[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question about prime numbers that might not have a proven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Prime-Numbers.jpg (15KB, 328x246px) Image search: [Google]
Prime-Numbers.jpg
15KB, 328x246px
I have a question about prime numbers that might not have a proven answer, but here it goes.

I'm using the term 'gap' here loosely because I know 'primes gap' is a real term concerning the areas where we haven't established where primes may or may not be.

However, my question is, what is the largest 'gap' possible between every prime?
in other words, if gap = difference, the gap between primes A and B implies that in the range between those numbers there are no primes left, what is the maximum difference between A and B possible?

E.g. there are no primes between 23 & 29, that gap is 6 as 24,25,26,27,28 are not prime

there are no primes between 1327 & 1361
gap is 34

Is there any conventional method or theory for defining the maximum difference?
>>
>>7727321
This gap you described has no bound, meaning that for every natural n there are two primes p,q with p-q>=n so that there is no prime number r with q<r<p.
>>
>>7727321
That literally is the definition of a prime gap, [math]g_n = p_{n+1}-p_n[/math]
That gap increases to infinity. That doesn't mean there's a finite amount of primes, it just means it gets arbitrarily large for high n. Interestingly there's times when there's a huge gap between primes and then there's a twin prime right next to it.
>>
Largefrac13fraclogXloglogXloglogloglogX(logloglogX)2
>>
File: PrimeGapsGraphic2.png (118KB, 615x300px) Image search: [Google]
PrimeGapsGraphic2.png
118KB, 615x300px
Am I reading this correctly?

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20141210-prime-gap-grows-after-decades-long-lull/

is the implication here really that 70,000,000 is the largest possible gap indefinitely?

I must be reading it wrong, I thought the gap expanded to infinite
>>
>>7727462
No the theorem states that we have a gap smaller than 70 mio infinitly often - ie the lim inf is bounded by that quantity. In fact we can prove a gap around 346 i think with Methods of Maynard and Tao. But something like 12 is the limit of that method so it will not prove prime twin conjecture. Its easy to see btw that you can create arbitrary long gaps by considering Numbers of the form x! + j with j = 1...x that will give you a gap of length x for any given x. There is also a conjucture about long gaps.
>>
>>7727878
>No the the theoremes state´s that we have a gape smaler than the 70 mios infintely
No. can you restated
It¨s not cölesar English, please
>>
File: 1361829418049.jpg (9KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
1361829418049.jpg
9KB, 242x208px
>>7727321
Hey I got a question for y'all

Does that recently formatted equation for sequencing primes include reducing irrationals to their infinitesimals?

;)
>>
File: primegaps.jpg (116KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
primegaps.jpg
116KB, 700x525px
>>7727321
tables of prime gaps

http://www.trnicely.net/index.html#TPG
>>
>>7727348
It can't increase to infinity if it's a line segment on the number line. Two disparate points still = segment.

Though it is interesting to note that 333333... and 999999... are both infinite.
>>
>>7727321
about 70 million.

there's a numberphile video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkMXdShDdtY
>>
>>7728472
Although put into practical application that is some break the universe shit.

Unless we're thinking in terms of area. 3W x infinityL vs 9W x infinityL

It'd work for any dimensional space.

I guess that's one way of figuring that the energy of the universe can't be infinite. If the values of 333... and 999... were put into two separate mass forms Dear Lord Jesus
>>
>>7728508
they were
in ur mum
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.