[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I earned my physics degree with a math minor this past may from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

I earned my physics degree with a math minor this past may from an average university with a GPA of 3.27. The thing is I barely tried and got by with low B's and C's for the first 3 years, then got tired of being a retard and stepped my shit up. I then received mostly straight A's and the highest grade in a few classes such as QM 2 and calc 3 (ez mode). I never did research with professors or anything but now my problem is, should I go for a PhD?

I have an awful grasp on basic physics because I never tried in the introductory courses, though I could fix that with a few months of dedication. I have no research experience and a 3.27 GPA from an average university. Is there any hope? Any similar stories on being a scrub for a while then getting shit together and advancing in a field? Thanks

tl;dr
>didnt try for first few years, fucked up gpa, then finished very strong in undergrad physics/math with no research experience. Any hope for PhD?
>>
>>7798462
bamp
>>
Try for a masters program first.
>>
File: 1388695376774.jpg (79KB, 680x411px) Image search: [Google]
1388695376774.jpg
79KB, 680x411px
>>7798510
The thing is I currently couldnt afford a masters program while PhD's offer stipends and pay for research. Should have mentioned that, sorry
>>
>>7798527
Well the thing is you don't have any experience with the things that are important to PhD applicants.
Perhaps try to find a payed position doing research for a professor at your university, at least until the next application season rolls around. Talk to faculty about this stuff - they'll know what you are capable of.
>>
>>7798462
>took calc 3 senior year
>is a physics major, math minor

i'm gonna go with you're lying about basic details so what the fuck do you want us to say? if you're going to lie about the basics of your story then we really have NOTHING to go on
>>
>>7798462
>no research experience

gg m80 no re

Unless you find some people somehow that actually want to hedge a bet on someone they don't even know is capable of doing actual research.

But desu, if you didn't rape undergraduate basics, what hope do you have in actually doing research anyway? You know its tards like you that spend 10 years slaving away and never finishing their PhD right?
>>
>>7798462

Don't do grad school in physics. Either start working now, or go to school for EE or ME. With that combo you will be unfireable.

Also non-physics programs tend to look favorably upon lower GPAs from physics majors than other majors.
>>
>>7798462
What, is it even possible to PhD without an MSc?
>>
>>7799736
lmao yes

Source: Got into a Pharm. Sci program in the US with a BSc in chem/biochem and research experience (3years)
>>
>>7798608
>But desu, if you didn't rape undergraduate basics, what hope do you have in actually doing research anyway?

It's never too late to learn the basics properly, so I'd say he's still got some hope.

I have a very similar story, except I fucked around all throughout my undergrad... graduated with a 3.0 GPA, and after almost two years working shit jobs and hating my life thinking I was stupid, I decided enough was enough and started to study everything properly, back to the basics.

It's been 3 years and I'm almost where I should've been back when I graduated, so yeah, it's been shit and feels like I wasted a lot of time because I didn't take it seriously the first time around, but at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Once I get more comfortable with the knowledge and skills, I might try to kiss ass at a University and/or write some papers on my spare time to have something to show, and apply to some schools. It's never too late if you want it bad enough, though it does kinda suck dick when you're in your mid-late 20s and you haven't even started on the path you wish to be on...

Oh well. An heroing would be the only alternative, but it wouldn't really solve anything. Besides I'm not even that unhappy, and feel fairly optimistic that I'll find my way into a PhD program, even if it's not a top 30 program.
>>
>>7799865
>feel fairly optimistic that I'll find my way into a PhD program

Well, either that or get into an R&D job or some other research-oriented position (maybe assistant to a research scientist at a University, even if in the beginning I might just be someone's personal grunt) and scale up from there, is another possibility.
>>
>>7798558
I was in school for 6 years (failed classes and took extra classes for medical background like bi and chem) and took calc 3 in my third year. But I was just mentioning that because it seemed very easy to me while everyone else failed, so it made me feel like I may have a promising future. I ended up taking PDE senior year and getting an A
>>
>>7799125
I looked around and can't find any good jobs (In Murica) for people with just a BS in physics, a lot of people think its esoteric and useless for some reason
>>
>>7798462
>I'm a terrible student with no research experience, but grade inflation saved me.
>should I go for a PhD?

Wow, no.
>>
I can't express this enough: do not apply for a PhD just because you can't think of anything else to do. You won't get in anywhere good as is anyways.
>>
>>7800055
Its not that I can't think of anything else to do, I have options in the medical field like Dosimetry and stuff. Decent amount of connections in hospitals and radiologic departments. It's that I'm now actually interested in physics since taking it seriously
>>
>>7799865
>and feel fairly optimistic that I'll find my way into a PhD program, even if it's not a top 30 program.
Don't just get into a degree factory just for the sake of getting a degree. Always remember that at the end of the day it's still a piece of paper.

You need to make sure the faculty has contacts and reputation that will actually get you a job.

Honestly though for people like you I don't recommend grad-school at all. If your job makes you miserable get your IT certs you can make a lot of money doing easy work and spend your spare time doing things you enjoy. Going back to school at such a late stage in your life with no idea when you'll finish is a really bad idea.
>>
>>7800046

Depending on your skills, many companies will consider you for jobs that aren't explicitly physics positions. Before going off on my own, I worked designing embedded systems, but never actually got an EE degree. Employer was looking for an EE but hired me instead.
>>
>>7800086
I see what you're saying. The reason I want to get the degree in the first place is to have a career as a researcher either in academia or the industry. Of course, if I managed to get something close to what I want at least working close to people who are actual researchers, then I think I might not go to back to school after all. And yeah, I'd be extra careful not to get into a dead end where I can't network and meet contacts.

I want to go back because I now enjoy school... the life... I enjoy reading, learning new things, solving problems... honestly, I know it'd be a lot of work and I'd forgo money for a few years, but it just doesn't feel like it'd be a true "sacrifice" to me in that it'd be worth it. I'm not thinking about it as a means to an end, but a lifestyle - the lifestyle I wish to have.

>at such a late stage in your life

Bro, I know I'm not a kid anymore, but seriously... I'm unmarried, and in no rush to have children (so far it's just not one of my interests). I'm still in my 20s, and lots of people go back to school in their 30s. Contrary to what /sci/ makes you think, life isn't over at 25. You can still make choices and change shit after that age, especially if you don't have other lives depending on you, yeah.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.