[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should math be the only undergrad major, and then you can pick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: marko.png (5KB, 386x255px) Image search: [Google]
marko.png
5KB, 386x255px
Should math be the only undergrad major, and then you can pick something else for your graduate degree?

If gamers had to take 3 years of math before specializing in CS, they wouldn't be there to drag everyone else down.

If sociologists had to take 3 years of math before specializing in sociology, they wouldn't struggle so much with basic stats, and they would probably find the proper treatments of game theory very enlightening. Meanwhile, dumb SJWs would be weed out by this.

If history majors had to take 3 years of math before specializing in history, they could still use the math knowledge to get a job when they realize history was a mistake.

Anyone would benefit from the rigorous, logical thinking math teaches you.

Thoughts?
>>
>>7787603
well they could just start teaching math properly and efficiently before university

like if I had started "basic mathematics" by serge Lange or "mathematics for nonmathematicians" or whatever other simple math book that starts with nothing and finishes with precalc when I was in middle school id have finished goddam high school with calc3 and diffyQs
>>
>>7787603

>Anyone would benefit from the rigorous, logical thinking

Why bother with Math then?
Surely you can go directly to Philosophy/Logic/Argumentation/Critical Thinking which actually apply 'logical thinking' to things those sociologists and historians would use.
>>
>>7787603
It would also weed out the /pol/esmokers, from economics.
>>
>>7787603
If musicians had to take 3 years of math before specializing in music classical performance would die out in a few generations
>>
>>7787603
>they could still use the math knowledge to get a job
>>
>>7787611
Fucking this. Gets me mad every time.

Due to these fucking sperglords ("u know, it's just that I don't understand math :^) ;) ;) ")
I lost valuable time
>>
>>7787663
>valuable time
>posts in 4chin

pick one, imbecile

>>7787603
>Should math be the only undergrad major
you seem to be taking this shit to new autistic levels
>>
>>7787603
Nah m8, no need to go that far. For example history majors really have no need for it.

However a mathematics minor should be the prerequisite for certain subjects like economics and CS. A major would be preferred for physics/chemistry/biology. A greater emphasis on statistics for the softer sciences, and a greater emphasis on pure mathematics for the harder ones.
>>
>>7787680
>a greater emphasis on pure mathematics for the harder ones

An excellent way to waste everyone's time. Applied mathematics would be understandable, but even then any physics program worth its salt already provides sufficient mathematics courses.
>>
Which is why we have high school. Too bad the public education system is 1/10 terribad.
>>
>>7787697
Having a foundation in pure mathematics would be much better for applied mathematics. I'm assuming the harder sciences already have applied mathematics courses.
>>
>>7787648
Damn I wish a bachelors in math got me a job
>>
>>7787611
This
I had to take algebra for 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grades, and that was after taking prealgebra in 6th grade

Calculus wasn't even a requirement, it was a goddamn elective. Meanwhile, you needed four years of LA to even graduate.
>>
File: 23.jpg (6KB, 287x176px) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
6KB, 287x176px
>>7789419
In Germany you have to do calc 1 (or maybe 0.5? I don't know what murricans do in calc 1): differentiating and integrating and stuff is done in Germany.

But we have really poor algebra. Just like basic vector geometry with I don't know, straight lines and areas and stuff.

Then in university I was really shocked. Everything I learned was just basic down syndrome stuff. School was just a waste of time in regards of math. It could had be done way better and way deeper.

Doing the first proof in uni is just poor man.

Using complex numbers in a good way in uni is equally poor.

Also, linear algebra and multidimensional calc should be thought in school because it has such a great way of teaching students how to "read" "understand" and "write"mathematics.
>>
>>7790173
Calc 1 is only differentiating.
Calc 2 is where people learn about integrals.
>>
>>7790189
You are bullshitting right. I'm not that guy but I did both differentiating (grade 11) and integrating (grade 12).

I am barely going to enter uni this month.

What the fuck is going on? Is the US behind the rest of the world or something?
>>
>>7790189

Are you sure? Calc I includes integration in every American uni I've seen, it's just that in Calc II they go a lot more in-depth into it.

Calc 1: Differentiation, Integration
Calc 2: More integration, Infinite Series

(plus some other crap)

>>7790206

Keep in mind that you can take calc 1/2 during highschool and get credit so you don't have to take it in uni. It's called AP Calc. It's what a lot of STEM majors do, so they would have their first calc course in uni be multivariable vector calculus.
>>
>>7787603
I actually completely agree with you. The skills maths teaches are invaluable, and if everyone took 3 years of maths people would be much smarter there would be no politicians for example. Or global warming, or racism, or any other problem in the world.

However, since maths education even failed in high school (see New maths in USA), I doubt they would ever get this done. Instead I choose to isolate myself from society and only interact with other maths people. For me, it's the same result.
>>
>>7791957
The only "calc course" you should take first semester at uni is Real Analysis.
>>
I did master's in math and bachelor's in CS. From what I gathered it was the most efficient choices.
>>
>>7791978
>I did master's in math and bachelor's in CS.

This should not be possible at an European uni.
>>
File: science and math ed.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
science and math ed.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>7787603

You should really do the math before finishing high school
>>
>>7787611
https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

Agreed. Math education is very screwed up currently.
>>
>>7787611
This
Mathfags don't do their job properly.
>>
>>7787633
this doesnt make sense to me, can you explain?
>>
>>7788518

Same here. I am going back to university to complete a masters in teaching though.
>>
If everyone was a math major, math jobs would be in such high demand that math wouldn't pay anymore. Then history majors would be the ones actually making money because nobody would be a historian
>>
>>7792011
This picture is so much bullshit! How can kids learn p-adic Teichmüller theory at the age of 9 when they are not taught complex analysis at the age of 5?
>>
>>7787611
>>7792060

Doing calc 3 and differential equations in high school only leads to you being trained like a chimpanzee where you learn how to grind out problems. It doesn't teach you how to think.

Reading Lockharts Lament is probably the best starting point in fixing up this whole entire problem.
>>
Calc is for faggots, take analysis or do women studies.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.