[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

here lads, what ever happened to Lockheed Martin's idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Skunkworks-logo.jpg (100KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Skunkworks-logo.jpg
100KB, 800x600px
here lads, what ever happened to Lockheed Martin's idea for a compact fusion reactor?
>>
>>7715611
big oil killed it
>>
>>7715611

The SL-1 accident happened and the army didn't want anything to do with nuclear reactors anymore. Regardless if Lockheed actually got anywhere, it would likely be kept secret. The only people who could possibly afford a compact (ie can fit inside an intermodal container) nuclear reactor is the military.

>>7715614

"Big oil" had nothing to do with it. The oil lobby doesn't give a shit about compact reactors given that it won't effect their business. Utility companies (who buy oil and NG for power plants) have no use for a *compact* reactor, whilst said compact reactor is still too expensive for consumers (and would also face a huge slew of legal challenges if individuals were to start installing them in their homes and cars).

The nuclear industry itself is more to blame for it's current state, because they're entirely focused on serving the US Navy as a defense contractor.
>>
>>7715614
fuck off
>>7715624
you have no idea what youre talking about

OP nothing happened to it, shit doesnt just work over night
>>
its still being made

dont listen to these assholes

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/08/lockheed-martin-compact-fusion-reactor.html
>>
>>7715627
>>7715628

Is this reactor > Wendelstein?
>>
>>7715640
there isnt sufficient information about it. but its essentially a modified magnetic mirror configuration with cusped magnetic geometry. they use magnetic systems internal to the plasma chamber tho, which i think is a mistake. theyre totally different concepts, with w7x being a large toroidal system with closed magnetic geometry and lockheeds being a compact linear device with open magnetic geometry. its apples and oranges
>>
>>7715642
theres a pretty extensive presentation in that link by the PI on the project, the most detail we have about it yet, and a lot of it is new
>>
File: LrpEfkq.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
LrpEfkq.gif
1MB, 400x400px
>>7715642

sounds like w7x has fewer construction problems tho

mrw half a year ago I thought there can only be one way to construct a fusion reactor
>>
>>7715654
>sounds like w7x has fewer construction problems tho
how? what problems with constructing theyre small system has skunkworks encountered? its a much smaller and simpler system.
>>
Forever 50 years away...
>>
>>7715654
Are you kidding? There's something like a dozen research efforts, some public, some private, right now - all pursuing totally different fusion reactor designs. ITER, the NIF, and now W-7X are just the mainstreammost tip of the iceberg.

Tri Alpha Energy's colliding-plasmoid field reversed configuration reactor looks most promising right now of the private-sector efforts; Lockheed's claims are so audacious and seemingly overconfident (they haven't even reached breakeven and they think they'll have a working reactor by 2017?) that few believe they'll actually pull it off.
>>
>>7715675
It's dropping asymptotically. It's down to 10 or 20 years away now, indicating that the number of remaining technical difficulties has actually dropped.

In another 20 years, it might be 5-10 years away, and in thirty we might actually have it.

Seriously, though, the number and diversity of concepts being seriously pursued right now, and the research base of all the different known ways plasma can misbehave, means that right now the chance that viable fusion will actually be developed is higher than ever.
>>
File: 1446802317158.jpg (160KB, 734x960px) Image search: [Google]
1446802317158.jpg
160KB, 734x960px
Any of you an electrical engineer?

Anyone work in a Steel mill?

I have a project for you.......

Respond to this post if interested with a way to contact you.
>>
File: 9.gif (114KB, 891x707px) Image search: [Google]
9.gif
114KB, 891x707px
>>7715707
Woops wrong picture.
>>
File: 1449311868077.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449311868077.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>7715707
>>7715709

When Trump takes office I will be contacting Darpa with some Darpa hard problems.

Obama Hillary and Sanders all would like to see me dead. (worst case scenario I am a few steps more prepared and can force Trump into the White house but I am sure good upstanding Americans are making sure he has a Fair Shot )
>>
File: 1449310150593.jpg (151KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
1449310150593.jpg
151KB, 700x467px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars
>>
>>7715611
It will bullshit then, it is still bullshit now. Difference is the dates they say it would work approach.
>>
>>7715642
You're absolutely right, as soon as the fusion reaction gets going, those super-conducting magnets will be bombarded by high energy electrons. This will heat up the coil, causing it to lose it's superconductivity.

To prevent this in ITER, they use a 60cm layer of cooling fluid in between the magnets and the plasma chaimber. The lockheed martin device doesn't have any such protection, which makes their design very questionable. I think lockheed martin should keep doing what it knows best, this fusion thing probably isn't going to work out.
>>
>>7715773
>those super-conducting magnets will be bombarded by high energy electrons
its not the electrons but the neutrons, and to a lesser extent the gammas. and its not only an issue of heating but material damage like void induced swelling and radiation hardening and embrittlement
>>
>>7715611
>Skunkworks
More like Kekworks ayy
>Lockheed Martin
More like Kekheed Maritn lmao
>>
>>7715611
it's more of a PR stunt than a serious effort.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.