[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/ Do we have any geologists here? My friend gave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_1643.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1643.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hello /sci/

Do we have any geologists here?

My friend gave me a piece of a rock. He tells me it's a piece of meteorite but I'm not sure. I think it looks a little too perfect, and it isn't magnetic. Is it a type of cannon ball or a ball used in a large tumbler or grinder? The pieces on the inside are quite brittle.

What is it?
>>
File: IMG_1644.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1644.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7751331
Here's a shot of the outside.
>>
Looks like schist.

Everything looks like schist.
>>
Wow where did he get it? That is a meteorite and it's rare. I have seen smaller ones like that sell for around 6 thousand usd. Do you plan on selling? Would you mind giving me contact info?
>>
>>7751345
He gave me this piece, but I asked him to bring the others tonight. I'm fairly certain it was a sphere 5cm in diameter. The grains go along the radius. They aren't parallel. A friend of mine found some similar looking objects about 15 years ago. I remember breaking some opened and they looked very similar. He had buckets and buckets of them at his house. This person doesn't live too far so I thought perhaps they were from a similar source.

>>7751347
What are you even doing on /sci/?
>>
If its density is between 3.0-3.7 g/cm^3, then its a chondrite meteorite.

So weigh it dry and then dunk it in water
>>
>>7751409

Provide better pictures with less depth of field.

It's probably a geode of some sort. It's not a meteorite.
>>
>not magnetic
Most likely not a meteorite.
>>
File: IMG_1645.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1645.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7751509
Sorry all I have is a terrible cell phone camera. I was trying to do my best with a loupe. He brought some other pieces. Each of them is only 3-5 grams.
>>
File: IMG_1652.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1652.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7751853
Here's a better one.
>>
File: IMG_1651.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1651.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7751864
He also found this nearby.
>>
What was the exact location?
>>
>>7751954
>the hills in tennessee
>>
>>7751853
Geologist here.
Looks like a pyroclast, but resulting from industry i.e:man-made and not by 'natural processes'.
The other sample found nearby has pyrite, aka fool's gold; this plus the red colour implies iron. I would say these rocks are a type of pyroclastic slag. Waste product of iron refining/processing. The uniform fracturing or cleavage aswell as the overall spherical form betrays a man-made origin.
The outside shiny, vitrious black layer is due to the rapid cooling of the mined ore being processed.
To be 100%, test for it's Hardness (can you scratch it with your nail, a copper coin, a steel blade or diamond) and it's weight and density (as per anon's post on dry and wet weighing + it's displacement in water to get it's volume.)

If you have powerful enough magnification, you might also be able to see some inclusions and their morphology which can also help confirm your samples' nature.
>>
File: crystal1.jpg (77KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
crystal1.jpg
77KB, 720x960px
Can anyone identify these crystals? They come from Koolyanobbing open cut mine in Australia
>>
Geologist bro?
>>
>>7752109
I'll have to get some more tools then. I don't have any devices capable of measuring liquid with much accuracy. All I've got at the moment is a 6x jewler's loupe and a small scale. Thanks for the information.

The large sample is harder than copper but softer than steel.
>>
>>7752120
Looks a lot like quartz, really
>>
>>7752121
They're all quartz veins, the differences in colour are due to "impurities" in surrounding bedrock. Colour variance is defined by their composition and how the specific elements react under temp, pressure at the time of the veins/bedrock formation. Just as in glass colouring... uranium is used to tint glass blue for example. Quartz is basically Si2O4. It is said 94% of the Earth's crust is Si2O4.
>>
>>7752123
Dude, all you need is a pair of measuring jugs, a copper coin, a knife and a set of scales! You can strike samlples with a hammer to see how it breaks (cleavage/fracture points) to help determine it's crystal shape. Then reference your results in a good book, at a library/museum or online.
If you wanna go deeper, there are testing kits for stuff like PH or acid tests, but that's it. Beyond that you need serious hardware like electron microscopes and spectography machines.
>>
>>7752120
Lovely sample anon.
Quartz for sure. What is very interesting is the blue tint to the bedrock as well as the gold surrounding those quartzite inclusions although not sure if that is down to weathering. Hack an edge off to get an unexposed face.
>>
File: hank says.jpg (10KB, 292x173px) Image search: [Google]
hank says.jpg
10KB, 292x173px
>>7751331
>>
>>7751331
Looks anthropogenic to me f@m
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.