[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All right /sci/ I have a question for you. I would like to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: math.png (491KB, 626x422px) Image search: [Google]
math.png
491KB, 626x422px
All right /sci/ I have a question for you. I would like to learn as much as possible about math to better my knowledge. The highest level of math I have ever gotten to was about halfway through Pre-Calculus. Where could I learn higher level math online (for free preferably)
>>
>>7728659

MIT OCW calculus (18.01), vector calculus (18.02), differential equations (18.03)

Harvard Extension videos on Abstract Algebra I using Artin's text

gen.lib.rus.ec
>>
You sound like me a few years ago. EXACTLY like me. Wanting to improve your knowledge is awesome and valiant, especially if it goes toward something you have interest in. But I can't shake the feeling that you don't have anything to connect this mathematical knowledge to (programming, physics problems, electronically engineering) and you'll probably end up giving up your study a few weeks in.
>>
learning about higher math will not 'better' your knowledge. you'll be trapped in a place where you will prove results and theorems about more and more abstract ideas until you realize you don't know how to connect to a single person without thinking they're retarded, when in reality it is you who are the stifled one with no knowledge about the world around you or how it works. good luck
>>
Khan Academy is super helpful for a few semesters of calculus in my opinion.
>>
>>7728668
Thank you.
>>
>>7728659
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>7728669
I already do programming, (Python and Ruby), and I'm quite interested in programming, and I'm considering going into computer science.
>>
>>7728659
You could buy Putnam and Beyond.
The practice problems are very good (it includes solutions fyi), and it discusses the pidgenhole principle, induction, and proof by contradiction. The book also includes sections on algebra, real analysis, geometry, trig, number theory, combinatorics and probability and each section contains difficult, relevant problems. This is important for higher math, as you must develop theorems by yourself (by writing proofs, you will be better at reading and understanding mathematical text).
Before doing this, i highly recommend that you practice mental multiplication (http://windhoff.net/mental_arithmetic/#Multiplication). When studying higher math, there are two challenges: understanding the concepts and having the mental stamina to apply them in difficult problems. Higher math problems tend to involve at least some guessing and checking, and they always include troubleshooting, so practicing arithmetic is a good way of preventing fatigue.
>>
>>7728659
by learning how to read the sticky
>>
>>7728668
>americans learn calculus in college
kek
>>
>>7729245
They can take higher maths in high school (even public schools offer it), but there is a very low demand and very few students are ever qualified for it.
>>
>>7729258
>calculus
>higher math
>most americans are too dumb for it
kek
>>
Halfway through precalculus is not a level of math attained.
>>
>>7729266
>implying I said calculus was higher maths
Group theory is available from some high schools, but you won't see many applicants or qualified students because
>most americans are too dumb for it
is absolutely true.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.