[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bros: >Math >MechEs >CivilEs >ChemEs >NukEs >Bio_

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: Niceproprietarysoftware.jpg (55KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
Niceproprietarysoftware.jpg
55KB, 580x346px
Bros:
>Math
>MechEs
>CivilEs
>ChemEs
>NukEs
>Bio_
>Chemistry

Not Bros:
>Physics
>EEs
>CS
>Actuarial math
>BiomedE
>Medical science

/discuss.
>>
Some high level discussion on /sci/ today
>>
Civil engineer detected
>>
Chemfag here. Pretty accurate

Add geo bros in there too, they're pretty cool

CE and CS in my school are usually retarded indians
>>
This is spot on.

>Physics
Autists who think they're smart for knowing stuff others don't care about.

>EEs
>CS
Wagecucks who just want to work at Google.

>Actuarial math
Another group of wagecucks, except this time business/finance/banking instead of computers.

>BiomedE
>Medical science
Obnoxious premeds.
>>
>>7756175
Bros:
>Math
My nigga, that's my degree. Total bros here
>The next ones
sure
>Bio
Not bros nigga. First because 90% of bio majors are women so they can't be bros. But you know, nothing wrong with women in STEM. It is just that most people who study biology seem to be stupid and bad at math.

Not bros:
>Physics:
Insecure faggots who couldn't make up their mind if they wanted to be applied or pure. So they didn't choose mathematics or engineering, they chooe the shitstain inbetween. A lot of them are already regretting that decision. Insecure fags are not bros.

>EEs
Not completely but in /sci/ EEs seem to have a really inflated ego. EEs from /sci/ are not bros. I think they are probably the only engineers who actually take it up the ass.

>CS
You want to go to college but you are literally retarded? Go CS. Retarded fags are not bros.

>Actuarial math
Here I don't understand why one would do 'specific' math instead of just math and then do a masters. To work as an actuary you are expected to have a masters anyways.

>BiomedE
The same as bio. not bros

>Medical science
Are these pre-meds? Because if so then you already know what I'm going to say.
>>
What's all the hate on physics? Sure there are some autists but the students I've met there are really chill and like learning new things
>>
>>7756296
Agreed, geobros are bros.
>>
>>7756321
We're talking about a group of people who chose their major because of The Big Bang Theory.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/nov/06/big-bang-theory-physics-boom
>>
>>7756175
>>7756316
>>7756317
^ People too stupid to understand any serious physics.
>>
>>7756324
Jesus christ how horrifying.
>>
>>7756324
There are people that do that and make it past 1st year? This worries me.
>>7756325
I see why you guys don't like us now
>>
>>7756325
Mathematicians understand pure physics far better than physics majors.

Mathematical physics is the only pure physics worth pursing and everything else is essentially just a poor man's engineer.
>>
>>7756330
>Mathematicians understand pure physics far better than physics majors.
A mathematician would kill themselves trying to do QFT.
>>
>>7756338
>QFT
>Challenging
No it's not. Not from a math stand point nor a physical stand point.

Pls nigger pleeeease
>>
>>7756338
>Muh path integrals!
>Muh tensors!
>Muh baby's first manifolds!

m8...
>>
>>7756341
I didn't say it would be too challenging. The way we do calculations and come to conclusions in QFT is what mathematicians would kill themselves over. They couldn't do it.
>>
>>7756348
Just because it's not rigorous does not make it difficult to do unless you are truly on the spectrum.
>>
>>7756325
>serious physics?

By serious you mean physics that can be used to better the world. Like things we can apply to help our society?

If so then engineers understand serious physics better than your sad ass.

No? By serious you meant like really complex physics that makes you think a lot and makes you laugh when Sheldon says a joke about them in the big bang theory. And you laugh because you know your friend doesn't understand the joke because he's too busy fucking his girlfriend but you laugh because you understand it because you took basic physics I last semester?

