[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are my calculus tests easy? Hi /sci/, these are samples fro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Calc 2_7 (2).jpg (1MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
Calc 2_7 (2).jpg
1MB, 4128x2322px
Are my calculus tests easy?

Hi /sci/, these are samples from my tests/quizzes from Calculus 2 and 3:

http://imgur.com/a/I8huZ

I'm a student in a community college in New York. I got A's in Calculus 1, 2, and 3. I'm worried that the tests were too easy -- I'd often walk out of class to get food, and bring it back to eat while browsing my phone right in front of my professor. The tests all seemed like they took problems from the shitty James Stewart text, and changed the numbers.

Pic unrelated.
>>
*The pic actually is related. I forgot to edit that out lol
>>
>>7742381
Holy shit these are disgustingly easy lol...

If you plan on transferring to a decent uni to do anything strongly math related, prepare to get fucked in the ass.
>>
They are not that easy, but there are no applied questions.
>>
>>7742381
You'll probably struggle if you're transfering, but as long as you actually learned the material fairly well you'll be able to pick it up. The problem is that if you only had very easy and straightforward problems, you probably didn't develop a deep understanding of it.
>>
Question 6 where you match the equations to the quadric surfaces is literally a middle school question.
>>
That's jusy as easy or easier than my AP calculus was in high school. If I were the teacher, I'd use those kinds of questions on clicker assessments or daily quizzes. A test should have problems that really push the students to their limits. A good test should force the students not just to show that they know the content, but show that they can use it in a foreign situation.
>>
>>7742381
they look like weekly quiz question
>>
>>7742447

No it literally isn't
>>
I can do most of these.
I will finish high school this year.
>>
>>7742381

>calculus tests
>hard
>>
damn aint we a bunch of einsteins <:)
>>
>>7742439
did you even look at these problems, I understand that most of the quiz problems are going to be a lot easier but seriously these problems are taken right from the first few baby homework problems in something like Stewart.

I hope you were getting 100% or very close to it on your exams or university will bone you.
>>
>>7742381
damn, I thought my calc tests were easy.
these are pretty elementary, OP
>>
>>7742738

OP here, I got a 104 in Calc II.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should crack open more difficult textbooks and teach myself, in between now and the time I start a 4-year school.
>>
OP, the highest level math I've taken is AP Statistics (with a 5) and AP Calculus AB (which I'm taking this year). Even though some of those questions aren't even in the AP Calculus AB curriculum, I'm self-taught in BC Calculus.

With that being said, your tests are pretty fucking easy if a high schooler can do them.

>TL;DR Yes, your calculus tests are easy
>>
That's fucking mongoloid easy. Holy shit.
My Calc II and Calc III exams were way harder. Those are literally textbook questions. You'd have to be retarded not to get a good grade on those exams.

Good luck at a real university, OP. Prepare to get rekt.
>>
Wtf OP is this OCC?
>>
>>7742381
Those tests are pretty easy, my highschool students from a third world country can solve them and your caligraphy is ugly as shit but at least is readable.
>>
>>7742381
it's funny because this looks like the type of questions we had in Calc 2 here at UC Davis
>>
I got B's in all of my calc classes primarily because I came in to all of my tests tired as fuck and made retarded arithmetic mistakes. Almost didn't get into grad school for theory because of it.
>>
For my stream at school, Calc II was the last required Calc class for a lot of science majors. the weed out courses at my school were definitely the first year chems so they weren't trying to kill us in Calc II. That being said Calc III is where it amped up. I could have seen some of those questions being on the Calc II ones I took. But I can't believe that might be a Calc III test... looks way to easy.
>>
Consider the following:

If his credits for those classes transfer, he won't have to worry about not having had a "harder run" at his CC (depending on the major, of course). It's not like you need to know how to do those fucking revolving integral methods anyway, and claiming you need deep understanding for a non-analysis course is bullshit anyway.

That said, depending on your field of study, you will probably get fucked in the ass. At my university, even after taking the 3 calc sequence and a course in diffeq, transport still kills half of the major (ChemE) because, well 1) engineers are shit at math and 2) even the "proper" calc treatment (relative to your CC tests) is pathetically insufficient. Though to be honest it's more about the lack of linalg being a required course (and I checked around, this is a pretty common occurrence).

So what to do? If your field of study is not math heavy (chemistry or lower) don't bother. At most, learn how to apply the basic concepts of rates, areas/volume curves, stuff like that. It should honestly be intuitive but I understand if it isn't. If engineering-tier to physics, go a bit further and try to find out what sort of concepts/applications you'll need to know how to do. Typically a diffeq class should be where you really apply your "understanding" of calc and learn what parts you really needed to know. Physicists generally take even more, specialized math courses, so keep that in mind. Math majors, well, I hear analysis fucks most people up the ass, strong calc background or not, so good luck with that. Best thing you can do is peruse "mathematically mature" texts and learn the language and way of thinking first (I'd recommend Rosenlicht's Introduction to Analysis).
>>
>>7742381
This should honestly be high school level problem.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.