[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any metallurgyfags around here? Specifically steels. Technically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 1404024833661.gif (4MB, 666x326px) Image search: [Google]
1404024833661.gif
4MB, 666x326px
Any metallurgyfags around here?

Specifically steels. Technically this is /k/ related, but the question is really a metallurgical one. If I wanted to manufacture a gas piston-like device for a rifle meant to receive a small volume of high temperature, high pressure gas (peak of ~20000PSI for around 6 milliseconds) while resisting rust, ablative wear, heat cycling, and standard abrasive friction wear, what kind of stainless would I need?

Keep in mind, being easy to machine would be a bonus. I was thinking 440F (free machining 440 stainless), but data sheet indicates porosity; I don't think this is an issue but I'm no material engineer. INCONEL or titanium could be an option if they provide enough performance to be worth it.

Carrier tilt unrelated.
>>
>>7755349
google "gun steel" or "highly durable steel"
>>
>>7755356
So when you're tasked to go to the bakery and find out if its possible to have a cake with fruit filling, vanilla topping, with or without sprinkles, you walk into a bakery and go "I want a cake please"?

Very helpful.
>>
>>7755349
What's wrong with 7075-T6 aluminum?
>>
>>7755349
Try D-Series Tool Steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_steel#High_carbon-chromium:_the_D-series
>>
>>7755365
>what's wrong
Low melting temperature
Low wear resistance
Low ablative wear resistance
Low stability in heat cycling
Low oxidation resistance in high temperature
Will most likely fail within less than 100 cycles
Required to function for upwards of 20000 cycles (significantly less than 100 cycles)

>what's right
Cheap
Easy to machine
Corrosion resistance in regular temperatures

Using 7075 for this is kinda like using balsa wood for a car's engine piston...

>>7755376
Not bad, added to the list of candidates. Right now I'm looking at the properties of stainless 316, 304, 416, and 440.
>>
>>7755378
347 stainless looks good too
>>
>>7755378
7075 well exceed your requirements by a ong shot, and even top manufacturers like Noveske use it for their receivers. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>7755384
>receiver
>same as a gas block, gas tube, gas key, barrel, bolt

I build AR-15s in my spare time, receivers can be made out of fucking plastic. They do not come into direct contact with high temperature, high pressure gas from the cartridge firing. The receiver, and other parts made of aluminum, are the frame of the firearm, and the actual steel parts (bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, gas block, etc) are made of steel, because they are subjected to environments that would cut aluminum like butter.

You have no idea how a firearm actually works.
>>
>>7755392
>They do not come into direct contact with high temperature, high pressure gas from the cartridge firing

The upper does. The barrel connects directly to the front of it, and it holds the bolt carrier, so heat gets conducted to it, esp. under full auto/ burst fire.
>>
>>7755392
Why are you even making this thread? Go look up gas piston system manufacturers and see what steel they use.
>>
>>7755384
>>7755394
>7075
>as a piston
>literally an inch away from a barrel port
>tens of thousands of PSI at +1000 celcius D I R E C T L Y jetting on the piston
>7075

AHAHAHAH OH WOW

>>7755394
Heat conducting from a steel part (barrel, barrel extension, bolt, bolt carrier) to the aluminum upper =! direct jet of hellfire against the material.
>>
>>7755396
My use is slightly different than a regular gas piston, but close enough to use as an example; the specifications outlined in the opening post are the exact requirements. I thought there might be a metallurgyfag in here that could help me narrow things out.

I was hoping that giving an idea of what this was for would skip posts like "but OP what is this for", so far it seems to have only distracted the thread direction.
>>
>>7755396
>>7755349
420 is used in M14 pistons
>>
>>7755349
Give Stainless 316L, 17-4PH, Inconel 718 or Ti 6-4 a look. These are probably the cheapest you're gonna get so would be a good idea to try them first. Otherwise, machining costs increase dramatically.
>>
>>7755426
Thanks a lot, I'm checking those out right now.
>>
>>7755349
how do you gunfags shoot guns without going deaf
>>
>>7755459
Hearing protection.

I wear hearing protection whenever I even think there will be loud noises. I sometimes need to use compressed air (120PSI) at work, and I put in earplugs for that too.

With many guns, earplugs with earmuffs is a good idea.
>>
>>7755464
without hearing protection like in the military
>>
>>7755472
Hearing loss is one of the most common problems with soldiers. In training, I think they wear plugs but I'm not sure.

There are also valve earplugs that let sounds through, but loud noises close the valve (one-way membrane) and protect hearing.
>>
Kinda related to the thread, but who would I go see if I wanted an estimation of forces various parts are subjected to? I have the variables, such as the mass of all moving components, pressure/time graphs, volume of gas, etc, but there are other variables that would take a while to explain typed out.

Would a mechanical engineer be able to work out the math of a non standard piston system that has certain features?
>>
>>7755477
just use hard and flexible steel that is oxidation resistant and you're good to go
>>
>>7755472
>like in the military
it's not WW2 anymore
every decent military issues sound adaptive earplugs
>>
>>7755477

Yeah a mechanical engineer should be able to help with that. Of course you could always do ptrotyping and try to measure the forces empirically.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.