Then mathematicians will beat you on that shit.
The shit you do in your senior year are theories that were formed from the branches of mathematics that math majors study in their senior year.

That is why you can easily go to grad school in physics with just a math degree. They take you in cause they know you are probably going to be the first to graduate anyways.
>>
ITT physics majors finally get told

long overdue
>>
>>7756325
lol this is so funny.

Let me shed a little be of truth on ya.

>Engineering
Here you will learn all the physics you need to get a job/be succesful in life

>Mathematics
Here you will learn all the mathematics you will need to get a job/be succesful in life

>Physics
Here you will learn all the physics that won't land you a job and also all the mathematics that won't land you a job.
>>
Pure math is hard for me, I'll keep trying to understand geometry, abstract algebra, and syntax formalities till it strums an epiphany.

I realized you can rotate a graphed function upside down and hold it in front of a mirror to make give the function output of -x.
>>
>>7756175
OP and everyone who agrees with him is literally more retarded then a CS major.
>>
>>7756317
>EEs from /sci/ are not bros. I think they are probably the only engineers who actually take it up the ass.
Throw Petroleum Engineers in there too
>>
I believe anybody who studies a scientific field out of interest is a bro (even if you're a female, you're a bro to me). If it's a passion and you put forth your best effort, take every opportunity given to you and you make it into a graduate degree/entry-job working for a graduate degree or live comfortably, then you're living life and are a bro. I don't care what field you're in. I'm a geo/bio double major, and the highest math I've taken was calculus.
>>
File: scope out.jpg (110KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
scope out.jpg
110KB, 736x1040px
>>7756175
>CS and Math double major
Both ends of the spectrum, baby
>>
>>7756316
>Wagecucks who just want to work at Google

How dare we do something we enjoy that can get us actual jobs wherever the hell we feel like living in the world.

Also, you're welcome for this website and the internet.
>>
>>7757358
Indeed but in the autism spectrum.

>>7757472
>Also, you're welcome for this website and the internet.

HAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

>Be CS major
>Downloads pre-made imageboard code
>Hehe tol' you guys. We good at this. Here I created my own imageboard: 4chins, like the 4 chins I have from how fat I am.

Also

>Pure math masterrace

You're welcome for computers
You're welcome for the first insight into algorithms and data structure
You're welcome for everything you braindead fucks wouldn't even be able to comprehend if top tier mathematicians hadn't been hired to publish books to dumb it down a little bit for the retards (Like Don Knuth).

Also, you are welcome for this website and the internet because statistically a lot of mathematicians also work in software.
>>
>>7756175
Bros:
>Pure Math
>Logic
>Comp Sci

Not Bros:
>MechEs
>CivilEs
>ChemEs
>NukEs
>Bio_
>Chemistry
>Physics
>EEs
>Actuarial math
>BiomedE
>Medical science

get rekt
>>
>>7757489
Me again. I should've separated CS into two fields.

Bros:
CS who do hardass theory

Not Bros:
Everybody else (that includes you MLP-fags, fedora-fags, and everyone who doesn't fucking shower)
>>
>>7756175
Chemfag premed reporting in.

Why the disdain towards medfags? Makes me sad.
>>
>>7759076

anything slightly related to bio is fedora-tipping faggotry

as a bio fag, I agree with this sentiment, because you can actually subsist on Fourier analysis and imaginary numbers.

They're delicious. Almost as delicious as sage.
>>
>>7756316
>Not including Bio_ in the obnoxious premed catagory
>>7756175
Pretty good list.

I'd move Bio_ to the not bros catagory because of the premed thing, and their eagerness to embrace meme tier popsci. Not a bad area of study though.

