[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any advice on someone who's been out of school for years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

any advice on someone who's been out of school for years who is taking this course? i certainly have to brush up on calculus because i scarcely remember that.

any advice for p chem i? or as my school calls it - quantum mechanics and spectroscopy.

pic related is the book we're using.
>>
>>7779311
here's the syllabus.

http://chemistry.fas.nyu.edu/docs/IO/19766/CHEMUA651.pchem.quantum.turner.spr2015.pdf

There are chapters in the textbook that brush you up on some of the math. I guess I'll look at those rather than picking up and reading a whole calculus book.
>>
>>7779326
>It’s important that you read the textbook!
>Alternate texts
>Radically different famous textbooks that do not cover the same material at all or is an entirely different level

>Recommended software
>Like everything fucking high level software instead of just saying "I'm probably going to use Julia for the course so learn that if you want to read my source code"

>This takes time and hard work, because telekinesis is involved
>telekinesis

What the fuck is this guy doing?

OP aside from this guy being really unprofessional he seems to have no fucking idea what he's doing. I highly recommend you do not take his ego course unless you really have to. You won't learn anything from this shithead.

That entire fucking pile of shit he wrote on problem solving is especially disconcerting.
>>
>>7779348
>Radically different famous textbooks that do not cover the same material at all or is an entirely different level

What? Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffths and Physical Chemistry by Atkins are frequently recommended as supplement/main texts for Quantum/Physical Chem courses. Harris and Bertolucci's Symmetry and Spectroscopy is more geared towards an Inorganic/Spectroscopy/Group Theory course but it's not inaccessible.

>Like everything fucking high level software instead

He says to use it for plotting. This isn't a coding class, what language you use isn't important.
>>
File: 1431312205428.jpg (141KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
1431312205428.jpg
141KB, 430x430px
How the fuck do you work with QM and solve Schrodinger's equation with no exposure to multivariable calc, O/PDEs, or lin alg?
>>
>>7779403
Turner pls go.

First of all it says "alternative", not "supplementary". Alternative implies you could use any of those texts to study the material needed for the course.

Griffiths is meant for a first exposure to physics undergrads and Atkins is introductory level meant for a second year first exposure physchem course.

>Harris and Bertolucci's Symmetry and Spectroscopy is more geared towards an Inorganic/Spectroscopy/Group Theory course but it's not inaccessible.
Completely different material from McQaurrie.

>>7779405
Because Quantum Chemistry is a completely different field from Quantum Mechanics. Another thing Turner doesn't seem to be aware of.
>>
>>7779418
>"alternative", not "supplementary"

Check your autism

>Griffiths is meant for a first exposure to physics undergrads

So? The beginning is mostly the same; they only diverge when you get to molecules.
>>
>>7779512
Turner pls...
>>
>>7779519
>>7779418
is this daniel turner my professor you are referring to?

>>7779348
what do you mean by 'ego course' it seems pretty helpful compared to the other professor who teaches this subject, whom i've taken before and is SHITTY.

http://chemistry.fas.nyu.edu/docs/IO/19766/chemua651.pchem.quantum.bacic.f2015.pdf

--

i'm OP btw, i just want to know how to best brush up for this class. I'll of course read the chapters in advance, but I certainly need to refresh my calculus to make sense of the math.
>>
>>7779708
This guy's syllabus seems much more reasonable actually.

You don't need to review calc. You remember more than you think. Just work through McQaurrie with your calc. and ODE text near and review only what's needed.
>>
>>7779716
i havent' taken a calc class in 6 years.. i definitely need to brush up on it.

ODE isn't a requirement so do i really need that?
>>
>>7779727
>i havent' taken a calc class in 6 years.. i definitely need to brush up on it.
You really don't. You've probably used calc. in your work/other classes. Do you remember how to integrate polynomials? You will probably be given a table for more difficult integration because you'd have one available in your and your professor isn't testing you on it. Beyond the basic shit Calc. is huge. Only revise specific areas when you get stuck on something.

I can't remember how McQaurrie uses Schrodinger's equation, but you will work with DEs yes and at the very least understand how they work (how to apply boundary conditions etc.). Also important for Stat. Mech.
>>
This Turner guy is a fucking retarded mongoloid who needs to get back into school and take an English class.

His writing is fucking atrocious.
>>
>>7779744
>you'd have one available in your work*
>>
>>7779751
He's a chemist. They aren't known for their mastery of linguistics. Though the fact that he uses the word telekinesis is very troubling to me.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.