[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Why are we learning this? What's the application? >When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1445060102192.gif (990KB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
1445060102192.gif
990KB, 240x135px
>Why are we learning this? What's the application?
>When am I ever going to use [rudimentary mathematical object] in real life?
>>
>>7718423
Well tell me, what ARE the applications of calculus? Seems like arbirary abstraction to me.
>>
underage pls
>>
File: rage.png (395KB, 500x604px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
395KB, 500x604px
>>
>>7718429
The utility of having a baggage of knowledge means you wilk get hired in better jobs with a higher salary if that is you plebs just care about.
>>
>>7718586
You learned that in 1st grade. It's called addition and subtraction.
>>
File: 1444239802200.jpg (22KB, 312x290px) Image search: [Google]
1444239802200.jpg
22KB, 312x290px
>>7718586
>Can someone teach me how to add up the cost of everything I've bought and compare it with the change in my bank statement?

>>7718597
This
How many engineers actually find analytical solutions to DEs, the backbone of various subfields of engineering?
>>
>>7718586
If you need a class that shows you how to "balance" a check book, you will probably fail that class too. Also, there are home ec classes, are these retards serious?
>>
>>7718586
Why would anyone who needs to be taught how to 'ballance a checkbook' go to college?

Why would anyone take maths classes that teach subjects which will not have an application in their respective field?
>>
>>7718586
kek if you need to be taught how to balance a fucking checkbook, just give up now. life is way harder than that.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (63KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
63KB, 288x288px
>>7718423

By its very essence, mathematics is completely useless. If it were useful, it would be considered engineering or physics, not mathematics.
>>
>>7718638
>nobody replied to my thread, so i'll shitpost in others
>>
>>7718586
>in class about complex numbers
>doesnt even know basic addition and subtraction on integers

this is retarded
>>
>>7718586

>how to balance a checkbook

Why would you beg for someone to send you to special ed.
>>
>>7718608
>How many engineers actually find analytical solutions to DEs, the backbone of various subfields of engineering?
what do you mean? Most real life design problems don't have analytical solutions.
It doesn't mean you can't find good enough solutions, since all that matters is requirement specs that you define (or are imposed). You can always get close enough to the "real" solution using sobolev spaces for example.
>>
And you idiots wonder why the other boards poke fun at you tightass autistic dipshits. Learn to take a joke.

The infographic wasn't meant to be taken seriously you retards.
>>
>>7718586
>"I"
>an imaginary number

triggered
>>
>>7718605
>>7718610
>>7718612
>>7718614
>>7718788
>>7718802
It's funny how smart you guys think you are, but by missing the point so completely hard, you just look like dumbasses.
Wait for it...
>>
>>7719043
can you tell me what the point is please? I never got it.
>>
File: 144789587391.jpg (57KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
144789587391.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>>7718586
>preach
>>
>>7719043
It has to do with what he says in the last panel of the comic.
>>
>>7719043
>wait for it
mate, you're probably 13 years old
>>
>>7718586
>Can't add and subtract
>In high school
The whole point of education, in theory, is to prevent you from being retarded. Clearly the system has failed people like this.
>>
>>7719043
There is no short route to learn mathematics, even purely applied ones. In order to apply many things you should have a good understanding of how to manipulate algebraic equations and how to solve them. Know what does a derivative or integral represent etc etc. If you think statistics is or even accounting is just le apply formula you are pretty wrong. The point is if you do not like mathematics, it is near to impossible that you are goibg to grasp and mantain a practical sense of math. So either stop doing math altogether or start doing math on your own.
>>
>>7719043
>missing the point
they aren't. the "life skills" that people want to be taught in school ARE taught, they just aren't paying attention / they're too easy and just applications of things they were taught

you're a fucking annoying cunt, no wonder you felt stupid in school
>>
What if I'm in an applied math class like statistics?

To be fair though, I only hear this shit from cs guys . The math guys are cool, the engineers are cool, the chemists are cool.
>>
>>7718586
>Using ideal notation for the imaginary unit.
>>
>>7719272
>still caring about notation
Git abstract
>>
>>7719285
Notation gets pretty abstract, too, Check out cohomology theory where you start integrating things that you have no business integrating, and you're forced to develop ridiculous notational conventions to keep up with the topic.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.