Young Nuke E's are pretentious not bros too because of their "my major sounds cool thus I'm cool" attitude.
>>
biomedE is the hardest major of all time.
>>
computer major here. I went for this degree because I don't want /sci/ to think I'm retarded.
>>
>>7759381
>going for a degree based on /sci/ approval instead of following your desires (assuming your desires are remotely lucrative)
CS is fun though, especially on the theoretical side. Just be modest + compassionate and love what you're doing and you're as bro tier as anyone else
>>
>>7756175
>Actuarial math
What's wrong with actuarial work?
>>
>>7756317
I'm double majoring in pure math and CS because I at least want some sort of applicable skill. Did I fuck up? I'm nearly done and have a 3.9 gpa, since my school takes A- to be worth 3.7.
>>
>>7757495
Fucking THANK you. I don't even tell people I'm getting a CS degree outside of my pure math degree because I don't want to be associated with the fucking walking memes.
>>
>>7759618
Thanks, anon
>>
aeronautical engineering master race here. most of you faggots can not even pronounce aeronautical
>>
>>7759090
>anything slightly related to bio is fedora-tipping faggotry
the fedora stereotype is usually aimed at ignorant stemfags tho
>>
>>7759640
Is it

"erronotikal"?
>>
>>7760134
"Errornartugal"
FTFY
>>
Physics is the only reason the "bros" other than biology are relevant.

No Calculus, mechanical, or civil engineers without Newton.
No modern model of the atom without Ernest Rutherford.
>>
File: 1358028326832.jpg (88KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1358028326832.jpg
88KB, 768x768px
>>7757358
>doing ME because it's the most flexible field and I like airplanes
>start realizing that I enjoy stupid abstract bullshit, wonder if I should've gone CS or math
>at the same time be pretty meh about dealing with material deformations and that kind of thing

I'm gonna do a minor in the latter since it's only 6 more credit hours, but what am I missing out on?
>>
>>7756175
>No earth sciences
That's not very gneiss of you guys
>>
>>7757480
Freshman math major detected :^)
>>
Bros:
>Mathematicians
>CS
>EEs
>Chemists
>Classical musicians
>Sculptors, painters
>Drama students
>Fashion designers

Not Bros:
>Physicists
>Engineers
>Social scientists
>Philosophers, theologians
>Art historians, historians
>>
File: 959.jpg (25KB, 462x348px) Image search: [Google]
959.jpg
25KB, 462x348px
>>7759591
Just another case of OP talking out of his ass
>>
>>7761066
>historians
>not bros
The students maybe
All the profs I know are bro tier and excellent to chat with at the bar.
>>
>>7761043
I'm on the same boat.
>>
>>7756317
>>EE on sci have inflated egos

Translation: EE is considered difficult on /sci/
>>
How about med students?
>>
>>7756324
I have a master degree on physics and I dont like this show at all, that article is us bullshit
>>
>>7761052
Earth sciences are always forgotten. Forget it, want a beer?
>>
>>7759616
Don't fool yourself. Math also has applicable skills but throwing in CS will be a plus. If you end up working in software you will probably see a couple of guys who just studied math but you will have more insight into algorithms and data structures and because of the double major will get the promotions first.

>>7761064
Butthurt CS fag detected.
>>
File: me.jpg (24KB, 349x349px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
24KB, 349x349px
You're all faggots IRL so it's not like this thread is going to change anything.
>>
>>7756317
Bio bitches are usually premeds, real biologist are rarely female.
>>
>>7757480
>I majored in math, therefore I'm Donald Knuth
Mathfag delusion strikes again.
>>
W-what if I'm just biomed?
>>
File: this thread.jpg (48KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
this thread.jpg
48KB, 500x667px
>>7756175
>>
>>7762431
What are you talking about? I didn't said that. In fact, I wouldn't have said that if the CS guy hadn't been delusional enough to think that we ought to thank him for the things other people in his field did.

I was just reminding him that CS was built on the shoulders of mathematicians. People like Don Knuth were literally hired to write books so that non-mathematicians could also comprehend computers.

Am I saying that by studying mathematics I am in any way like Don Knuth? No. He is one of the big guys, very few of us can hope to achieve what he did.

But lets not forget that still today, the giants of computation are mathematicians, not computer scientists.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.