[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does sleeping on your back give you nightmares? There was a thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (26KB, 327x580px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 327x580px
Does sleeping on your back give you nightmares? There was a thread on robotland I was lurking, and everyone there said that they had weird, scary dreams while sleeping on their backs, and this was not the case when sleeping on their sides. I get nice, pleasant dreams and a full sleep when I sleep on my back.

So, is this the result of blood rushing to certain parts of your brain due to position you are sleeping in? Is that even possible? So, if you make babies sleep one way only (they move, obviously, but you still can make them lay down in a different position initially) will different parts of the brain, that are better simulated by blood develop differently? Will this be the same for adults? Is cranial volume a big factor in this, or is the size of your brain (because brains shrink as you age/don't use them)? What is the possibility of such recurring phonomenon (weird dreams while sleeping on back) being integrated in neural circuits after a certain period of time and set repetitions?

All of this assuming the person is healthy, does not have any breathing problems in any position while sleeping and mentally sound.
>>
Ideal position is upside down in fetal position. Its how you developed in the womb so naturally it should be the best position to maintain for periods of sleep & development. (Most blood will go to the brain)

The right question to ask:
How do we fall asleep in an upside down fetal position comfortably?

That right, we build liquidy tanks where we can either breath the liquid/gel or we reattach a synthetic limbal corb to deliver oxygen.
>>
>>7713622
you turn upside down when you are in the womb and about to be birthed. so the ideal position wouldn't be upside down.
>>
>>7713622
Your spine is underdeveloped in the womb, you'll only end up with back pain trying to sleep in a fetal position, you'll have to remove the spine to get true comfort in the tank
>>
File: 1446761495667.png (121KB, 325x282px) Image search: [Google]
1446761495667.png
121KB, 325x282px
>>7713593
>Does sleeping on your back give you nightmares?
>I get nice, pleasant dreams and a full sleep when I sleep on my back.
>continues to spout hypothetical nonsense about how the position you sleep in coulda woulda shoulda affect blood flow and brain development
serious question
what the fuck is wrong with you

you disproved your initial proposition 2 sentences into the post
to add insult to injury your initial "proof" is a bunch of robots claiming they totally only have nightmares when sleeping on the back
yet you continue to ramble about all kinds of baseless assumptions about biological processes, with not a single fact to back any of this up

how do you even rationalize the idea that different sleeping positions make "blood rush to certain parts of the brain" to yourself?
you should roughly know how the blood system works, and from that it should be pretty apparent that unless you sleep standing up or bend yourself in a way that pinches a fucking artery shut there's no way for your brain to magically get more or less blood based on the position you cry yourself into sleep at night
>>
>>7713622
Wouldn't you be floating as a fetus, though? Lack of a proper, heavy skeletal structure combined with a dense medium and really low body movememnt would make it very-low resistance. I think the fetal position would be necessary only for proper development of the spine, which would later be adapted for standing after birth.
>>
>>7713664
What if all this time humans were tadpoles that didnt know how to enter metamorphasis?
[analogy]

What does the limbic cord connect to? We've held onto vestigial structures, maybe for a reason? Maybe we have to tap into them, only reason we dont need them is because we dont need them. In a different world with different predators maybe our vestigial structures would evolve. Why not force them to?
>>
>>7713662
I never implied that what I was experiencing is what everyone else would. If I knew that for a fact, then I would never have asked the question.

Not different sleeping positions, rather the way the head is placed for extended periods of time while sleeping. I don't know if blood does rush to the lowest part of the brain (although I think it should) but that is the only explanation I could provide for the apparent change in dreams while in different positions.
>>
>>7713593
for what it's worth, almost every time I have a sleep paralysis episode, I'm on my back. When I go from dreaming directly to sleep paralysis (the transition of which is one of the scariest god damn things on the planet I'd like to add), it is ALWAYS on my back. I try not to fall asleep on my back anymore...
>>
OP you are so fucking retarded.

This board is the dumbest board on 4chan besides /b/. 90% of the threads are dumabasses like you asking extremely retarded questions.

The amount of black hole and what if and spaaaace threads is fucking astonishing. I think about half of this board is underage or Indian because none of you retards can write english well.
>>
>>7713622
Kek
>>
Maybe more blood goes to your occipital lobe which makes your visual senses while sleeping a little more active?
>>
I've suffered from sleep paralysis on and off during times of hardship and stress, and personally sleeping on my back would make it a near certainty it would occur, to the point where I could pretty much induce them on purpose by sleeping that way- still happens plenty now

No idea why though, it's bizarre
>>
I guess that some people sleep more uncomfortably on their back. I don't know if discomfort while sleeping gives you nightmares, but it would sort of make sense. It would be a little harder to move around in your sleep while you are on your back, that might do something.
>>
File: Sleep-Paralysis_Plad-Zebra.jpg (561KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
Sleep-Paralysis_Plad-Zebra.jpg
561KB, 1200x799px
>>7713593
It's typically used by lucid dreamers to induce sleep paralysis, which can happen if you stay laying on your back and unmoving long enough. Sleep paralysis tends to be rather terrifying, and leads to waking hallucinations (conversely responsible for 90% of the BS on /x/). This maybe where they are getting the idea from.

Though lots of people sleep on their back as their natural position with no ill effects.
>>
>>7713593
Sleeping on your back is the only ergonomic position
>>
File: Sleep-Apnea.jpg (40KB, 600x383px) Image search: [Google]
Sleep-Apnea.jpg
40KB, 600x383px
>>7713593
If you have even slight sleep apnea, it'll tend to exacerbate it, causing slight suffocation and shortness of breath, which tends to interrupt sleep in an uncomfortable fashion, and yes, may result in nightmares.

Sleep apnea, to one degree or another, is pretty common, especially among ameri-burgers.

>>7714987
>I think about half of this board is underage or Indian because none of you retards can write english well.
Maybe /sci/ can enlighten the younger generation of asians and teach them to poo in the loo.
>>
>>7713593
No, but in my case it makes sleep paralysis more common, so I tend to sleep on my sides.
>>
>>7713593
Always sleep on my back, never have nightmares.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.