[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think about sage? It kinda seems like the unholy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: sage.png (58KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sage.png
58KB, 400x400px
What does /sci/ think about sage? It kinda seems like the unholy child of python and matlab.
>>
>>7800603
I prefer using sympy+Ipython notebook because you can more easily port the code to larger python code.
>>
>>7800603
First time I hear about this.
I won't lie, it looks awesome. Actually, I think this is exactly what I've been looking for.
Tried using Spyder before, it was ok. But I think this might be even better.
Can I write other python scripts using this, or is it strictly math only? I mean, there's an editor and a console, you can pretty much use it for what you need?
>>
>>7800603
>>7800652
Wait, does this have it's own IDE, or is it something like Notebook, you run it from your browser only?
>>
it had some library for elliptic curves over finite fields that no other software had built ins for.

i only know one prof in math who uses it, but he's a python and linux guy so
>>
>>7800658
you run it in chrome or via terminal
>>
>>7800652
>Can I write other python scripts using this, or is it strictly math only?
It's turing complete. It is mostly Python compatible with a few small syntax differences.

What's really cool is things like it's dynamic plotting where you can change the parameters in a GUI etc.

Also Linux only I believe, you'll need a VM if you're running it in Winblows.

sympy+Ipython notebook is available in all Jew OSes though
>>
>>7800683
Does it have some type of a variable window like matlab does?
>>
>>7800694
What do you mean? I've used MATLAB a lot, but I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>7800700
That variable explorer, where you can see current values of all assigned variables you got from running a single script. Which you usually delete by putting 'clear all' on top of every script, you know?
>>
>>7800603
Imo it's pretty much garbage. I still use it, but i find it badly documented and with lots of rough edges.
Quite low quality code, with a valid functional core. I wish it was better.
I'll have to try sympy. I use numpy for anything computational and software quality is way ahead
>>
>>7800700
Maybe he means the workspace?
>>
>>7800715
Not unless you run it in an IDE. Though there's probably several functions you can use to return a list of all defined vars in the terminal.

I don't understand why you would ever need to use that though. If you want to check a value at a point during development just print it in the terminal.

Python has more powerful data structures than MATLAB so it's generally easier to manage in my opinion. But I haven't used MATLAB in 3 years I don't know if they unfucked cells yet.
>>
>>7800733
So it has an IDE?
>>
>>7800739
No, that anon is talking out of its ass.
>>
>>7800724
Couldn't agree more on the documentation. Kind of pisses me off because the only way to really learn the software is you have a freetard friend who knows Sage well. It's so powerfull, yet useless because they can't communicate that power.

>>7800739
You can run anything in an IDE.

>>7800742
Are you retarded? I guess you've only ever used an IDE if it came with the distro you downloaded. Don't talk about shit you don't understand there are may IDEs that can handle cell structures well.
>>
>>7800745
>You can run anything in an IDE.

they mean a dedicated piece of software to write sage code in. like the window that pops up when you open mathematica. in sage that window in a browser window.
>>
File: Freedom.png (471KB, 1720x4985px) Image search: [Google]
Freedom.png
471KB, 1720x4985px
>>7800603
>License: GNU General Public License

SHIT
>>
>>7800786
>they
Stop pretending you aren't the only fuckwit in this thread.

Two seconds of google and we could've had one two less shitposts on /sci/s front page:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23941580/is-there-a-variable-explorer-for-pycharm
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.