[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

troll science meta-misconception thread >people misunderstanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

troll science meta-misconception thread

>people misunderstanding conservation of momentum
>people actually think this is impossible because the chair isn't heavy enough or that it's impossible to jump up during free fall, rather than the fact that if your legs were that powerful in the first place you could simply land on the ground and survive
>>
>>7743990
>if your legs were that powerful in the first place you could simply land on the ground and survive

I suspect this is not the case.
Your legs and spine would absorb the energy of the wall, causing massive trauma.

If you, however, pushed off the chair, you would be imbuing it with your kinetic energy. The chair would be obliterated, you would survive.

Always jump with furniture. It maybe save your life.
>>
>>7743990
It is impossible. You'd be moving too fast, and your legs wouldn't be able to create enough downward force to slow you to a safe speed. But I'm assuming you're just trolling, so carry on.
>>
>>7744013
Imagine if you will, Chun Li, in a similar situation.

There is nothing wrong with the physics, is the point.
>>
>>7744013
Wrong, if you were strong enough relative to your mass, (eg a grasshopper) you would be abel to do it.

> if your legs were that powerful in the first place you could simply land on the ground and survive

learn to read
>>
When you jump from the chair, you push it with a force F, the same force F pushes you and stops you from falling.
When you hit the ground, the same force takes role, but you have to consider the biomechanics - position of legs mainly. They will have to be at velocity of 0 relative to the ground to reach the same effect as jumping from the chair..
just my two cents
>>
>>7744004
>>7744004
> Always jump with furniture. It maybe save your life.

Can confirm.
> be me
> at clown school, rented a suite on one of the higher floors of a hotel
> a convention really, art displays, cannons and all that shit
> suddenly a fire alarm goes off
> door is blocked by people running to escape as fire starts spreading into the room
> I jump in a cannon and use my hands to propel myself out of a window
> me in cannon falling to ground
> at the last minute fire cannon
> cancel my momentum out completely (relative to earth)
> floating in air a few metres above the ground for a moment
> mfw calculus saved my life

And that's how I decided to drop out of clown college and get a PhD in math.
Don't let anyone ever tell you math has no real world applications
>>
>>7743990
>>7744004
>>7744024
>>7744035
>>7744187

The real problem is that if you pushed the chair with that much force, it would be such an enormous acceleration that your body would be destroyed just as falling to the ground would destroy it.

Merely having powerful legs is not enough, as OP said, you also need to survive kicking the chair that hard, i.e the rest of your body must also be able to withstand the forces.

(I'm oversimplifying here because the forces aren't exactly equal)
>>
>>7744297
You're missing the point. The point is people misunderstanding this comic, ie thinking it's impossible for the wrong reasons. These are the people who think you can't move in space by throwing a rock.
>>
To be fair, you could transfer half your momentum to the chair. Then your legs only need to be half as powerful as they'd need to be without the chair. And that only works if the chair is massive enough, because otherwise it moves away from you too fast, and there isn't enough time for you to transfer the needed momentum to it with the limited force of your legs.
>>
>>7743990
this would work actually .
lets say there is a height you can drop from with a statistically <20% chance of serious lasting injury , with this method this height will be like 15c +- 40 higher or something like that .

practically speaking i'd much rather focus on dropping with proper form that redirects the impulse of the impact from fucking you up then use all this fancy shit .
>>
>>7744198
10/10 toast m8
>>
File: NmWFM63.png (2MB, 1768x992px) Image search: [Google]
NmWFM63.png
2MB, 1768x992px
>>7744328
also this is this is basically a suicide burn using a chair as propellant
>>
>>7744318
To elaborate on this, it's only 1/2 for the limiting case of an infinite mass chair.

The constant here is the energy released by your legs, not the momentum transfer, because your legs are applying a limited force over a limited distance, not a limited time.

The momentum transfer you get is
[math]\frac{\Delta p^2}{2m_{you}} + \frac{\Delta p^2}{2m_{other}} = E_{legs}[/math]

So for the infinite mass case,
[math]\Delta p = \sqrt{2m_{you} E_{legs}}[/math]

But for finite mass,
[math]\Delta p = \sqrt{2m_{you} \frac{m_{other}}{m_{you} + m_{other}} E_{legs}}[/math]

Although at some point, the chair gets so light that you're running up against the limited velocity of your legs, not the limited force. Then the chair becomes even less effective.
>>
>>7743990
What if your legs are powerful enough to halve the impact when the full impact would just barely kill you?
>>
>>7744198
The funny part us, assuming you could keep the cannon pointing up, you could get enough dv to go from dying to only breaking some bones. I don't know much about clown cannons, but it could work.
>>
File: banned.png (42KB, 400x235px)
banned.png
42KB, 400x235px
Not really troll science, this is basic high school physics.
>>
File: theexpanse.jpg (155KB, 782x687px) Image search: [Google]
theexpanse.jpg
155KB, 782x687px
>>
>>7744452
You mean basic biology retard? Otherwise you failed basic newtonian physics.

Physics textbooks give nonrealistic questions all the time like "how much force would you need to exert on a chair of mass m in order to have net velocity 0 given you are mass n, assume no air friction", so in context of that there's nothing wrong with it.

If you were studying basic bio on a chapter of the square cube law about how much force a creature this size could reasonably exert, then yeah this would be "troll biology".
>>
>>7744454
only americans will get this.
>>
>>7743990

If you jumped off at the same speed you were falling, you could survive. I've heard the same situation applied to a falling elevator. That being said, we don't jump very fast.
>>
File: 1449964252233.gif (1MB, 492x286px) Image search: [Google]
1449964252233.gif
1MB, 492x286px
>>7743990
If you could shove the chair at the speed you're falling at you should be fine.
>>
>>7746100
"shoving" a chair at a "speed"

fucking normies
>>
>>7743990
even if this would work and your legs were strong enough, you'd still need super-human-fast eye-cognition-cerebellum coordination, which is almost impossible to obtain.
>>
File: 4141.png (491KB, 1048x2480px) Image search: [Google]
4141.png
491KB, 1048x2480px
This is simple high school physics.
>>
>>7746100
wrong. you need to shove the chair at a speed proportional to ((your mass)/(chair mass))*fall speed. But since your mass is infinite, this is impossible
>>
>>7746100
>implying you're falling horizontally
>implying you're in orbit
>implying you're trying to save the chair
>implying i'm not replying to bait
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.