[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a ridiculously underserved, yet somehow easy to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

What's a ridiculously underserved, yet somehow easy to get funding, field that's pretty simple to get into?
>>
>>7808234
bio anything
>>
>>7808234
>>
>>7808243
I don't think I could keep a straight face.

I'm just looking for something that's nice and consistent, not too difficult, and basically something I can just ride out for the rest of my life while giving me money to do things I actually care about.
>>
>>7808246
What are things you care about? Academia or industry? Funding implies you want to be doing research(Academia).
If this the case, there is no such thing as both easy to get into and easy to get funding PhDs in any scientific field. In academia, you have to be very dedicated to the work you are doing and willing to put a lot of hours, unlike industry. Engineering or CS would probably serve you better as a career you can ride out for the rest of your life.
>>
>>7808254
>What are things you care about? Academia or industry? Funding implies you want to be doing research(Academia).
I care about things that I can't make a living doing.
>If this the case, there is no such thing as both easy to get into and easy to get funding PhDs in any scientific field.
There has to be something somewhere.
>In academia, you have to be very dedicated to the work you are doing and willing to put a lot of hours, unlike industry.
Eh, depends.
>Engineering or CS would probably serve you better as a career you can ride out for the rest of your life.
Meh.
>>
>>7808234
Medical field is still underserved.

Also, advanced industrial technologies, like the regular-ass CNC machines everyone in the first world uses for everything that cannot be welded or molded.
>>
>>7808261
>I care about things that I can't make a living doing.
Ehh, I'm going to interpret that as wanting to go into Academia.
>There has to be something somewhere.
Not from my point of view, but maybe someone else can give you more insight into this.
>Eh, depends.
Not really, most of my family and relatives have done/are doing PhDs and none of them had it easy. My cousins have done PhDs in physics, EE, BME and bio and I can tell you that none of them would be able to do PhDs and post docs for the rest of their lives, and these are very capable people I am talking about. They all had to work brutal hours to even finish their doctorates.
>Meh.
Whether we like it or not, an industry career is the most common for stem graduates and is the easiest to get into and prosper if you want to have a scientific-related career. Although I can understand why you or me could find it stale.
>>
>>7808262
Radiology seems like it might qualify, but I don't know anyone in that area to talk to directly. Same for medical technologist.

>CNC stuff
hrm...trades are an interesting route.
>>7808284
Oh, you were talking about getting the degree -- yeah, I'm fine with that, I'm talking about the work that comes after the degree.

All I know is after doing what I did in the military, I'm done with actually having to /work/ for a living. Fuck that shit. I don't have expensive tastes or hobbies, I don't have illusions that I'm going to change the world, and really don't have any desire to rise in some company or some crap. I just want to do my thing.

I'm damn smart (performed well enough in school and recently retaking SAT/ACTs to where I have full rides waiting on me at a half dozen schools...probably the most impressive one would be Yale, so I can get grad school for free as long as I do well enough to get in)...it's just there's not anything I really care about or have a strong desire to do.
>>
>>7808311
i felt the same way as a college freshman. i just wanted to get some easy IT job being a sysadmin or something and coast on that for the rest of my life. I ended up doing an internship at kennedy space center and fell in love with the space program and got inspired. now im doing a phd in embedded systems for aerospace. you'll figure out what your passion is if you keep looking, you got time son

alternate advice: do some combination of "big data" and statistical analysis. or apply statistics to some political/social issue. easy shit in huge demand
>>
>>7808550
>internship at kennedy space center
how anon
NASA is my dream workplace
I have an internship at lockheed this year at least, perhaps that will help me get into NASA
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.