[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /sci/. Complete science neophyte here. I was having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: thesun.jpg (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thesun.jpg
3MB, 1920x1080px
Hello, /sci/.

Complete science neophyte here.

I was having a debate about the sun today with a coworker. He said he wished the sun would just disappear because it was blinding him at that moment. Anyway, our point of contention centered around what would happen to the Earth if the sun just instantaneously disappeared. If it just "flashed" or "zapped" or whatever out of existence.

My argument was this - that after the sun disappeared, the Earth would flash freeze immediately after the ~8 minutes it takes for solar radiation to reach us - that it would actually be like those flash freezing scenes in that shitty "Day After Tomorrow" movie.

His argument was that the earth's freezing would be delayed due to stored warmth in the oceans and in earth's atmosphere, that it would take up to a day for the Earth to freeze.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, but not 100% certain. I mean, it would be going from sun to deep space in an instant.

Which one of us is right?

>tl;dr - what would happen to the Earth if the sun just instantaneously disappeared?
>>
He is.
That scene is bunk.
>>
>>7730562

>> https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/

Everything relevant that you need.
>>
>>7730565
I knew it was in the context of that shit-ass Hollywood garbage, but wouldn't an immediate temperature change to almost absolute zero cause the Earth to flash-freeze? If not, how long would it take?
>>
>>7730562
The energy wouldn't just be sucked away into space or nothingness.

It would gradually just radiate away.

I couldn't give you a time frame though.

But flash freeze? That's silly. You're silly.
>>
>>7730567
>https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/

All it says at the end is "we would all freeze and die." That doesn't even come close to answering the question.

>>7730573
Are you talking about the stored heat energy within the Earth's atmosphere/oceans? Do you know anywhere where I could get an approximate timeframe for this radiation? That's the crux of the info I'm seeking.
>>
>>7730580
well damn. I should have probably read that before posting.

I know in most of his others he actually offers pretty in-depth explanations of what happens as things get more and more ridiculous.
>>
>>7730562
If this would cause the earth to flash freeze, it would get much much colder at night
>>
>>7730580
Here's a qoute from a quick google search because I can't brain right now

>Unlike your house, car, or swimming pool, the vacuum of space has no temperature.

So, how cold is space? That’s a nonsense question. It’s only when you put a thing in space, like a rock, or an astronaut, that you can measure temperature.

>Remember there are three ways that heat can transfer: conduction, convection and radiation.

>Heat up one side of a metal bar, and the other side will get hot too; that’s conduction. Circulating air can transfer heat from one side of the room to another; that’s convection. But out in the vacuum of space, the only way heat can transfer is radiation.

In short we wouldn't take in the energy of space like licking an ice cube. It would have to be lost through radiation.
>>
File: AnimorphsPotato.jpg (48KB, 468x599px) Image search: [Google]
AnimorphsPotato.jpg
48KB, 468x599px
>>7730582
>https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/
No problem, dude. Thanks for the attempt anyway.

>>7730585
>pic related.
>>
You're right, OP, this is why everything freezes over at night when a part of the earth isn't facing the sun.

Have neither of you ever hone outside at nights? Pretty sure you would have noticed this.
>>
>>7730586
Alright, I'm convinced. Thank you.

>>7730590
Well, I figured that was the case because a part of the Earth was still receiving solar radiation. If the sun was removed and no more UV was coming in at all, I thought the radiation rate might be so fast as to be almost instant.

>>7730586
convinced me. I just wish I could get a rough estimate of how long it would take for the Earth to completely freeze.
>>
It would take months for it to be too cold for life the survive
>>
>>7730592
Jesus Christ are you fucked retarded? The reason the xkcd article gives the trivial answers that it does is explained in the first fucking paragraph: There are already plenty of good answers out there. And then they give you a god damn link to a google search for your scenario for Christ's sake. And many of those results contain the answers you seek.

Please, PLEASE, stop shitting up /sci/ with this pop-sci crap.

Have a nice day! :^)
>>
>>7730603
>shitting up
Smearing shit on shit isn't that big of a deal.
>>
File: MFWNiggaDemon.png (196KB, 694x708px) Image search: [Google]
MFWNiggaDemon.png
196KB, 694x708px
>>7730603
Oh, fuck off. I'm sure this mild inconvenience was well-worth the added capitalization, bro. By all means, don't let me detract any further from your important work posting on 4chan.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.