[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be honest with me about the hadron collider and particle accelerators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: accelerator.jpg (174KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
accelerator.jpg
174KB, 416x416px
Be honest with me about the hadron collider and particle accelerators and stuff.

It seems like scientists are always asking for more money for these things, but what is the purpose? If the results were useful to companies, wouldn't the companies be happy to pay? It makes me wonder if this is really useful if the government needs to pay the bill... the market should decide. Like, how does Higg's boson help me?

Also, is there any risk of funding this stuff? Like, think about the Manhattan Project. Learning about nuclear physics seemed like a good idea at the time, but now you have Iran and North Korea. Couldn't the same happen with these particle accelerators?
>>
>>7723621
How exactly do you expect Iran or North Korea to try and build a 30 mile particle collider without us noticing?
>>
File: 1445407876895.png (136KB, 462x579px) Image search: [Google]
1445407876895.png
136KB, 462x579px
>>7723621
people respect knowledge, even if it has no apparent practical use today. There are groups that pool money for the purpose of developing understanding and there are people that start businesses to understand things. It's not just about money to everyone.
>>
File: 660[1].jpg (6KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
660[1].jpg
6KB, 200x195px
>>7723621
I hope no one is stupid enough to fall for this thread.

>but now you have Iran and North Korea
biggest danger is Israel the US of A though
>>
The pursuit of knowledge is the reason you are able to make such a shitty thread.

If you want a better answer; when you get an MRI scan at the hospital to find tumors in your body, you can thank advancements in science and physics for that.
>>
>>7723658
I never had a tumor or an MRI for that matter, and neither have most people.
>>
>>7723701
Are you underaged? Cancer is the leading cause of death right behind heart disease. Tumors are the number one killers besides fast food.
>>
>>7723705
Also, particle accelerators could end up being used as a replacement for Chemo to get rid of cancer cells and tumors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_therapy

>think about the Manhattan Project. Learning about nuclear physics seemed like a good idea at the time
The Manhattan project wasn't in the pursuit of knowledge, it was carried out in secret for the weaponization of nuclear physics.
>>
>>7723705
so what you're saying is that you need to stop drinking alcohol and eating so much?
No need for hardon colliders...
>>
>>7723621
>The Manhatten Project was the only good thing nuclear physics research ever did
>Now enemies of murican freedom could make nukes
>Particle accelerators, next enemies of freedom?

B A I T
A
I
T

H A R D E R
A
R
D
E
R
>>
>>7723720
There's other types of cancer other than liver cancer you dipshit. Drinking alcohol doesn't cause you to get breast cancer.
>inb4 you need to stop being a girl
>>
>>7723731
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/alcohol-and-cancer/how-alcohol-causes-cancer
mouth, larynx, oesophagus, BREAST IN WOMEN, liver, bowel.

get rekt. Educate yourself you alcohol drinking savage.
>>
>>7723621
Just because it isn't economically beneficial to a normal company doesnt mean that it isnt important you fucking faggot
>>
isn't that pic that one megadeth album
>>
>>7723621
>It seems like scientists are always asking for more money for these things, but what is the purpose?

The purpose is welfare. There are tens of thousands of PhDs worldwide who expect to be paid to sit around and play with math. This is not useful work.
>>
Lmao I love it when rejects like this try to talk about an academic group and their significance even though they couldn't possibly comprehend a small fraction of their contribution to humanity. We know how to use your money far better than you do so just sit down and finish your McDonald's
>>
>>7723621
They are cool toys.

I'm sure putting a man on the moon was fun too, albeit not very practical (they had to spend a lot of money getting him back).
>>
>>7724513
They invented tons of stuff due to the moon landing project
>>
>>7724505
and yet you can't justify it to an educated person so you hide behind your "academic group" belonging.
>>
>>7724531
Would you teach music theory to a monkey? Why waste the effort? Now that is a pointless endeavor wouldnt you say hm?
>>
I have a hypothesis that the HIggs would not only cure cancer, but would make genetic sequencing that much easier in creating the perfect being (i.e. everyone is a savant of any and/or all types.) Additionally, we could cure asthma which is probably the most misunderstood genetic disease next to schizophrenia (although I don't think that being on the continuum isn't all bad.)
>>
>>7724537
and here you are again with no justification.
I am at least as qualified as you are, but you can't be bothered to make your point so I guess you just lost this argument.
>>
File: Dr Crazy.jpg (2MB, 1376x1972px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Crazy.jpg
2MB, 1376x1972px
>>7723714
>The Manhattan project wasn't in the pursuit of knowledge, it was carried out in secret for the weaponization of nuclear physics

Yes, that is true.

