[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>memeing over mechanical or compsci >forgetting that civil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (9KB, 255x186px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9KB, 255x186px
>memeing over mechanical or compsci
>forgetting that civil is the reason you even have a house and roads to travel on

It's pretty much the best branch of engineering, why do people forget this?
>>
>>7719600
Civil Engineering is rather underrated. The problem with the modern discipline is that research has started to stagnate. The only active fields seem to be transportation and advances in material science propagating from other fields.

Let's not get started on the green architecture meme, optimizing heat exchange networks is not real research.
>>
>>7719609
Eh, I'd say Environmental is doing fairly well nowadays.
>>
what's aerospace engineering like?

no trolls pls
>>
>>7719600
because its not as conceptually interesting to most people as other fields
>>
I'm majoring in civil engineering for various reasons. My primary interest is economics but I realize that although I enjoy reading and discussing economics, I don't want to be an economist. I also like history and philosophy, but I don't want to be a historian or philosopher either.

The two main reasons I want to be a civil engineer though is that I enjoy doing math and my dad is a licensed and ASCE certified PE who specializes in structural engineering consultancy. He's the CEO of his own one-man company, makes good money, and has already told me once I graduate graduate I can work for him. I'd be stupid not to take advantage of an opportunity like that.
>>
>>7720839
General aviation is booming, and there's the ever-present need to remove kebab. The problem is that it's very cyclical, and with oil as cheap as it is, airlines might stick with their older planes rather than buying newer, more efficient ones.
>>
I know OP didn't mention it, but ChemE is the meme. It's not a cool job where you do chemistry and engineer chemicals; its a bunch of calculating flow rates and yields. Switching back to regular Chem next semester.
>>
>>7719600
Railroad engineering = best engineering.
>>
>>7721060
I've taken a few environmental courses that have similar topics. Actually like flow rates. Fucking despise growth rates though
>>
>>7721060
>It's not a cool job where you do chemistry and engineer chemicals

Duh, everyone knows it would be better named "Tube Engineering".
>>
>>7721060

Chemistry is close to a meme major. You take a little more than a minor worth of classes to earn the major: Gen, Orgo, PChem, Inorganic, Analytical.
>>
File: goat_climbing.jpg (259KB, 750x960px) Image search: [Google]
goat_climbing.jpg
259KB, 750x960px
>>7721060

You get paid alot though. Chemical engineers could probably afford a goat.
>>
File: 1440945349760.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1440945349760.gif
3MB, 480x270px
How to tell when someone is struggling to find validity in their work.
>Without me, you wouldn't have _____!

My house is 60 fucking years old. It's a structure of wood, drywall, and insulation.
Do you think people just got by without roads and fucking houses before civil engineering was a goddamn degree? Goddamn.
>>
>The two main reasons I want to be a civil engineer though is that I enjoy doing math
KEK
E
K
Any other engineer knows more math than civilfags.
>>
>>7721269
Compared to chemistry or biology there's a lot more math you need to learn. I'm not comparing civil engineering specifically to other engineering degrees.
>>
>>7719600
>>7719609
>>7721060
>>7721480
Are you all fucking stupid? Electrical Engineering is by far the most difficult. I'm in school for EE/CE and I LOVE it, but it's basically just an applied math degree.

As of importance?
How do you think you're able to type out your pompous little comments for the world to see? Who designed the circuit board?
Who designed the circuit elements?
Where are you plugging your laptop into?
How was the power transmitted to your house?
Who designed the power transport system?
How does legitimately anything besides your own body, and simple human/animal driven tools work?
Electricity.
Meme about civil all you want, but they're borderline laughed at alongside industrial engineering students here.
>>
>>7721524
Have you ever considered that engineering disciplines work in tandem to create the world we live today?
>>
Even though civil engineering is extremely important, hence the Roman's short success, it is not the highest demand engineering focus.
>>
>>7719609

It's not just transport. Any sort of infrastructure such as roads, electrical grid, water supply, routing for air travel (this one is a weird overlap, you're more likely to get a compsci guy doing it), optimisation of scheduling, etc. all comes comes under the general heading of Network Optimisation (Graph theory for those who know their maths).

>>7721524

Refer to my previous reply, an Ee probably designed the components but they definitely didn't design the network layout.

>>7720818

They're doing okay, but they don't really get the smart students. I know people who picked environmental because it's "the easy one so I won't fail" and "it seemed better suited for girls"
>>7721269

>proving you've never even seen a third year civil class
>>
>>7721530
haha yes totally but no one even mentioned ee, and alongside chemical it is seen to be the most difficult here by far, besides biomedical.
>>7721533
How do you suppose I look at your previous reply?
>>
>>7721251

Usually just the petroleum ones. They're average pay is only a bit above average for engineers if you don't include those who work at a petrol company
>>
>>7721536

in the same comment yah dumfuck. EE is clearly full of retards if you're doing it.
>>
>>7721524
Fellow EE/CE student here. I think the difficulty is somewhat based on your interest of the material. The math isn't even that difficult considering it goes as far up to Vector Calc, babby PDEs and some functional analysis at the most. However, I think for most students it's much more easier to visualize a dynamic problem over an E&M field one.
>>
Chem e here, graduating soon with no job due to oil crash. Regretting not picking civil for the job security and lower pay. Serious advice here, dont pick your major based on sci memes. I pickded a god tier major accordong to the charts, but its the cs majors and civil enginrers getting the last laugh
>>
>>7721609
fuck off, food companies love chemical engineers. I bet you just don't want to move to the midwest.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.