.
>>
>>7811179

These are the sort of things that a middle schooler might get annoyed at.
>>
>science is facts
>>
>>7811179
When people think chemistry or biology majors automatically qualify them for 70k jobs out of college.

Science isn't in THAT much demand.
>>
>>7811179

I always get a kick when I see the new physics undergrads come rolling in, knowing that only a handful of them are going to graduate with a physics degree.
>>
>vaccines cause autism
>>
>>7811222
And only one of them will actually work in their field for more than a year on a decent salary.
>>
>>7811210
>People saying stupid shit
>You must be 12 to get mad at it
>>
Personal I hate it when people use the word proof when talking about non-math things.
>>
>>7811179
>function = equation = formula
>>
> Organisms evolve traits in order to accomplish a specific goal. ("We evolved thumbs SO THAT we could grab stuff")
>>
File: rare_pepe_9.jpg (13KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
rare_pepe_9.jpg
13KB, 306x306px
>we only use 10% of our brains
>>
>>7812134 here

If anyone reading this is a pleb, it's that we evoled thumbs. Period. We used them to grab stuff. Period.

Steve on the other hand, evolved organs outside of his body and died before he could fuck.
>>
>>7811307
Pretty much.
If you understand why these people have these misconceptions, you should be able to either explain to them the correct way if you have the time, or
>>
>>7811179
Not really science but twisting statistics to further their bigoted claims really annoys me. Lets take the much maligned tranny for example
>40% of trannies commit suicide therefore trannies are mentally ill
The killed themselves after you bullied them for being a tranny
>I only see male trannies therefore all trannies are men with a weird fetish
You only see men because a) estrogen is weaker than testosterone b) a woman trying to look like a man is more socially acceptable and therefore less noticeable
>Trannies are a Western disease, no trannies in Uganda
>Yeah because it forced underground by repressive laws, I'm sure there are as many gays in Uganda as there are in Europe
And similarly
>There are so many trannies in Thailand therefore it is proof that it is a lifestyle choice by those who are following the crowd
No the culture is just more accepting of it if the same acceptance existed here there would also be a thriving public ladyboy community.
So yeah this chicken and egg statistics of oppressing and persecuting a community then using their resultant problems with fitting into society as proof that their community was sick all along. I empathize with this because as an autistic guy people constantly treat me like shit then when I become a cold distant asshole they say I got treated like shit because I was a cold distant asshole.
>>
>>7811179

>Einstein failed math and dropped out of school, but went on to become the most famous scientist of all time

>"NO PRESERVATIVES" marketing labels on food. Table salt and higher concentrations of sugar are preservatives, they suck the water out of microbes killing them. Vinegar, vitamin C and E are "preservatives" too

>IQ is legit

>H2O has a memory

>The Big Bang Theory tv show is what "science people" are like
>>
>we only use 10% of our brains!
>>
>>7812141
Triggered
>>
>>7812182
fuckoff tranny
go assfuck yourself somewhere else how is that science related
>>
>>7812226
>statistics
>math board
>"I'm an autistic guy who empathizes with trannies because I feel similar prejudice"
>"I'm a tranny"
Excellent comprehension.
>>
>>7812182
Autism fact: all autists think they're transgendered because they feel awkward in their current form.

Tranny fact: all trannies are autists.

Science fact: go back to /r9k/, you fucking humanities major.
>>
File: pure_coincidence_.jpg (385KB, 1898x1038px) Image search: [Google]
pure_coincidence_.jpg
385KB, 1898x1038px
All of these
>>
>The universe is a two-dimensional structure projected onto a cosmological horizon
>>
>>7812182
ayyy, how about the statistics showing ~50% of all trannies who get their dicks chopped off end up regretting it?

lol.
>>
>>7812338
I think sex change is a good treatment for autists. Female autists get a far easier ride in life. Unfortunately it only works if you are willing. I actually do browse /r9k/ and contrary to what you say most of the spergs there are hostile to transsexuals.
>>7812406
its actually 3%
>>
>>7812141
jimmies=rustled
>>
>>7812141
I'm tired of explaing what this phrase really means
>>
>>7812195
Shit unless the first the rest are seriously retard
>>
>>7812437
Not trolling, just curious. Trannies after the sex change are people who want to have the other sex or they really believe that they belong to the other sex? If it's the second, it can be a personality disease but autism? Isn't autism totaly different?
>>
>>7812833
Most trannies firmly believe they were born the wrong sex.

Strictly speaking, transsexuality should be considered a disorder, but you can't because it would cause an SJW riot.

Yes, it is entirely, massively different from any autism spectrum disorder (can be comorbid though)
>>
>>7812833
The vast majority are the latter which is why the medical establishment takes it so seriously. I however don't see the former as any less valid of a reason. If you pay for it yourself and are open about not being born a woman to partners what is the problem?

It really has nothing to do with autism, that's just a personal opinion of mine that autists would be better off female. Unfortunately there is no correlation between finding the male role hard and wanting to be a female so it won't work.
>>
>>7812842
It is a disorder. Gender Identity Disorder no? That it's a disorder isn't the problem the problem is that many sectors of society don't accept the treatment procedure even though it is very clearly the most expedient solution. We can make make people appear to be the opposite sex therefore why not just do it and end the problem instead of pumping them with antidepressants and endless therapy just because society doesn't like the look of it?
>>
>>7812141
not even baiting here but it's somewhat true, MRI tests show this
>>
>>7812932
It's somewhat true because most of the structures of the brain are specialized to deal with certain tasks. If your speech processing centers are lighting up when you're not hearing speech, you've got problems.

Fuck, one of the signs of schizophrenia is higher than normal brain activity in areas there shouldn't be activity at that time.
>>
>This food doesn't have chemicals in it right?
>Doesn't realize literally everything they eat is made out of chemicals
Or
>GMOs are unhealthy
>>
>>7813534
>GMOs are unhealthy
This. Also,
>Organic food is healthier
>>
>"Science" is some organization or tangible group that says whether things are real or not
>Things can't 'be explained by science'
>Science prove wrong is a bad thing
>>
>people think that evolution is something consciously done by animals
>>
>>7813585
I have never heard of this.
>>
>>7813587
When people say that hiraffes evolved longer necks because they needed to reach the higher trees, they are claiming this. They didn't evolve longer necks for this reason, the ones with slightly longer necks had a better chance of survival and thus passed on their genes more often.
>>
>Humans have 5 senses
>>
>>7813594
>this
>>
Spirits aren't real
>>
>science proves so-and-so
>>
>>7813594
genuinely confused on this
>>
that scientist 500 years ago thought the earth was flat and Columbus had trouble finding sailors to sail with him out of fear they would fall off the earth
(still taught today)
>>
>>7813691
Equilibrioception, proprioception, and hunger are examples of senses distinct from the 5 traditional ones. Humans possess many other senses too.
>>
>>7813710
Woah! I mean, I suppose those could be thought of with a little creativity. Thanks anon. This is interesting,
>>
>>7812842
Then can't a tranny receibe psicological tratament to accept their real gender? It has been any attemp or studies of this?
>>
>>7811224

Bretty much. I'm gonna graduate from a great physics program with honors in a couple months but grad school sounds like a massive drag and my conscience won't allow me to work for a defense contractor. The upshot is that a physics degree is hella fancy and I can probably get in at a cool nonprofit org or something.
>>
>>7812182
> no one cares
>>
>chemicals are bad
>vaccines cause autism
>GMOs are bad
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.