[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you guys help me out on my math problem? My friend says its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (79KB, 937x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 937x960px
Can you guys help me out on my math problem? My friend says its six but I think it's one. Please help?
>>
go back to /b/
>>
>>7723815
both are correct.
>>
For the record, it's 9 and only 9. Trying to explain that to /b/ is like pulling teeth though.
>>
>>7723839
[math]\frac{6}{2(1+2)}[/math]
>>
>>7723842

Except that is incorrect. Multiplication and division are read left to right. This is

6 / 2 * (1+2), or

\frac{6}{2} * (1+2)
>>
>>7723842

Sorry, a bit new around here, still getting used to formatting.

[math]\frac{6}{2} * (1+2)[/math]
>>
>>7723853
i'm not saying it's right i'm just explaining how people can get confused

and yeah sure multiplication and division gets read left to right but you should at least be able to see why they're confused and perhaps not be so militant
>>
>>7723815
The answer is 5

6/2(1+2)
3(1)+2
=5
>>
if you use PEMDAS it would be (1+2)=(3) 2*(3)=6
6/6=1 in PEMDAS you solve whats inside the parentheses first then you look for exponents thenn multiplication then division and the addition then subtraction
>>
>>7723862

Oh, I can totally see how it can be misinterpreted. Most of the answers I can easily understand. It's just the people who are militant about insisting that their wrong answer is correct even after explanation who can be annoying :P
>>
In most calculators, where the calculation is done using the shunting yard algorithm,
The answer is 1

On the other hand, many programming languages parse equal precedence operators expressions left to right, where the answer will be 9

According _remove_dem_signs_ standards, the answer is 6212 for obvious reasons

According to MySystem the answer is NOT -12, because we replace ÷ by ×, + by -, = by ≠ and vice versa and evaluate outside the parentheses first
>>
>>7723911
That explains why my graphics calc gives me 1 as an answer
>>
>>7723876
The rules of PEMDAS mean you do multiplication and division in the same step from left to right. Same with addition and subtraction.
>>
>>7723815
6/2(1+2)=9
3*3=9

Why would you even think it's one?
>>
>>7724027
Because there are no brackets around 6/2 making it unclear
>>
>>7723815
It's 1.
>>
i got 9
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.