[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm curious, were any of you or your family put into "gifted"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: gifted.jpg (104KB, 637x340px) Image search: [Google]
gifted.jpg
104KB, 637x340px
I'm curious, were any of you or your family put into "gifted" programs when you/they were in school? Do you feel that it's positively or negatively affected you/them in an academic or emotional manner? Was the affected person among the guinea pigs of the curriculum or had it been used for some time?

I'd like to research this further and want to get some responses from people that aren't directly around me.
>>
it was just some bullshit to get out of class occassionally
>>
>>7734276
Okay, did you miss anything important? Was that the extent of the program or was there an entire curriculum for students later?
>>
I was in Enriched Math in Highschool, which was pretty pointless because we had the exact same curriculum and exam as the normal stream, we just went through faster/did moderately more challenging questions. Honestly I thought it was a good thing, helped me adjust to Uni course load easier
>>
>>7734282
Here in canada it was just some shitty science trips and some time killing outside of class

class was boring as hell so any time outside of class hanging around was good.
>>
>>7734299
I had the same sort of thing, except we got to go on the coldest day of the year to a graveyard where the founders of our city had been buried. At what grade levels was that offered? I had it for 3rd and 4th grade, but it was a full team in middle and junior high school.
>>
>>7734257
yea i was put in Gifted Student Academy for a summer during my middle school. they shipped us to a uni and it was basically a math summer camp with like math classes and sciency "ecosystem" shit and i remember also an etymology class as well as other physical activities and crap

what i liked about it was the food and the experience of being put with a bunch of other kids which made me less of an autist.

didnt really help me at all honestly. i dont feel it made a difference in my life whatsoever, except made me feel poor compared to all the rich kids that attended. yea it was fun but whatever
>>
>>7734257
While you can use it to get out of class, it seemed to give me more clout in picking what classes I could take.
>>
>>7734257
I just had people telling me how intelligent I was out one side of their mouth, and telling me I was deficient while trying to fuck me over as much as possible, out the other. I can't help that the material is boring and I've done everything already. Leave me the hell alone. "You're a walking dictionary." Fuck off, I'm not your plaything.

I was briefly used as a guinea pig for a then new form of cognitive behavioral therapy. Fed measurements of electrical activity in the brain to a computer, then a game on screen would react. Accordingly. Usually they were fairly simple. Aspects of the game changed according to how far you were deviating from whatever they'd tagged as the ideal range. This game was a ship. One measurement controlled the position of the ship (left or right), another controlled speed, and the third... I don't recall. I tried it out of curiosity for 2 sessions, but didn't like the after effects, and was already a bit paranoid. Ditched it.

I don't like being praised. I don't know, I wasted a lot of opportunities for various reasons. Being seen as intelligent, durable, capable, whatever, never did me any favors. Just supported my tendency to construct a cheap shell personality to keep myself away, and led to people leaning heavily when I was really doing no better myself. I've never really felt seen, or known. I was kind of an object. Did it to myself maybe, but I did have deficits I wasn't willing to ask for help with.
>>
I realize it isn't a big sample, but I'm surprised that the schools you guys went to thought a class a couple times a week or a one-time thing would help at all.
>>
>>7734348
I...hope you're trolling. If not, what?
>>
>>7734353
I'm not trolling, but I am a bit out of it at the moment.

You'll have to elaborate.
>>
>>7734358
ur nuts m8
seek help
>>
>>7734257
Was placed into Gifted and Talented Education in middle school. Basically, every class was supposed to cater to le gifted children. Never did my homework. Was poor but everyone else came from wealthy families; that, and other things made me an outcast. Never did any work but after I switched to regular classes, I found that GATE classes taught the same material but switched it up in a trendy way. Completely useless. I'm doing pretty well now though.
>>
>>7734358
Well, were you a child then? Who the hell did that to you? I can sort of relate to the last paragraph, since it seemed that my teachers expected all of us to be emotionally accelerated as well and all it did was give me anxiety into adulthood.
>>
>>7734363
Is there a reason you never did your homework? Too hard or easy (or boring)? Some other issue that wasn't diagnosed, like ADD or whatever else? Just didn't feel like it? I did the same thing but found out I had ADHD a month before graduation.
>>
>>7734257
unfortunately my country doesn't have any such programs.
Especially during elementary school I could skip 2-3 years for fun.
I still vividly remember how bored I was because I would not hear anything I didn't already know for days at a time. And the boring repetitive homework. Ugh.
>>
I took a few AP courses in high school, that's about it.

We didn't really have a "gifted program".
>>
File: feelrunner.jpg (96KB, 883x990px) Image search: [Google]
feelrunner.jpg
96KB, 883x990px
I was put into a gifted program in 4th grade. I had to switch schools and make new friends. I went from the smartest kid to one of the dumbest. This didn't motivate me to try harder. It just became part of my self image. By the time I graduated highschool there was 0 benefit to having been in the program as I had dropped out of nearly all the honors classes. Instead my senior year was just like 4 study halls and 2 actual classes. I went to a 2nd rate state school and continued to do mediocre.

Socially it was a disaster as well. I was isolated from the rest of the kids my age for all classes but gym. We were teased and bullied a bit. I probably got it less than the other gifted kids because I was pretty big and well socialized from summer camp. But I was still outcast from their social circles. I didn't really recover from this until college. Actually you could say that my over compensating socially in college hurt me academically and had a serious negative impact on my life.

