[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has population growth of this nature ever been witnessed in another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: population_growth.jpg (52KB, 703x578px) Image search: [Google]
population_growth.jpg
52KB, 703x578px
Has population growth of this nature ever been witnessed in another species? What ended up happening?
>>
File: Crash2[1].gif (7KB, 354x427px) Image search: [Google]
Crash2[1].gif
7KB, 354x427px
This is what happens
>>
>>7723897
Strange, but that won't happen for humans. Crashes only happen when the carrying capacity of the environment sharply drops.
>>
>>7723897
I guess I should explain. Environments have a certain amount of carrying capacity which is determined by the features of that environment. How much food is available, how much water is available, the shelter it provides, etc. Any of those features can be considered limiting factors. If there is an abundance of shelter, that's not going to help a species if there is no food or water, for instance.

After a species exceeds the carrying capacity of it's environment, it will not completely drop off right away, but shortages will start to occur and massive die offs will ensue due to lack of resources. As a population exceeds the carrying capacity of it's environment, it can also damage that environment and lower it's carrying capacity. This is something we see in deer due to the lack of predators. The deer strip all the vegetation away, starve themselves to death, and invariably lower the amount of deer the land can sustain come spring. Damage to the carrying capacity of an environment can take years to recover. The picture shows the difference between a health understory and an overbrowsed understory. It's a little hard to see but there is a distinct line in the right image where deer can no longer reach up and nibble on the plants.

For humans, its somewhat different. We are a global species that is continuously raising, through science and technology, the carrying capacity of Earth, at least for humans. Once we exceed that carrying capacity, and can no longer increase it, that's when shit is going down. Just like the deer example above, we could completely ruin the planet for us (and everything else) and our population will drop like a rock due to famine, disease, and war over resources.
>>
File: Forest[1].jpg (67KB, 640x329px) Image search: [Google]
Forest[1].jpg
67KB, 640x329px
>>7723937
Completely forgot my image

>>7723933
That is what happens when an organism exceeds in carrying capacity, which can also damage the environment and cause the carrying capacity to drop.
>>
>>7723941
The woods on the right are almost surreal.
>>
>>7723891
malthusian crises
they will happen
>>
Many times, with the species ranging from bacteria to large mammals. The species uses up all the food and/or changes the environment to the point where it can't make as much food. After that, the species mostly dies.
>>
>>7723941
Ok. But humans have ladders, so we would have no problem getting the higher up leaves.
>>
>>7723956
What happens when you eat everything to the top of the trees?
>>
>>7723959
You up the price of oil and sell it to buy rice while funding terrorists
>>
>>7723969
>>
>>7723979
>keeping sketch lines in a digital drawing
wow, so honest, from the heart
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.