[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Schrödinger's cat is a meme-tier thought experiments that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (183KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 750x1334px
Schrödinger's cat is a meme-tier thought experiments that holds no real significance or scientific merit.
Its only purpose is for normies to say
> oh i am such le nerd ;) quantum physics amirite lol i love sheldon ZIMBABWE

fucking assholes pride themselves on their understanding of it, but it's so simple and dumbed down a 7 year old could understand it.
>>
>>7729319
/sci/ is not your fucking eco chamber retard.

[spoiler]But yes.[/spoiler]
>>
>>7729319
>normies

you do know that using terms such as the one above make you look like an über-cringe-inducing clot, don't you
>>
>>7729324
> current year
> uses the word über
Not sure who the cringe is here
>>
>>7729319
How does it feel to be below the mental level of a 7 year old, OP?
>>
File: literally cancer.png (178KB, 1094x1024px) Image search: [Google]
literally cancer.png
178KB, 1094x1024px
>be me
>last QM lecture
>lecturer gets behind the stand and comes out with cat mask and tail
>puts pic related on board
>gets out a lab coat and a huge paper that says "box"
>she gets 4 people from lecture to be the cat, the 'mad scientist' and 2 to hold the paper
>starts acting out a pantomime
>leave

Sometimes I wonder how physicists are taken seriously
>>
>>7729327
what has the german language to do with exuding cringe
>>
>>7729364
No one's used the "über" meme since 2008

Also, fuck you, dude, you don't speak german b
>>
>>7729319
Yes, Erwin Schrödinger was a renowned lover of memes and couched his thought experiment thus when he was pointing out absurdities in the Copenhagen interpretation.
>>
>>7729374
This is the part people don't get, he was pointing out the ridiculousness of it not saying "yea bro cats can totally be alive and dead!". Also it started from an idea Einstein proposed also in an attempt to discredit quantum mechanics or at least the Copenhagen interpretation.
>>
>>7729417
Wait. There is really a large proportion of people that think the thought experimented was meant to argue that something could exist in two states at once?
>>
>>7729424
Yes I've met numerous people who think its a literal description of reality.

Its just supposed to illustrate the disconnect between what we observe in the subatomic world and the behavior of the macroscopic things they make up.
>>
I know a real shit head guy like this. He calls himself an educator, when he once led an SAT prep class. He reminds me of a bald Michael Moore. His cat is named Schrodinger and his dog is named Tesla.
>>
>>7729461
>His cat is named Schrodinger and his dog is named Tesla.
Oh my.
>>
File: schroedingers_tube.jpg (27KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
schroedingers_tube.jpg
27KB, 500x320px
It is from Schrödinger's 1935 article titled "The present situation in quantum mechanics".

The chapter where Schrödinger introduces the cat thought experiment is called "Sind die Variablen wirklich verwaschen?" ("Are the variables really blurred?") What he is illustrating here is the mistake of confusing the wave function (an abstract mathematical object) with the actual physical object whose information it is carrying.

Before going into the absurd idea of a cat being dead and alive at the same time, he describes the less obvious form of this mistake as thinking of the electron actually being "smeared" as a cloud around the nucleus. Of course this picture is not the actual physical reality. No measurement will show a smeared cloud of an electron. Each measurement will show exactly one electron at one position.

Superposition of the wave function in the Copenhagen interpretation does NOT mean that the object itself is in superposition. The wave function in Copenhagen interpretation is an abstract object used to calculate PROBABILITIES of possible outcomes of a measurement. The cat itself is not in superposition, it's just its wave function being in superposition which yields probabilities for the events "dead" and "alive".

I hope this clarifies how Schrödinger did not intend to disprove the Copenhagen interpretation (whose formalism he mostly invented) but only an incorrect understanding of said interpretation by people who refuse to understand what probabilities are.

-- A. Nonymous

www.math.rutgers.edu/~oldstein/papers/qts/node7.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat
>>
>>7729501
Thanks anon.
>>
>>7729366
>No one's used the "über" meme since 2008
oh well, if you're such an authority on memes, I stand corrected

din jävla idiot
>>
>>7729593
Oh look at big man sweden over here, how about you go and suck some kebab dick, gay boi?
Literally nothing you say can be taken seriously because you are a cuck, swedecuck
>>
>>7729501
I stopped caring about mainstream physics when I was introduced to the concept of the Copenhagen Interpretation. What a crock of shit. If your experimental results can only be predicted by inventing ontic uncertainty that can't exist, like some kind of physics deity , then you are fucking wrong and the theory is flawed. Same for relativity solutions that basically say "the particle is wherever the particle is". Thats what the naive lorentz covariant physics said transcribed to words but god forbid if i wrote it down in a preferred frame instead of the ancient differential geometry runes the teacher word mark me wrong.

Physics is shut up and calculate and locality never breaks my ass. Physics is just as realist as any other scientific construct.
>>
>>7729604
>cuck, swedecuck

marvellous contribution, swedish is like my third language, lardboy, stay mad
>>
>>7729639
Then why do you insult me in swedish, you neckbeard?
Are you trying to sound smart?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.