Wow never really thought about what a full blown disaster it was lol. The school changed the program for the kids a year or two younger than my class so they weren't so isolated. Among the kids I graduated with a few are dead from drugs and one kid got shot for getting in a fight at a party. One or two are doing great meaningful things with their lives. Most underachieved in the end. In particular there was this one kid who was a real genius. He got into CMU but switched to like an english major and now works at barnes and noble.

My life is such a disaster I don't even want to discuss it.
>>
>>7734362
Acknowledging your post directly, but only to let you know I'm disregarding it.

>>7734364
Probably ~14. It was just an EEG-like deal, conductive paste, electrodes on the scalp, etc. At the time, as I mentioned I was paranoid, but assumed the electrodes were largely only 1 way and that any feedback would be trivial, though some part of me knowing it was blind faith and that I didn't actually understand how the device worked. It probably was.

The software measured electrical activity and used that data as input to the game. The intent was to train the brain to put itself in those ranges. I didn't like that, so caution overtook curiosity.

I'm an anxiety wracked mess. That's probably mostly psychosocial stress and from perceived demands, relative to incapacitation from chronic pain. Among other stuff I'm slowly unraveling, don't know how to fact in gray matter volume loss from the pain. Childhood didn't help matters, I'm probably fucked up in ways I could ever guess.
>>
>>7734381
I can relate to most of that... I think I was at the low end of the "gifted" spectrum and nearly got moved down a grade but didn't mainly because I think I remember literally crying about it because I felt so stupid.

I had the social issues, too, because I was physically weird-looking and awkward and couldn't figure out how to interact with other kids the way they did. I was a year younger than most of them. Frankly I still don't know how to interact with people but have figured out how to act since then. Still not perfect at it.

The people I know of that I went to school with all seemed to be parents in their teens or messed up in some other way. I have no idea if it's because of the years of being told we're better than everyone else and finding out the hard way that we're all idiots. I'm included in the people who haven't succeeded at anything since then, too.
>>
>>7734384
Who and why did that to you?
>>
>>7734257

They picked up on me early. My thing was, I learned to read very early and had good reading comprehension. I'm told I read Dr. Seuss to mom at age 3.

A few times, very early in elementary school, I remember being pulled from class with one or two classmates. In particular, one kid was always a bit brighter than me. I played with him sometimes. He and I were together in an early "test group", maybe with one other kid. Just being asked simple questions IIRC, maybe a quick doodle or something, didn't take long.

I had the vague ideas that I wasn't in trouble (I hadn't learned to interpret being pulled out of a group as "being in trouble"), and I was a bit smarter and they wanted to check me out. I think the first visit or two were like this, and I was sort of "tracked" into certain baseline activities, which the parents were happy to support - science fair, dad did a lot of building which irked me because I realized that I wasn't the one driving the project. But I was like a 8-9 year old kid so I went along with it. There was a sort of competition with the above kid. I'd played at his house one time, he was fine but he seemed to have this golden boy thing going on which annoyed me.

We did go to a math meet in a team, as kids (a second time), and placed well. I somehow bested this kid, which felt great! I kept that swag for a long time. Maybe mom has it, but I don't.
>>
File: woah dere.jpg (30KB, 425x315px) Image search: [Google]
woah dere.jpg
30KB, 425x315px
in 5th grade I made out with a gifted girl.

The pricipal's aid brought her, myself and our parents in to discuss it.

Long story short, my parents made out in front of her, her parents were disgusted, I'm an engineering major and shes a manager at the walmart mcdonalds.
>>
I was, but all it was, was some crazy math teacher going on about how all other people are "sheep" and that "we are the true children of the world" and we would inherit it, not them. No joke.
>>
>>7734727
Your parents are fucking awesome.
>>
File: 5DfK4DF.png (17KB, 420x168px) Image search: [Google]
5DfK4DF.png
17KB, 420x168px
Apparently before I went into kindergarden I counted up to 100 something with chalk in our backyard terrace. I did quite well in primary school, when I was in the third grade I would be sent to the fourth grade class for the English portion of class, and on occasion I was sent to the fifth grade class for math. I never really cared though, and I squandered my talents for whatever reason. I had a shit GPA (around 1.6) in HS when I graduated and got put on academic probation in Community fucking College of all things. I don't even know why I browse this board, I'm so dumb.

When I'm off probation I'd like to go back, but I'd want the academic motivation I've recently developed to be consistent before I go blow more money on books/classes I don't do shit in. Physics/engineering have always been really cool to me. Thanks for listening to my shitty rant.
>>
In class 4 I was quite a lot private coached in a room in Math class whie the others had "regular" class. Like, if the kids had to calculate some exercises I was given some practise problems for the 6-7 grade and aced them without problems.

Later on, I changed school and was a Normie.
In math classes I was somewhat okay'ish (I was up and down in AP courses; too good for the basic class but failed the lack of motivation for the advanced class. This 2-3 times.)

In the end, I didn't do much for me. Thus, without inner motivation and a bit of passion you won't go down that route. That was it atleast for me

>class 3-4: individually taught in math for higher stuff
>class 8-10: switched constantly between basic and advanced math classes due performance. Too good for basic, too bad for advanced.
>11-13 class basic course in math and I was with my mate the best two of this math course
>>
During the summer between my fourth and fifth year in highschool I spent two weeks with a bunch of other promising guys, it was organized by the top university in my country. I don't remember exactly what we did but I remember we had stuff like university professors talking about their job. It covered everything so we listened to archaeology, biology, etc. professors.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.