[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did everyone start getting really obese when we began advising

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: lard-and-butter.jpg (62KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
lard-and-butter.jpg
62KB, 800x532px
Why did everyone start getting really obese when we began advising them not to eat animal fat?
>>
Because vegetables' sole purprose is to accumulate as much energy as possible, and by eating vegetable fats we assimilated that purpose.
>>
correlation and causation
>>
>>7731714
proof of evidence pls, a citation is needed, your post lacks evidence, corrobate your statement. i dont believe u. insufficient evidence. provide evidence to support your claims. the burden of proof does not lie with me my friend, but with you. where is my proofs? there is no feasible evidence confirming such a statement. cite your sources. proofs.
>>
>>7731716
Correlation is only meaningless absent a plausible causal mechanism from a to b.

Evaluate the following statement:
There is no plausible causal relationship between dietary guidelines and obesity rates
>>
File: 2015-12-15_20-17-29.png (157KB, 979x694px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-15_20-17-29.png
157KB, 979x694px
>>7731721
>a citation is needed
http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/G5_History.htm

>In early 1977, after years of discussion, scientific review, and debate, the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs, led by Senator George McGovern, recommended Dietary Goals for the American people. The Committee recommended that the American diet
>Decrease dietary fat intake to no more than 30 percent of calories, with a reduction in intake of saturated fat, and recommended approximately equivalent
>>
>>7731734
>women
Jesus Christ
>>
File: 1977 guidelines.jpg (105KB, 514x512px) Image search: [Google]
1977 guidelines.jpg
105KB, 514x512px
>>7731734
That doesn't measure compliance.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/KilocaloriesandMacronutrientsPerCapitaperDay1909-2010.xls

People were told eat less butter. What actually happened is they starting adding more refined sugar and starches to their butter. They ate more calories in general. Fad dieter promoters like to blame the guidelines, but nobody bothered following them to begin with.
>>
File: 2015-12-20_09-37-31.png (22KB, 1213x393px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20_09-37-31.png
22KB, 1213x393px
>>7731751
Looks like they semi-stuck to their recommendations. Saturated fat hasn't increased so as a proportion it's decreased, as recommended; carbs has also become a larger proportion of total calories as compared to fat, as recommended.

I'd say the guidelines were strictly followed.
>>
>>7731714
idk I'm 6'3" 140 lbs and I eat a whole pie ala mode every day
>>
>>7731784
>Saturated fat hasn't increased so as a proportion it's decreased, as recommended
Calories have gone up. That wasn't recommended.

>carbs has also become a larger proportion of total calories as compared to fat, as recommended
Carbs derived from whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and legumes were recommended. Not refined sugars, not refined starch.

>I'd say the guidelines were strictly followed.
I'd say you're delusional.
>>
File: 2015-12-20_09-53-15.png (12KB, 755x444px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20_09-53-15.png
12KB, 755x444px
>>7731784
>carbs has also become a larger proportion of total calories as compared to fat, as recommended.
Actually I was wrong, kcal from carbs:kcal in fat has remained unchanged (should be 2, per recommendations).
Saturated fat did decrease as a proportion though.
>>
>>7731795

Don't worry, you'll get fat too when you stop being a teenager.

Regards,

an anon 5'9'' and 160lbs
>>
File: dietary_guidelines.jpg (45KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
dietary_guidelines.jpg
45KB, 500x461px
>>7731714
>Why did everyone start getting really obese
Because it was planned that way. The United States has fallen to rank 49 in life expectancy of 120 countries. (Source=OECD)
>>
>>7731714
Are the two linked? I thought that it was because people now have very easy access to highly calorific food at a very low cost, coupled with a largely sedentary lifestyle and general poor diet.
>>
>>7731809
Oh, also, your link wasn't actually recorded consumption, but of available food;
>Kilocalories and Macronutrients per Capita per Day in the U.S. Food Supply
>Food Supply
We don't really know how much was consumed from this data.
>>
>>7731819
I'm 32
>>
>>7731835
They are starting to look now at gut chemistry to explain gaining wait. They are saying that some people with a different bacteria soup in their body, tend to process foods differently. A study I've been kinda interested in.
>>
>>7731829
It's a good proxy. Obviously there is no way to directly measure consumption. Do you have any better data you'd like to share? The guidelines are pretty evidence-based, for example

http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=25406801
>>
File: 2015-12-20_10-23-18.png (7KB, 716x123px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20_10-23-18.png
7KB, 716x123px
>>7731857
>http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=25406801
:(

Perhaps. At any rate the guidelines seem not to have had the desired effects. They should really pilot these things to see how different presentation effects the reader, to try and present the information in such a way that it will achieve compliance. Perhaps they could bring in some psyops people from the CIA to assist.
>>
>>7731845
I'm on the fence about "muh metabolism" because I lost 100 lbs by diet and exercise proving that I was fat due to a bad diet however the reason why I won't dismiss it completely is because I know plenty people with terrible diets who never get fat. I only stay thin by not ever eating any junk, as soon as I do I balloon. I remember at university I never partied while everyone else did stuffing their faces with kebabs and vodka and shit yet somehow they stayed rail thin and I got fat. Obviously I got fat because I ate takeaways instead of cooking but they were doing the same fucking thing PLUS drinking alcohol (I'm teetotal) yet they all stayed looking like Adonis. By the laws of thermodynamics they should have gotten fat along with me.
>>
>>7731884

I think when you actually count the calories at the end of the day you might be surprised.

As a teen I ate a lot of shit but I didn't get fat. The reason was that, even though I ate a lot of shit, I didn't eat too much overall. So the teenagers shove maybe one kebab and 5 shots per day in their faces but little else whereas people who actually get fat eat several times per day, they may even eat decent food but add a lot of snacks and shit.
>>
>>7731884
Not all the energy you eat gets absorbed, some people are inefficient fat absorbers and thus are immune to the effects of a high-fat diet.

Probably only a good thing now that food is abundant, I can imagine it getting you killed on the savannah
>>
>>7731714
I don't know the cause, but I've heard that it correlates with an increase in sugar consumption. But I've already said too much...
>>
>>7731917
The problem is they cut the fats out of food so it tasted like shit. Solution: add sugar / HFCS / fructose to make it palatable.

Problem: fructose does not produce satiety and it triggers an addiction response. Result: overall calories go up because people still feel hungry.
>>
>>7731897
Yes that explains why I got fat, I don't doubt that, I am asking why didn't they get fat? microwave meals, subways, cheeseburgers, kebabs and vodka, brandy or whatever the fuck kids drink at clubs every single night yet they all stayed looking like the fucking statue of David, wtf? No way is all of that under 2,500 calories. I know what I have to do to stay thin and I do it I am just miffed that everyone else I know doesn't even bother yet they stay thin.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.