[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm hoping there's someone here who's good at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1450630794918.jpg (110KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
1450630794918.jpg
110KB, 425x640px
I'm hoping there's someone here who's good at stats.

Basically I have the following situation. I have two variables (a, b), both of which I use as predictors of a third variable (c).

I use variables a and b in two separate regression analyses to obtain coefficients that indicate the relationship between variables a and b on the one hand, and variaible c on the other. I find that variable a is negatively linearly related to c. Variable b shows a positive linear relationship with variable c. There are no quadratic relationships between variable a or b, and variable c.

Now, if I instead use both variable a and b in a single regression analysis (so they are in the same model) this should give us coefficients that indicate the relationships between variables a and b to variable c, but independent of each other. By doing this we discard shared variance between a and b.

For some reason I can't get my head around, doing this makes a positively quadratically related to c, and b negatively quadratically related to c. The linear dependencies are also still there.

What do the quadratic relationships imply?
>>
>>7733142
Is that... Boxxy?
>>
>>7733160
I guess so
>>
>>7733160
She's far too attractive to be Boxxy and only has 300 layers of makeup as opposed to over 9000.
>>
>>7733163
Did you reverse image search it or did you literally guess? I really don't want to go through that effort because my browser extension broke.
>>
>>7733166
I searched, and apparently it is.
>>
>>7733179
Fuuuuck.

She's changed a lot. Damn.
>>
>>7733160
FFFFFFFFFFFFFff--
>>
>>7733142
Is this what they teach statisticians? You're over complicating something that is ridiculously simple if you understand random variables.

All you are doing is subtracting the co-variance. Look up the formula for adding variances, that may help. Do you know linear algebra? Thinking about this in terms of eigenvectors and eigenvalues is a lot simpler.
>>
>>7733166
I literally guessed. I got this image off of /b/ right before I started the thread.
>>
>>7733194
>You're over complicating something that is ridiculously simple
Well, then I'm hoping you could help me understand. I'm not a statistician, quite far from it actually and this is my first experience with regression to be honest.

Anyway, if this procedure is subtracting covariance, does it imply that variables b and c show a negative quadratic relationship with each other?
>>
File: 137347154525.jpg (66KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
137347154525.jpg
66KB, 500x666px
>>
>>7733241

>Nothing to do with science or math
>>
>>7733317
It's an eye catcher though
>>
>>7733213
This formula is where I believe the quadratic relationship is coming from.

I don't completely understand your original explanation.
>Now, if I instead use both variable a and b in a single regression analysis (so they are in the same model) this should give us coefficients that indicate the relationships between variables a and b to variable c, but independent of each other. By doing this we discard shared variance between a and b.

They will not be independent, your model will just fail as it assumes independence.
>>
>>7733350
I fear I'm missing the point.

Where exactly does that equation come from? Isn't my model imposing independence since we're removing shared variance? It might also be worth mentioning that a and b are uncorrelated.
>>
>>7733375
What step in what you describes is removing the shared variance?
>>
>>7733398
Including two predictors in the model is equivalent to hierarchical regression where I first regress a onto c, and then use the residuals (r) for another regression of b onto r. So we're looking at independent contributions of a and b to the variance of c.

But please correct me if that's wrong.
>>
please respond
>>
>>7733410
Oh okay. I see. That works. That would make a and b's contributions orthogonal to each other thus linearly independent. What quadratic relation are you seeing?
>>
>>7733499
The same ones as mentioned in the OP.
>>
>>7733514
Show it mathematically. I don't see why one would occur. Unless you are implying that distance is somehow the quadratic relation.
>>
>>7733715
>I don't see why one would occur.
That is exactly the problem, neither do I. It's an empirical finding, and it doesn't make much sense to my why it happens.
>Show it mathematically.
If I could that'd be excellent, but I don't nearly know enough about the math to do that.
>>
>>7733164
Pretty sure she's Boxxy.
>>
>Realize you first saw Boxxy when you were 16.
>You're now 22.
What.
>>
front page
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.