[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /sci/, how does my resume look? I'm job hunting well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled-2.jpg (604KB, 2053x903px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
604KB, 2053x903px
Well /sci/, how does my resume look? I'm job hunting well I start my Masters.
>>
>3 pages
>Grad Student
>Only one professional experience in your field

Try to shrink it to 2 pages.

Also, trim the fat on the skills that don't apply to whatever you're going for. EEs don't care if you know how to network.
>>
>>7753795

Well it's technically two summers with them and a 16 month project for said company.
>>
>>7753776
>I'm job hunting well I start my masters

I have a hard time believing that. There's a typo already.
>>
Way to long, 3 pages is too much. Aim for 1 page, at most 2. There's too much detail. Generally you want to tailor the resume to the job you are applying to, so remove all the crap in your technical skills and mention only the things that are relevant. Same for your projects. Also, some of your points are retarded. For example:

>Worked with other IT professionals in maintaining services on campus

utterly useless. What can I gain from reading this? I read it and then I go "Ok, so what?". Revamp all your points and condense everything for a maximum of 3 bullet points. Long resumes aren't necessarily better. Keep them short and succinct. Also, add some color, make it stand out more.
>>
>>7753803

>Worked with other IT professionals in maintaining services on campus

I get that, he's saying he worked him professionals at doing a big task. He's not a professional yet so he has to sell himself as one.

I think when applying for jobs really strip down your technical skills. Keep a copy of this one as your "bank". Add to it as you go.

You really do have to tailor though.
>>
>>7753776
>resume
>more than one page
bruh.

Here's some tips:
>reduce whitespace. Try to compact headings, for example, and spacing between lines and sections, but without making it too unreadable
>stop with the fucking paragraphs. Resumes, on average, are probably looked at for about 30-40 seconds before being accepted or tossed. Keep bulleted points brief so that during interviews, you can actually be asked questions.
>Tailor the resume for the specific application. It's fine to have that stuff all as a general resume (like shit you'd have on a site like LinkedIn) but cut the clutter and non-relevant shit for specific applications.
>Don't list references. Nowadays, it's usually a thing that you put on "available upon request"
>>
>>7753817

Everything, so much this. You better thank this guy, OP.
>>
>>7753776
>that objective statement
Ask not what your employer can do for you, ask what you can do for your employer

Consider removing projects, it goes without saying that you do school projects

Include your GPA, most places I applied to asked for it explicitly, so save them the trouble of asking

Way too much whitespace

Reduce technical skills to include stuff relevant to each application
>>
>>7753873

GPA isn't great. At the end of 2nd year it was 2.2. Now it's 2.8 and I made the dean's list, but overall, not fantastic.

Really hated those first year courses.
>>
>>7753878
Jesus Christ

How did you get into grad school?

Is your major GPA good? You could include that instead. If not, then yeah, leave it off
>>
>>7753884

Really strong reference letters and recently high grades.

My former employers really liked me too, but the old manager is no more and the guy who would be hiring me back is notoriously slow moving. Taking my chances elsewhere.
>>
>>7753884

And yeah, last 60 credit hours my GPA was 3.4. This semester it was 3.8.
>>
>not having a resume longer than 1 page
>not using Latex

Even my compressed CV with all internships and not completed degree is about 2 pages long.

I know some people with so much work and project experience that they just link to their CV online. It's well accepted.
>>
File: resume blanked.png (21KB, 367x374px) Image search: [Google]
resume blanked.png
21KB, 367x374px
>>7753776
There's a lot of blank space there. You'll find that this is bad, especially in a resume. Three pages is way too much in a resume, as well. So a few pointers.

1. Ditch the objectives section
2. Resume's aren't papers, get rid of the excess spacing on your bullet points.
3. Ditch anything wordy.
4. Don't say anything about grades, beyond your GPA, and only list GPA if it's worth bragging about
5. Get rid of redundancy in your projects. Employers don't need to know much more other than the broad strokes of it. Again, ditch the grade received portion. Only tell what it did and what your contribution to it. If it comes up in the interview, go in depth in person.
6. Put your language skills in the technical skills, instead of education.
7. In your extracurricular and achievements section, take out the sub-points for each of them
8. References should be included in your cover letter, or on a separate sheet of paper, not necessarily in the resume itself.

Ideally your resume should be a 1 page snapshot of discussion points in the interview. Over time it should also change as you get more relevant experience, and things you did a long time ago don't matter any more. I'll show you mine so far, even though I know I have a lot of room to improve on it.
>>
>>7753817
>>7753932
>>7753873
>>7753795

Thanks for the advice guys.

To give you some context, here's a job I'll be applying for.

https://www.careerbeacon.com/posting/501262/nautel-limited/electronics-engineer/hackett-s-cove/

I have no experience in industry with these components, but I have tons in school. The projects and my technical skills demonstrate this.

I've changed the font and some spacing and got it down to two pages.

>>7753873

I've debated this, but I think ultimately, the more it looks like the company can gain from me the better.
>>
>>7753896

holy cow, you really turned that around.

You seem like someone who is genuinely really into what he's doing now. Play on that, employers love employees who think their jobs are hobbies.
>>
>>7753940
Definitely keep the projects section, though trim the fat relating to them. It's good to show your employers you have experience actually putting what you learned to use, instead of just saying you learned it. But again, try to get your project descriptions down to about 2 lines each. For the love of god don't say the number of credit hours that you put into each of them. It doesn't show anything about your work ethic or skills learned/applied in the project itself. You may want to keep the fact that you won 1st place on the one project though.

Never forget that your resume can be tailored to the job you're applying for in any situation. You could just save the current format as your draft, then pull pieces for each job you apply for based on relevancy. If you're trying to get a job doing network security, focus on your software and network experience. Alternatively if you're doing some work regarding assembly of hardware, focus on your electrical/hardware stuff. Just remember that you can edit it before submitting it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.