But many Manhattan Project scientists quickly abandoned the militarization of the project once the Trinity device was detonated.

Except for a few.

Pic related
>>
>>7723720
I'll collide my hardon with you m8
>>
People who ask "what is the point of doing science if it isn't immediately profitable/has no impact on my daily life" will never really understand the answer.
>>
>>7725472
because they don't believe in a dogma without justification? Fuck them, right?
>>
>>7726079
People like you would have prevented calculus brcause lol tangents on a curve are useless for my lute engineering!
>>
>>7726084
>unverifiable accusations
>tu quoque
still no argument bro. Are you getting mad that people see through your bullshit now?
>>
>>7725472
I think Bell Labs is the best thing to bring up in support of basic research.

Get together shit tons of the best scientists and let them do more or less whatever they want with absolutely no goals.

They invent the transistor, the C programming language, Unix, information theory, etc...
>>
>>7725472
Sadly, this
>>
There's usually about 40-70 years between a revolutionary discovery in physics and a "common man" commercial application.

Corporations look at profits over the next two quarters, five years is an eternity for most of them. 70 years? Forget it.

Look at Tsiolkovsky's equations of rocket flight vs first commercial satellites. Look at ENIAC vs home computers. Wright brothers vs commercial airliners. Microwaves vs microwave oven. Discovery of laser vs CD.

The breakthrough invention is almost always state-sponsored and takes many years to mature into technology that will get into bulk commercial market.

Nuclear power plants and smoke detectors came amazingly fast for their complexity, and even that shouldn't be dated back to the Manhattan project but to Marie Curie.

So there's no commercial interest into LHC, the Stellator or ISS simply because they won't bring any rise in quarterly reports over the next two years.
>>
>>7723621
>Higgs boson can't help us.
Litteraly the very thing holding together the universe at which, upon solving could lead humanity into a complete stage 1 or even stage 2 civilisation. Nah not important.
>>
>>7723621
>Like, how does Higg's boson help me?
I don't remember who I'm quoting, but: When the electron was discovered in 1897, nobody thought it was important. Now we have an entire society running on electronics.
>>
>>7727891
Is this bait? Electromagnetism was discovered and utilized long before anyone knew or cared about electrons. The Higgs Boson is just an explanation for what we already know.
>>7726966
What practical use could this research possibly have. Wright Brothers had a clear aim in mind; flying.
>>
Finding the boson was done while looming to solve the mysteries of what gives particles weight. Theoretically if we could conquer gravity and other forces we could create near limitless energy. A turbine that spins forever with nothing to push it simply because we started its motion and keep all outside force out. Even if thats prooved false there is artificial gravity, and the much desired hober cars. Personally im looking forward to the changes to be made in particle physics more though.
>>
>>7727941
On a shitty phone pardon my type-os
>>
>>7723705
So are you saying 'death' is the reason we should be researching things that otherwise have no apparent value? It's not as if we are struggling to refill our numbers. Population growth far outstrips death, so maybe cancer is not such a bad thing.
>>
>>7725472
I'm all for understanding the world around us, but what makes me, and I assume others who bring up the issue, mad is when I see billions of dollars going towards research that produces nothing in return. The money and resources could have been used elsewhere to develop/maintain infrastructures.
>>
>>7727839
Or it could lead us down a path of retardation. Maybe we messed up. Maybe the Higgs doesn't exist and our whole understanding of the subject is flawed. But because we have invested so much time and money into it, nobody will ever admit it, but instead keep on plugging away trying to solve something that doesn't exist.
>>
>>7723641
>Underground
>Reflective covering
>Secret Testing
>Secret Team Designation
I think it'll work, they could say that they are just building a road or sth
>>
>>7727902
>>7727902
Electricity was utilized many decades after Volta's discovery of battery,

Electromagnetism - electric motor - came long after Ampere's discovery of magnetic field produced by a conductor.

Discovery of free electrons allowed creation of the kinescope -> TV

The discovery of static electricity by the ancients yielded no practical use at the time, and we really don't know how long was it between discovery of magnetic soil at Magnesia and production of the first compass.

So, nope, an experiment may explain/confirm something we already know, and yet still bring new inventions later.

When the first linear accelerator was built, it was all about analyzing particles. Nobody at the time thought one would put a linear accelerator on a space probe and use it as a ion drive to fly it by Pluto.
>>
>>7723621
>Like, how does teh Large Hardon Collider
>and teh Higg's bosom help me?
It's not about you, fgt pls
>>
>>7723621
There are no business people around who earn 1e6x more than you, you don't need to act like that.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.