[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Recently started my first semester of graduate school at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: displeased loli.jpg (32KB, 461x271px) Image search: [Google]
displeased loli.jpg
32KB, 461x271px
> Recently started my first semester of graduate school at Berkeley
> TAing an upper division linear algebra course
> mfw I grade homework / exams

What gives? I thought Berkeley kids were supposed to be smart, but most of them don't seem to have a solid grasp of fundamental logical reasoning, let alone the material being covered. I TA a class of about 20 students and only 1 of them seems to consistently have a grasp of the material.

I admit the course and the exams are especially challenging. More challenging than my undergrad classes, but I still feel like I should see better. Is proper mathematical thinking just too much for most people to handle?
>>
>>7728366
>TA
>>
>>7728376
What's your point?
>>
>>7728366
>goes to Berkeley
>must be smart
For someone in math you have terrible logic
>>
How can i become as smart as you? In high school at the moment.
>>
>>7728366
Anon, they're undergrads. Sure, the undergrads at a top-tier university will be better than the ones at a mediocre or downright shitty university on average. That doesn't mean that all, or even most, of them will be good.

>Is proper mathematical thinking just too much for most people to handle?
Not quite. It's something most people won't do unless they're forced to. It's easy for people to retreat (e.g., by changing majors or simply cheating), and it's easy for them to convince each other that the instructor's just being too strict.

If you want the average university student to learn proper mathematical thinking, you have to create a situation where failing genuinely hurts them -and- they don't have an easy way out.
>>
the bulk of undergrads are dumb and lazy as shit everywhere

I went to a shit undergrad and a top grad school, but the phd students from my undergrad were far more intelligent than the undergrads here
>>
>>7728366
>but most of them don't seem to have a solid grasp of fundamental logical reasoning, let alone the material being covered

I'm willing to bet $500 that those are the CS kids.
>>
>>7728376
Research Assistant master race.
>>
>>7728366
Berkeley CivE undergrad here.
People here are stupid as shit. Keep in mind this is a public school, so they're required to take students from each area in California. And if you didn't know already, there are some stupid as fuck people in the middle of nowhere, CA.
Remember that high school was a fucking joke for 99.9% of people, and people didn't actually learn to use their brains to develop logical reasoning and shit. By the time they hit math 110, it's only been like a year and they still haven't learned jack shit but how to cheat off of other people.
Sometimes I hate Berkeley
>>
File: get_rational.jpg (34KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
get_rational.jpg
34KB, 550x400px
>>7728366
It's because they didn't get rational with these 4 weird tricks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8sf1tvfgg8ujn5j/AABqWTQbPiEXaSlQqfYY1Cqfa/LogicBook-Draft%20of%2010-15-15.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>7728443
Most likely. I did a CSE undergrad and didn't really have a grasp on linear algebra until I needed it for my grad school work. It's a shame. Once you know it, it's basically cheat codes for programming or any math based EE course.
>>
>>7728452

> Got the NSF fellowship
> Still have to TA half the year
>>
Finance PhD here, you anons will at least never have to suffer the pain of TAing MBA students. They're only marginally more intelligent than undergrads but far more entitled about grades.
>>
>>7728443
Nah, some of the best students I've talked to are CS students. This may partially be due to the fact that CS seemed to be really popular, though.
>>
>>7728464
Probably gonna go for a PhD in Finance. Business majors are usually dumb af, I dread the time when I have to grade anything quantitative. You'd think something like basic bond pricing wouldn't be the end of the world.
>>
>>7728457
>>7728366

1st year Undeclared Engineering (EECS master race?) here

Finishing up the Math 54 this semester here... and you sound like someone I know. Fang?

Anyways, I agree with you about most of the people here. I got 50/50 on midterm 1, 53/55 midterm 2, taking final tomorrow. Most people here are shit. I just don't understand how the people that average 40% or less got here in the first place.
>>
>>7728474
Hey, at least undergrads have some self-awareness. MBA students think they're God's gift to the university. Last week I had a student who insisted the first and second welfare theorems couldn't be right even under their full assumptions. Since he wouldn't be able to understand the formal proof, I ended up drawing dozens of graphs in office hours.
>>
>>7728465
Or that EECS at Berkley is closer to CpE/ECE at other schools than CS
>>
>>7728484
Ayy, MechE here.
He said upper div, btw; that implies 100 series or higher.
>>
>>7728515
Shoulda just given him the proof senpai.

I guess you're right. Aren't mba's usually engineers and scientists who want to get into business? You'd think they'd be decent at understanding stuff, more so than business undergrads.
>>
>>7728443

Rekt
>>
>>7728409

Read books and capitalize your I's.
>>
>>7728515
Jesus, what did he object to? Pareto efficiency is about as strong a condition as "continuous almost everywhere" desu senpai
>>
>>7728966
>criticizing grammar on 4chan

smdh tbqh
>>
Berkley kids weren't smart enough to get into Stanford.
>>
>>7729722
>>smdh tbqh

Back in my day, moot would have banned you for that kiddo. Get off my 4chan!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.