[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are your math skills? Can you solve pic related? Or are your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: zombies.jpg (119KB, 2480x3298px) Image search: [Google]
zombies.jpg
119KB, 2480x3298px
How are your math skills? Can you solve pic related? Or are your math skills limited to setting up statics problems and then solving them using a calculator and/or Excel?
>>
>zombies can only spread if two blocks NESW are infected
>outbreak begins diagonally with no touching blocks

so nothing happens

great problem m8
>>
>>7715104

Suppose n = 8

The diagonal
A1, B2, C3, D4, E5, F6, G7, H8 is infected (8 blocks)

Then B1 has adjacent blocks A1 and B2 infected so becomes infected, C2 has adjacent blocks B2 and C3 infected so becomes infected, etc.
>>
>>7715082
No. Consider the case of n=2. Then only 1 block starts out infested and by definition this cannot spread. Consider the case of n=3 then only two blocks can start out infested. If they are diagonal then they fill a 2 by 2 block and stop. If they are on opposite sides of a then they fill that block and stop. So the conjecture is false. Next time word your question better.
>>
>>7715134

Shucks, that's an anti-climatic end.

Can anyone disprove this guy?
>>
>>7715145
He's right. A proof by induction (show that the number of squares in the end is bounded by k^2 where k is the number of starting blocks you use) kills every other case. If you still wanna have fun try that one.
>>
>>7715134

The question asks if it is possible. You showed that it is not possible for n less than or equal to 3.
>>
>>7715134
This also disproves all cases of n because if you can't fill some n by n grid with n-1 zombies then you need at least n. And since the n+1 by n+1 grid contains an n by n grid which requires n zombies just to fill it, you will never fill the rest of the grid since you have 0 zombies left.
>>
>>7715082
Sounds like a low level cs problem
>>
yea
>>
File: zombies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
zombies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
theoretical math is literally for faggots, which must be true by how much dick your problem sucks
>>
>>7715197
>theoretical math
>calling it theoretical math instead of pure math
>this isn't even pure math, just an elementary introduction to discrete math problem

are you 12
>>
>>7715202
>getting this butthurt by superior comp sci for nth time in your life

tell your mom I said thanks for the meatloaf
>>
>>7715197
But the one near the corner can also spread since the condition is met.
>>
>>7715205
if you actually liked CS you wouldn't be calling an elementary discrete math problem "theoretical math" because you would have already taken classes on it.

your shitty drawing only shows you're on your way to being a nice code monkey, not a computer scientist.
>>
File: 1427648848860.jpg (64KB, 432x412px) Image search: [Google]
1427648848860.jpg
64KB, 432x412px
>>7715205
>CS
>superior to math
top kek
>>
>>7715202

They call it theoretical math at MIT
>>
>>7715208
nvm, I read it wrong.
>>
>>7715221
Only in their undergraduate option brochure - which is quite understandable actually! "Pure" math actually sounds pretty autistic and fosters conflict between applied and pure for undergrads who might feel not good enough when going the applied route.

Theoretical vs Applied sounds better balance and less conflictive. Might actually start calling it that.
>>
The real question is.
Given an NxN city, whats the largest number M such that M zombies does not infest the entire city. Further, give a general form for where these M zombies should be placed.
>>
>>7715234
this, family
>>
I'm a finance major with math minor- i revel in the fact that I'm not a real mathematician but instead just fuck around with spreadsheets and R all day.
>>
>>7715082
>On the diagonal of the grid
implying there's only one

trying to get an exact answer from an ambiguous question

please fuck off
>>
>>7715234
That one's not hard either, just fill up the grid except for one row, M = N^2-N
>>
>>7715242
same, isn't it glorious?
>>
>>7715247
but you havent proven that's the largest.
Further, what happens if we add the stipulation that there must be atleast one zombie in every row and collum
>>
>>7715246
>what is rotational symmetry
freshmen pls go
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.