[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What determines if a fuel is better for a combustion engine or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What determines if a fuel is better for a combustion engine or a diesel engine? What are the properties that need to be examined? Thanks
>>
>>7734781
Probably something that can burn quickly
>>
>>7734785
Wtf does that mean? Auto-ignition? Flash-point? Energy density? Which of them is important in the design of an engine?
>>
Petrol ignites via flame or spark. Where as diesel ignites under pressure. Notice how diesel engines don't have spark plugs or leads?
>>
>>7734791
That just depends on engine design
>>
Wow you niggers are such science wannabes but when it comes to solving a simple question, you cant do shit. Gg bitches
>>
>>7734799
You're the dumbass that doesn't know the answer
>>
>>7734792
>>7734794
This doesnt answer the question.
>>
>>7734804
ask better questions then, faggot.
>>
>>7734804

Try being more specific about your damn question then.

>combustion engine or a diesel engine
There are only two possible answers, spark or compression.

Now what the fuck is it you actually want to know, specifically?
>>
>>7734805
The question is simple, and should have a simple answer... The problem is I can't seem to find any literature that says what the atomizer ratio should be depending on xyz fuel variables
>>
Depends on application, specify please.
>>
Diesel is compressed and ignites because of van der waals forces and friction at some X compression, while petrol is ignited on a cycle. If I had a hydrocarbon that no ones tried for an IC engine, how do I know if I should go for a diesel-like or petrol-like engine
>>
>>7734811
It depends on the fuel
>>
>>7734811

Experiment on it.

Can it be ignited?
If so, how small of an ignition source can be used or what is the optimum size?
What is the optimum fuel to air ratio?

If not, can it be ignited via compression? If so, how much compression is required etc etc
>>
>>7734809
The application would determine the superior fuel. Diesel has more energy to it, is self lubricating of combustion components, and offers an engine with less mechanical parts. The downside to diesel is the complexity of fuel delivery and ignition requiring sturdier engines. There is on average 5x the pressure in a diesel system to initiate combustion, also the fuel pressure feeding into the injector to atomizer a heavy oil requires heavy duty, high tech injectors along with a very heavy duty fuel pump. The fuel rail pressures can get up to 15k psi.
>>
>>7734833
>>7734844
Thank you so much for these responses
>>
Usually you want to draw as much power as possible with little loss. When ignition happens in a cylinder younwant fuel to burn down the walls evenly so that there is even heat distribution, otherwise you could have diagonal patterning if shock forces which could lead to failure. The octane you choose and hydrocarbon layout all dictate the ignition timing you can use. Higher
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.