[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a little brother who's two year old and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: What-you-know-about-cosmos.jpg (44KB, 568x319px) Image search: [Google]
What-you-know-about-cosmos.jpg
44KB, 568x319px
I have a little brother who's two year old and I'm wondering how I can get him interested in science, but I have no idea how.

Perhaps some of you might?
>>
I got interested in science after my dad bought me lots of books about space, as well as demonstrated some basic science experiments (such as making a homemade compass with needles, magnets and stuff).
Since then, I always wondered how things worked.
Also, radios and circuits can be fascinating too, so make sure to show him the basics.
I mean, do all this when he will be old enough to understand all this.
>>
Buy him the Cosmos documentary CD. But not the plebian version with smoke degrasse but the one with morgan freeman
>>
>>7791767
You mean, "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman"?
>>
>>7791750
Eh... it's tough to push someone to be interested in something. Parents especially need to be careful about forcing or prodding their children into certain fields, because often times the child grows a resentment towards the material. But since you're playing the role of big brother... do some cool and exciting experiments with him once he gets a bit older. I remember my dad burning ants with me with a magnifying class, making our own black powder, dry ice bombs, etc. He would always explain it to me before hand, then ask me questions about the processes while we were experimenting. He would always say "don't tell mom." Even though she probably knew, it made science feel so cool and badass to me. Once I got to high school, that same intrigue carried over strongly. Even as a student of the natural sciences in my last year at University, I still feel that excitement and intrigue when studying a new concept or working on something in the lab. I probably wouldn't have the mindset I do now without the shenanigans we did together.
>>
>>7791750
Teach him how to read, then explain to him the basics of shit posting and then throw him right in into the snake pit that is /sci/ and let him experience science first hand.

I bet that in only a week he will be completely informed about what happens when a sun of lava and a sun of ice collide.
>>
>>7791767
I thought he did the first cosmos as well.
Either way, the morgan one was way cooler and inspirational
>>
>>7791750
you know what to do...
>>
>>7791807
Pretty sure that was Carl Sagan.
>>
File: 2312312.jpg (317KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
2312312.jpg
317KB, 1536x2048px
>>7791750
>I have a little brother who's two year old

Buy him a telescope and look at the stars together
>>
File: celestron.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
celestron.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>7791837
This. Just picked up this bad-boy two years ago. So much fun
>>
>>7791826
fuck me I was high when I watched them
>>
I should probably mention he's already into reading, even though he can't read.
>>
>>7791750
show him this ball
http://www.insecam.org/en/view/168715/
>>
>>7791750
>who's two year old

Buy him a Gameboy and some puzzle games
>>
Don't buy him a star tracker, make him one. Save money to buy him plasma cutters.
>>
Teach him the scientific method (but not formally, make it a game or something). In the end he may not go into science, but at least he won't be easily swayed by bullshit and will know how to come up with answers to questions by himself.

Also teach him how to learn things. Teach him mnemonic systems like the method of loci or peg system.
>>
Take him to radioshack. Take some stuff apart. Just get him to ask questions and stay digging for answers.
>>
>>7791750
wondering this as well, just found out wife and I are having a baby girl.

I'm a process engineer, wife is a HS choir instructor.

>decorating nursery in space and music stuff
>don't know what to do past that
>really want the kid to take an interest in science, coding, and math even if they don't go that route so they understand the world a bit
>just want my child to be able to capable of critical thought
>>
>>7792038
If you were in a situation in which you and your family were trapped somewhere and you become starved, would you consume your daughter?
>>
Buy him the space kerbal program. Tell him he can have anything he wants if he can land his spaceship on the moon in the game.
>>
>>7791839
>just
>two years ago
You have short years in your country
>>
>>7791837
>>7791839
Alright so what is your recommended telescope? Is there anything that can get some some nice views of some of the planets in the solar system and galaxies as well?

I understand the planets will still look quite small, and galaxies will be gray and all that. I just want to be able to see them better than little bright dots. Not that little bright dots aren't fun in their own way.
>>
>>7791750
buy him science-themed books, but not really small-child books, but middle-school aged science books with lots of diagrams and pictures. Read it to them, and explain why things are as they are in the book, when you can. I knew that I wanted to be a biologist before I stared elementary school because of books on natural history and animal behaviour that I couldn't read well. They don't need to understand it to find appreciation and desire to understand later, and the pictures will make them think. Nature/science shows on public television. Go full 90's, all other shit is useless. I'm talkin bill nye, kratz creatures, etc. Ask them scientifically minded questions about their world, e.g., how do you think this works, how did this come to be, give me your reasoning. You need to set up the frame of thought that asks questions, and doesn't take answers at face value. Don't make learning scary or daunting, but DON'T DUMB SHIT DOWN FOR THEM. I'm not talking about TV or whatever, but when they ask you questions, you give it to them straight, and you try to help them understand as best you can. If you do it right the unknowns will be fascinating and will stick in their head.
>>
>>7791750
Is this just another thinly veiled motivational thread?
>>
>>7791750
>I have no idea how
see? that's science
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.