[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So every element in our solar system that humans have ever seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1365068176765.jpg (67KB, 777x596px) Image search: [Google]
1365068176765.jpg
67KB, 777x596px
So every element in our solar system that humans have ever seen came from the star before the sun right?

But that star was quite small.

Is it possible one of those absolutely massive ones can make elements we have never seen before?

It would have millions of times the gravity etc and pressure etc

Thoughts /sci?
>>
Actually the heavier elements weren't created by our sun. Heavy elements are created in the stages before a star goes supernova, and dies. Then during the nova all that material is flung out into space, and eventually some of it ended up here, and we built guns to kill each other with it.

To answer the second question, probably not. Odds are that if that could happen, it would during such a supernova, and then it already would have, since such massive stars have such short lifespans.
>>
does OP say that there already was a star in our system before our sun was even born
>>
>>7740720
This is the definition of star generations. 1st generation stars can only contain hydrogen, helium, and a tiny bit of lithium. Only later generation stars can contain heavier elements.
>>
>>7740720
How did he lose the war with a gun that big?
>>
>>7740762
he had only one testicle
>>
>>7740766
Ah I see.
>>
Theoretically yes, but I imagine that there is a high point for atomic size where you can't keep adding protons. I'm no physicist so I don't know if that is possible.
>>
>>7740811
>Theoretically yes, but I imagine that there is a high point for atomic size where you can't keep adding protons. I'm no physicist so I don't know if that is possible.

This.
There is a limit to the size of a nucleus.
At a certain point, the collective proton-proton electrostatic repulsive forces for any given proton exceed the attractive strong nuclear forces between adjacent nucleons.

You are also misunderstanding how the heavier elements are synthesized. I am almost certain that no star synthesizes anything above Z=26 (iron) during normal burning stages regardless of the size of the star. Higher atomic numbers are made during supernova explosions and brown dwarf interactions. Larger stars just burn primarily through the CNO cycle while smaller stars such as the Sun burn primarily through the proton-proton cycle. This is not my personal area of expertise, but I don't believe that I have told you anything wrong.
>>
>>7740762
the gun was really ineffective.
>>
File: sun as red giant vs UY Scuti.png (144KB, 3432x3152px) Image search: [Google]
sun as red giant vs UY Scuti.png
144KB, 3432x3152px
>>7740720
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.