[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me out /sci/ bros. I'm going to be graduating soon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: highered.png (184KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
highered.png
184KB, 640x360px
Help me out /sci/ bros.

I'm going to be graduating soon with a degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering. I've already got a job lined up, but from what I can tell, engineering in industry is often non-technical, uninteresting work.

I want to eventually move into something like R&D, where I might actually do some design work or interesting research. Should I get a Masters Degree as a part time student? Would I actually get more interesting work if I do this, or are masters degrees only memes? What will a masters degree do for me?

I'm not going to quit my job, because the opportunity cost of experience/money is too high. I would love continue my education, but I don't want to apply for a part-time program if it's just a waste of time.

Also, discuss higher education, PhD shit, etc
>>
>>7759976
Work through the industry/field until your employer will pay for your grad school tuition.
>>
>>7759976
>I've already got a job lined up, but from what I can tell, engineering in industry is often non-technical, uninteresting work.

Then you have the wrong job. Git gud, find a better job, and then do what >>7760093 said. Most decent employers will pay for college courses.

Going back for a master's is more useful, IMO, when you have a few years of experience under your belt and have a good idea of what the industry is really like (No matter what you think you know about the industry right now, you don't the whole story.), where you want to go in your career, and what you didn't learn as an undergrad that you wish you had or would be useful to where you want to go.

Don't wait too long; once you have a wife and kids, your free time is gone forever.
>>
Bumping this, because I'm in the same boat.

Are there are certain fields of electrical engineering that are more interesting and intellectually challenging?

How much easier is it to get into R&D without a PhD (masters + 5 yrs exp = PhD)?
>>
File: Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533.jpg (193KB, 1536x768px) Image search: [Google]
Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533.jpg
193KB, 1536x768px
>>7760114
>(masters + 5 yrs exp = PhD)?

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if a billion Ph.Ds cried out in rage and reached for their keyboards to type a response.

If, by some chance, you actually get into an true research organization, people with actual Ph.Ds will treat you like a trained monkey, no matter how talented you are. Because of the shit one has to go through to actually get a Ph.D, they are super duper touchy about academic credentials.
>>
>>7760126
Hmm. I'm not going to claim that one inherently needs a PhD to be a top-notch researcher, however, I don't think I have seen a case where someone without a PhD trumped someone who had one.

Must be rare, since if you're actually interested in research (I don't mean just doing lab-shit), a PhD is sort of the logical choice.
>>
How does one get a job in engineering if one has no prior work experience, but a degree?
>>
see >>>/r9k/25464233

you fell for a fucking meme, dude.
>>
>>7760262
Gotta do interns and co-ops and shit
>>7760268
Saturation isn't even the issue here. I got into engineering because I legitimately liked the coursework, and was promised a decent job when I left school. I got what was advertised, just that it's a bit more boring than I thought.
>>
>>7760325
Any advice on how to find interns and coops?
>>
>>7760330
Assuming you're still a student, see if your school has some sort of career center, hosts any job fairs, or has any information meetings. Start from there, then apply for positions online.

I don't know what you should do if you've already graduated. I guess you should just keep applying, and lower your standards if you have to.
>>
>>7759976
As a ChemE I did undergrad internships at R&D labs and while I myself went the grad-school route plenty of my fellow graduates are now working at national and private R&D labs alike with only a bachelors.

I don't know what it's like for EE, but you really don't need to get a masters to get into research.
>>
>>7759976
it doesn't matter how good your degree is, getting a job that doesn't suck is a matter of luck.
>>
>>7759976
just hide in your office and play vidya games
>>
Hey so I fucked up my undergrad grades a bit but I was interested in grad school. Is it possible to get in if you accumulate enough work experience and can get a high gre score?
>>
>>7759976
Yes a masters will definitely open up more interesting positions. I'm in the same boat as you fucking tired of writing CRUD apps.
>>
>>7759976
I'm in my final year of a part time undergrad electronics/control systems degree. The company i work for paid for the tuition fees etc. I wouldn't recommend going into private commercial industry if you enjoy the theory. IMO private companies quite often want qualified people so that they can make difficult business decisions on the back of what they have learned, which is not really what you learn at university. I say if you enjoy the pure engineering/theory, stick with it. Especially if you feel confident going on towards phd level.
>>
>>7760126
phd is literally just a paper saying you have done baby's first research.
>>
>>7761828
>2016
>actually recommending people to go to grad school
is this the new meme of 2016?
>>
File: goldman.jpg (42KB, 648x365px) Image search: [Google]
goldman.jpg
42KB, 648x365px
>go to ivy league school
>study history
>work as consultant or investment banker
>have a better life than public school engineers
>>
Navy m8. Not even joking - look into it.

They have a huge shortage of engineers here in bongland, you can pretty much pick and choose whatever the fuck jobs you want.
>>
Quit now and get a masters in arts
>>
>>7763602
are you an engineer in the navy?

Thinking about joining but not sure what it's actually like
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.