[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever realized that people openly block advancing technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: DSP_Image_OrioninFlight.gif (54KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
DSP_Image_OrioninFlight.gif
54KB, 400x298px
Have you ever realized that people openly block advancing technology unless they're in a war desperate to kill the enemy? Technology gets shot down my contrarians today when during Nazi Germany stuff like the EM drive, Skylon and Nuclear pulse propulsion would have gotten "fuck it why not?" government funding. Everything the Nazis funded was originally trashed by Western scientists. Rocketry, you bet your sweet ass no Western government would have poured $50 billion into Goddard's research which was what the Nazis spent on the V-2. Even the jet engine, Whittle was told it would never work by the RAF chief scientist and had to pay for it out of his own pocket until we saw the Germans doing it so had to start funding it ourselves. Moral of the story is that contrarianism is what is holding back technology not lack of ability for when it is wartime and people ignore the contrarian arguments out of desperation to win technology leaps forward.
>>
File: 1438616424297.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1438616424297.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>7726763
let's start some wars then
>>
>>7726771
With nationalism and far-right rethoric on the rise in Europe it's not such a crazy idea anymore.

>tfw you'll *maybe* live long enough to see interstellar probes
>>
>>7726791
>Far-Right on the rise
>National Front BTFO in French elections
>Commisar Corbyn Runs the British Labour party
>Merkel the cuck has been in power longer than Hitler.
>>
>>7726763
>Have you ever realized that people openly block advancing technology unless they're in a war desperate to kill the enemy?
Old news. This is why Hotol was stopped: it benefited nameless paper pushers in Whitehall.

Mind you here is also a huge difference between UK and US: After the was a lot of war time tech was made available in the civilian market and the scientists were heroes. In UK everything was still secret, much was destroyed and questions will always linger that people were killed to avoid very very secret military stuff should get out.

This cost the UK the entire market in electronics, computers, jet and rocket propulsion, telecommunications, radar and a lot more.
>>
>>7726791
We don't need fascists for a good war. All we need to do is nuke Mecca.
>>
>>7726763
The low IQ mongoloids have always gotten in the way of scientific advancement with their nonsensical obsession with paper currency.
>>
>>7726763
>EM drive, Skylon and Nuclear pulse propulsion
I like how you sneak the bullshit in with stuff that at least makes sense on paper. The problem with Skylon is that space agencies are risk adverse since anything going wrong means they get less money. The problem with Orion is that people knew what radiation was. Or at least thought they knew.
>>
>>7726845
The obsession isn't with paper, it's with perceived affordance and self elevation. The paper is the proxy, just as the rocket is a proxy to space.

I don't like what we are either, but it's important to realistically characterize what drives people.
>>
>>7726858
Ok maybe not even the Nazis would have supported the EM drive but Orion and Skylon was deadly serious. Orion was eventually agreed to be used in space only and not in the Earth's atmosphere, it got ended because some hippies got anal about nukes in space. I think it quite laughable that limit ourselves to chemicals for space propulsion when we have had access to a power source orders of magnitude greater for over 50 years. Also i think that what Orion was intended for - interstellar travel was a bit too much for the public to stomach financially. Using it for the fast exploration of the outer Solar System would have been a more reasonable first step. Pretty sure New Horizons wouldn't have taken nine years to get to Pluto had it been packing nuclear pulse propulsion.

As for Skylon the clear issue is that it is too much of a radical departure for the space industry. No-one will fund this when they already have Atlases, Arianes, Soyuzes and Falcons that Just Werk™

In stead of doing the same old thing over and over again we should give radical new methods a chance.
>>
An interesting example is the machine gun and repeating arms in general. The militaries of the world actually barely funded it, it was largely the work of illustrious private individuals such as Hiram Maxim, Samuel Colt and John Browning. Why? Because the top brass were notorious for being set in their ways. "It will jam! Too expensive to manufacture! Soldiers will waste bullets!" were typical strawman arguments thrown at it. Thanks to the burgeoning private arms industry and 2nd amendment in the USA private individuals were able to privately manufacture and sell arms until the military finally took notice. I hope that /sci/ can learn from this story and stop with the smug contrarianism for it is truly the cancer in science. if something looks reasonable on paper it shouldn't be trashed until it is actually tried.
>>
>>7726956
>"It will jam! Too expensive to manufacture! Soldiers will waste bullets!"
yeah that was totally the reason noone jumped right on the machine gun band wagon when it first appeared
because they thought soldiers would waste bullets or because it COULD jam, not because the established military doctrines were still remnants of the civil war and the first machine gun prototypes WERE jam-tastic pieces of shit that didn't provide an actual advantage in the combat situations they were tested it

when maxim came up with his design, which would quite literally shoot a hundred thousands rounds non-stop as long as you kept feeding it ammo, water and barrels, it was adopted by everyone who didn't already buy a hotchkiss
>>
>>7727014
The Union refused to issue the Henry rifle despite the obvious advantage.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.