[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pass Differential Equations with an A >able to do the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (291KB, 446x561px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
291KB, 446x561px
>pass Differential Equations with an A
>able to do the calculations and such
>don't understand what the fuck I am doing

How fucked am I as an engineer? Pic related. I don't even know what this equation is suppose to be used for in real life. In other words, I don't know how to apply any of the Math. Truth this, this started in Calculus II. I just considered the Math alphabet soup and went through the motions.
>>
>How fucked am I as an engineer?
You're like any other engineer, what's the problem? They do their job too.
>>
>>7754722

You learn the tools in a Math class and you learn to apply them in your Engineering classes. Don't worry too much.
>>
>>7754722
>How fucked am I as an engineer?

It kinda depends. A lot of mediocre engineers just plug numbers into stock equations and use the results without even thinking about them and it works for them, career-wise. That being said, if you have a "feel" for the math, you can be a lot more productive and successful as an engineer.
>>
>>7754722
Engineers use computers now. Don't worry. Just be able to identify when to use what method. That's about it in the real world.
>>
you should draw your s's so they don't look so much like 5s
>>
>>7755061
>>7754738
What the fuck? As a stupid 18 year old, this dumbfounds me. Engineering is glorified, how can it be this fucking easy? Are they actually no better than a finance bean counter, or is this just a /sci/ meme?
>>
>>7755080

No. You still need to understand the concepts of what you are leaening and when to use them and what are its limitations. Engineers don't have to be human calculators anymore, but you need to establish how to logically think through problems and develop critical thinking skills

I never was bothered by not calculating the right answer since i ran out of time and wasn't allowed to use reference materials. I never got the highest grades but i sure knew what i learned and could reference it.

If you do a senior design project with a group, you'll learn what i mean as many high gpa folks don't know how to solve problems and given exact instructions. That'll be about half your classmates sadly.
>>
>>7755080
Relax. This is year 2 stuff. Besides, knowing anything past pde's is up to the mathematicians.
>>
>>7754722
>In calc. II
>Hasn't taken any engineering classes yet
>"Why don't I understand where I use this yet?"

>>7755061
>>7755080
The thing about tools are that everyone has access to them. Arithmetic used to be a skill that people paid money for before calculators where developed.

Same thing in engineering, no one pays you to plug numbers because any tech can do the same thing. The difficult problem is the engineering art in design itself or when the problem is so complex (which all problems at big companies are) that available software can't solve the problem and you need to develop new software to solve it (this is what most engineers do when they write new code), though only the best engineers do the latter. So pay attention in numerical analysis and PDEs and take some topos and func anal electives if you want big money.
>>
Man, I'm in my 5th year of engineering. You eventually learn that 90% of the shit is empirically done because friction fucks with most systems more complicated than something you can do by hand.
When you're building shit, most justifications for numbers is they're nice and easy to do in your head.
Every engineer goes through the same shit you do, and then you realize that empirical solutions are literally the best because they are way more accurate than idealistic modeling.
>>
>>7755106
That really depends on everything from your discipline to your industry to your company.

I hate it when people use the term "engineer" as if the jobs in such a vast discipline is even slightly related.

It's like a sociologists or biologist trying to tell everyone what his/her job as a "scientist" is like.
>>
>>7755080
>What the fuck? As a stupid 18 year old, this dumbfounds me. Engineering is glorified, how can it be this fucking easy? Are they actually no better than a finance bean counter, or is this just a /sci/ meme?

90% of engineering is "routine" engineering where you need to solve a problem or build something that's been done a lot of times before. For example, new models of TVs or microwave ovens come out every year and the really aren't that much different year over year. That doesn't absolve you of actually having to know the basics but that's good enough to solve whatever you're facing.

The other 10% of the time, where you need to solve something that not a lot of people have done before or (God help you) you're the first person ever to build such a thing; that's what separates the real engineers from the wannabes.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.