[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vegetarian and 'healthy' diets could be more harmf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 151214130727_1_540x360.jpg (21KB, 414x360px) Image search: [Google]
151214130727_1_540x360.jpg
21KB, 414x360px
Vegetarian and 'healthy' diets could be more harmful to the environment, researchers say

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm

It seems to me like this is just Monsanto propaganda. There is more profit in engineering and producing animal feed than selling plain vegetables.

"Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon"
How could this possibly ever be true?

I live in an area with lots of natural rainfall, and lettuce grows in my yard for 2/3 of the year. But all I ever did was plant seeds and the food just grows out of the ground, raising a pig would be thousands of times more resource intensive
>>
>>7725295

>Higher resource use per calorie

This is not surprising at all. Vegetable crops generally require a lot of water, pesticide and fertiliser to be produced on a large scale, especially when compared to cereals. They also have very little calorific content when compared to meat and cereal crops.

Makes sense they require more fossil fuel energy, and more natural resources per calorie.
>>
>"Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon"
>How could this possibly ever be true?

Did you try reading the research that they reference?
>>
because of the high amout of calories in bacon compared to lettuce you would need a lot more lettuce to get the same amount of calories.
But the thing is you wouldn't really eat all lettuce for your calories, you would supply with bread or something else high in carbs to get enough calories. Can't seem to find the original research though. I'm just lazy maybe
>>
I don't think lettuce is most vegetarians' prime food source.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to look at lentils or some of that other disgusting shit?
>>
>>7725423
I'm vegan.
Lettuce is a poor choice, if you want leaves cabbage is much more nutritious.

I don't care much about the ethics, I just don't like meat
>>
>>7725295
>high resource uses and greenhouse gas emissions per calorie
>celery has no calories
This report is dividing by zero, I don't trust it
>>
This asumes you'd get all your calories from fucking lettuce. To me lettuce is something you eat on the side because it's healthy or as a replacement for a meal when you already got enough calories that day.

I'm not even vegetarian but this is retarded cklickbait.
>>
>>7725295
>science daily

people who are not scientists should be banned from sci
>>
>lettuce

Holy shit this is so fucking retarded. Do they actually think that vegetarians have lettuce as their primary calories source? Lol.
>>
Yes, it's bullshit. Industrial agriculture uses vast amounts of resources. Most of this comes back to oil, which is used in every step of the process. Think about the chemical production, transportation (both of materials and product), machines, modifications to the landscape (flattening, moving of soil), etc. Most of these costs are hidden by subsidies, and by their extreme complexity and intractability.
>>
my lettuce grows in a big box with above my aquarium
i-it only uses 38,4 kWh a month
>>
>>7726704
says you :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNgA06xE_Ng
>>
>>7726757
WHAT THE FUCK

>valencia oranges
>3 lbs (edible portion)
> = 564 calories

WHAT A STUPID BITCH

THE PEEL OF A SINGLE LARGE ORANGE HAS 100 CALORIES

SHE IS MISSING OUT ON 700 CALORIES HAHAHAHA

JESUS FUCK

AND DON'T FORGET THE BANANA PEELS

FUCKING CHRISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>7725295
I calculate that on a per-calorie basis, bottled water is a bazillion times worse than prime rib for greenhouse gas emissions.
>>
>>7725295
"Our analysis uses a bottom-up approach based on a meta-analysis of the existing academic literature"

meta-analysis: when you can't be bothered to do your own research.
>>
>>7726804
>meta-analysis: when you can't be bothered to do your own research.
and probably want to selectively skew the implications of existing data while pretending you're elucidating a wider perspective and greater clarity*

As a rule, meta-analysis are worthless as actual statements. They're just good summaries to figure where to direct further research.
>>
>>7725295
>Monsanto propaganda
>>
>>7726789
You are correct. Have 3 kids, I buy 42x 500ml (1 pint) plastic bottles of water every week. We are consuming plastic like fuck..
>>
>>7725425
>don't like meat
Or milk apparently. Or cheese. Or...
>>
>high resource uses and greenhouse gas emissions per calorie

Is that really how they broke it down? Is it per calorie of final product? Does that account for:

-How much energy is takes to raise animals for human consumption?
-How many calories pass straight through the animal via excretion?
-Transportation energy use?
-Refrigeration energy use?
-Etc.
>>
>>7725295
Your answer:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/vegetarian-bad-for-environment-debunked_567072d7e4b0e292150f95a4
>>
>>7727515
your point being?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.