[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite episode(s)? I'd have to go with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Mythbusters.jpg (156KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mythbusters.jpg
156KB, 600x300px
What's your favorite episode(s)?

I'd have to go with all the duct tape ones
>>
>>7723960
One of the dumbest shows I've ever seen.
>>
>>7723962
What's so wrong about it?
>>
>>7723966
Non-rigorous and poorly controlled experiments. Their conclusions are presented with a moronic level of certainty when different parameters very easily could have yielded success. Their interpretation of legends and myths is also frequently left wanting.

The ice cannon comes to mind. Why would it have been a cylinder? Why would your nearly random choice of diameter and cannon ball size have been the only case? What was the salinity and mineral content of this frozen water, and what was the ambient temperature? How much powder was likely used? None of this was controlled for or even mentioned. They just did the "experiment", the goddamn thing WORKED, but it fell apart at later stages. Since it's TV they can't say "Well I'm kind of uncertain and further trials are needed... if we tweak these parameters then maybe x y z..." no, instead it's conclusively BBBBUUUUSSSSTTTTEEEEEDDDDD DUDDEE!!

You didn't bust shit. Every episode is largely the same because it's meant for entertainment. But people take it seriously. Fucking mythwhores.
>>
>>7723971
I don't think they had much time to make most of the episodes, but ya, some of them could have been done a lot better, at least for the final season they've already filmed it all so they've had tons of time for it
>>
>>7723971
They already know the answer to the myth because they do research except for some few cases. I mean, they did a complete episode on free energy shit and you can clearly see adam annoyed by the stupidity of the claim.

They just try to present the answer in a fun way. I mean, they usually conclude their mythbusting with explanatios bases on real scientific theories.

You are just some butrhurt autist undergrad or a science fan.
>>
File: unscientific.png (64KB, 599x524px) Image search: [Google]
unscientific.png
64KB, 599x524px
>>7723971
>>
>>7723971
This.

It's watchable and sometimes amusing, but it's not to be taken as sound science.
>>
>>7723991
Wasn't their data from the bullet fired straight up fairly usable or something.
>>
>>7723971
>>7723991
This show is not meant to produce published scientific research.This is a show about the application of the experimentation to test ideas and popular beliefs. Why would you expect them to have strong rigor?
>>
>>7723987
>>7723999
It teaches strong certainty where you shouldn't necessarily have any, which is a far worse affliction plaguing humanity than it slipping people's minds to put their beliefs to the test. It's another form of teaching faith in authority, because most of the underpinnings of what people think and experience they cannot test to begin with.

It is better to teach intelligently modulated skepticism, identifying and controlling for potential error, and solid experimental design. Mythbuster's is net harmful, and resurrecting Feynman to hide behind him while you make it seem like he would believe what you do, doesn't change that.
>>
File: 1446644418256.png (91KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1446644418256.png
91KB, 600x600px
Who is an Electrical Engineer ?

Who is a Steel worker ?
>>
>>7723971
>Why would it have been a cylinder

Go to bed kiddo
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.