[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having trouble deriving arc length of functions. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: expand arc length.png (769KB, 1125x800px) Image search: [Google]
expand arc length.png
769KB, 1125x800px
I'm having trouble deriving arc length of functions. I'm using a vector-oriented approach, if that's alright. I'm doing this because I don't understand the [math]1+(f')^2[/math] part of the standard formula, and I don't like using formulae I don't understand.

So far I have this:
Let [math]d(\vec{u},\vec{v})[/math] be the Euclidean distance function between two vectors [math]\vec{u}[/math] and [math]\vec{v}[/math], defined by [eqn]d(\vec{u},\vec{v})=\left \| \vec{v}-\vec{u} \right \|[/eqn]. Let [math]f(x)[/math] be any "reasonable" function. (By "reasonable", I mean continuously differentiable on the closed interval [math][a,b][/math], with no singularities, crazy fractal stuff, etc. I think the proof works as long as it's continuous, actually. I could be wrong.)
To obtain the arc length of [math]f(x)[/math] on the interval [math][a,b][/math], we have to rectify the curve generated by [math]f(x)[/math]. We add up the distances between infinitesimal parts of [math]f[/math]:
[eqn]\int_{a}^{b}d(f(x),f(x+h))dx[/eqn]

We are working in 2D, so here's the explicit formula for [math]d(\vec{u},\vec{v})[/math].
Let [math]\vec{u}=\left \langle x_1,y_1 \right \rangle[/math] and [math]\vec{v}=\left \langle x_2,y_2 \right \rangle[/math]
[eqn]\vec{v}-\vec{u}=\left \langle x_2-x_1,y_2-y_1 \right \rangle[/eqn]
[eqn]d(\vec{u},\vec{v})=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2)}[/eqn]
Now, let's substitute [math]\vec{u}=\left \langle a,f(a) \right \rangle[/math] and [math]\vec{v}=\left \langle a+h,f(a+h) \right \rangle[/math] where [math]a[/math] is some number on [math]f[/math] and [math]h[/math] is a small number (infinitesimal, you know?).
[eqn]d(\vec{u},\vec{v})=\lim_{h \to 0}\sqrt{((a+h)-(a))^2+(f(a+h)-f(a))^2}[/eqn]

That's where I hit a hitch. I'm not sure how to get rid of that h and replace it with a derivative or something more practical. Oh,[math]((a+h)-a)^2=h^2[/math], right? [math]h[/math] is infinitesimal. Is squaring an issue? Or does it become so small as to be considered nothing?
>>
Why don't the eqn tags work?
[eqn]test[/eqn]
[math]test[/math]
>>
File: 1448828428619.gif (956KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448828428619.gif
956KB, 500x500px
Curves are stupid

join the straight-line-and-rational-numbers-only master race
>>
>>7754029
>he proof works as long as it's continuous, actually. I could be wrong.
f needs to be of bounded variation

>I'm not sure how to get rid of that h and replace it with a derivative
Pull h out of the square root. Also you start with a sum, not with an integral. So you obtain the integral in the limit.
>>
You take n amount points in arc and make a approximation by drawing straight lines by the points. Now when n approaches infinity we get the desired lenght
>>
You have a curve [math](t,f(t)): [a,b] \to \mathbb{R^2} [/math].
You take a sequence of equidistant partitions [math] (t^{(n)}_i) [/math] of the interval [math] [a,b] [/math],
[math]a = t^{(n)}_0 < t^{(n)}_1 < \ldots < t^{(n)}_n = b [/math]

then the arc length is
[math] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} d(c(t^{(n)}_{i+1}), c(t^{(n)}_i)) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \sqrt{(t^{(n)}_{i+1} - t^{(n)}_i)^2 + (f(t^{(n)}_{i+1}) - f(t^{(n)}_i))^2}[/math]

Now thanks to Taylor we know that [math]f((t^{(n)}_{i+1}) - f(t^{(n)}_i)) \approx f'(t^{(n)}_i) (t^{(n)}_{i+1} - t^{(n)}_i) [/math]

So
[math] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \sqrt{(t^{(n)}_{i+1} - t^{(n)}_i)^2 + (f(t^{(n)}_{i+1}) - f(t^{(n)}_i))^2} = \lim_{n \to \infty}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \sqrt{1 + (f'(t^{(n)}_i))^2 } (t^{(n)}_{i+1} - t^{(n)}_i) = \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (f'(t))^2} dt[/math]
>>
>>7754034
>yfw any straight line contains more points that have an irrational ordinate than points that have only rational ordinates
>>
File: wildburger.png (195KB, 1650x1050px) Image search: [Google]
wildburger.png
195KB, 1650x1050px
>>7754034
*tips berdora*
>>
>>7754525
and yet you cannot show us any of those "irrational ordinate" because they are ill defined.
>>
>>7754649
>they're not defined the way I want them to be
>therefore they do not exist
>>
>>7754731
sue me

present me with any construction of "irrational numbers" and I will debunk it right here.
>>
>>7754737
Cauchy sequences
>>
>>7754768
what about them?
Q is not complete
>>
>>7754779
Cauchy sequences are used to construct the reals by completing Q. If you don't understand the construction how are you going to "debunk" it?
>>
>>7754737
what the hell is your problem with Dedekind cuts to construct the reals and then irrationals are just numbers which aren't rational?
>>
>>7754737
The completion of Q
>>
[math]\frac{255}{\pi}\left(sin^{-1}\left(sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}x\right)\right)+cos^{-1}\left(cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}x\right)\right)\right)[/math]
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.