[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Galaxies just don't spiral and move like they do unless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: kic_8462852_large.jpg (375KB, 2000x1355px) Image search: [Google]
kic_8462852_large.jpg
375KB, 2000x1355px
Galaxies just don't spiral and move like they do unless either you add in a shitload of uncounted mass or seriously fuck with the equations for gravity.

Most scientists decided there was 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' which is matter and energy that we cant see and only interacts with other matter gravitationally.

Kardashev scale is a proposed mechanism to measure the development of a technological civilization. A type two people will capture the entire energy output of there star. Now what would this look like to an external observer? You would have the mass of a star still pulling on the bodies around it but you would not see anything.

What if the universe is teaming with intelligent life and we just don't understand what we are looking at.
>>
>>7713401
Shouldn't we be able to detect those by the waste heat?
>>
>>7713403
>implying advanced civilizations would waste heat
not with the heat death approaching, son.
>>
>>7713403
>entire energy output of there star
>waist heat

Pick one.
>>
Reason we wont find more intelligent life because more intelligent life is more intelligent.
-Hey Green alien buddy, whats the meaning of life?
>Ascend to the next dimension bedoo bedoo
-How do I ascend 2 next dimension?
>Kill yourself!
*Alien buddy proceeds to commit mass suicide with green alien buddy race*

We are actually just puppets of higher dimensional beings that may or may not want us to rise up in dimensions as well.
>>
>>7713411
>>7713413
Gotta shed entropy somehow. I suppose you could use black holes, but then you don't really need to capture your star's light output, do you?
>>
>>7713435
The entropy is shed through gravity
>>
>>7713401
Dyson spheres are not possible, they would collide with the star.
>>
>>7713401
>there star

>What if the universe is teaming with intelligent life and we just don't understand what we are looking at.
A bit of advice anon, you're on /sci/. Philosophical inquiry is not allowed. We stick strictly with what can be seen and demonstrated.

You aren't allowed to talk about the nature of human perception. You aren't allowed to talk about our inability to meaningfully define life. You aren't allowed to talk about the perception of other living systems being dependent on scale and relatability (ie, why are we living organisms and the Earth is not, when we're little different), and you're certainly not allowed to postulate that there is anything fundamental about our surroundings that we don't understand.

Break these guidelines and prepare for a rough time full of nothing but shit flinging and endless unsubstantial arguments trying to tear apart your perfectly valid idea. Take it from me, only discuss philosophy in person with people you know well, or in small communities. Don't bother with 4chan. Try to go against the grain and see how long it takes before you get tired and permanently disgusted.
>>
>>7713440
Extremely doubtful. EM is so much easier to make.
>>
File: StandardTori_701.gif (41KB, 508x338px) Image search: [Google]
StandardTori_701.gif
41KB, 508x338px
>>7713401
If you think of how these things work it makes sense if black holes spin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKtevjrZOGs

I'm referring to a spindle torus where black holes are pulling things in from all possible direction and there being a relative field which the black hole is entirely responsible for. If the emission of this gravitational force is spinning, then so is everything caught within that gravitational field.
>>
>>7713401
Black holes explained here. Good theory.
>>
>>7713453
Let him talk, science is about observing and then deducing by thesis and experimentation what we observe.

What would our sun look like if we covered it up? Would anyone be able to find us?
>>
>dark matter and observable matter have the same gravitational effects, guise
>>
Somebody needs to figure this shit out.

Im seriously sick of not knowing whats happening in the universe. I cant trust the current theories which don't account for 95% of the mass of the universe.

It seems right at small scales, but as soon as you get to bigger scales it all breaks down.

Sort your shit out science
>>
>>7713481
>Let him talk, science is about observing and then deducing by thesis and experimentation what we observe.
You should know from my post that I obviously agree.

I don't know. I guess I'm just jaded. Hope the human race refines itself in subsequent generations and completely and mercilessly stomps out anything to condone or spur the shallow ways of evaluating new and differing ideas we see today.

The best thing any of us can hope for is to die as old world relics that in no way still belong. That will either be very bad, or very good.
>>
>>7713401
You are right , most scientist decided to add dark matter ....
They are too afraid that the orginal model is wrong..
So they added the concept of dark matter ...
What if gravity is not the force which holds galaxies togheter?
What if there was another force called electro-magnetism ...
What if there are not dusty clouds But plasma and birkeland currents
What if there are not black holes but Z-pinches?
>>
>>7713481
>What would our sun look like if we covered it up? Would anyone be able to find us?

It would still emit a substantial amount of infrared, because thermodynamics prevents us from harnessing all of the Sun's energy, and so the shell would still heat up from the waste heat. However, it would be very dark in the visible spectrum (duh) - unusually so, for the amount of infrared it was emitting.

Such an object would be pretty clearly identifiable: you search the sky in the visible and infrared spectra, and look for a star that is unusually bright in the latter but very dim or invisible in the former. You could thus detect such a Dyson sphere from a very great distance, if you had a telescope with high enough sensitivity in the infrared range.

You're not the first person to ask this question, or to get this answer. Scientists have already gone on pretty substantial searches for Dyson spheres with this method - the IRAS telescope searched 250,000 sources and came up with only 17 weak or ambiguous cases. There are a couple natural objects that could produce false signals (http://home.fnal.gov/~carrigan/infrared_astronomy/Dyson_sphere_look_alikes.htm), so given the rather lackluster nature of the candidate signals, it's considered more likely that these are the cause.

There have also been searches of nearby galaxies, on the logic that a Dyson-sphere building civilization may also choose to pursue interstellar travel and build spheres around nearby stars as well; these would produce "Dyson-Annis voids", large dark patches where many stars had been covered up. Searches of 100,000 nearby galaxies have also turned up negative.
>>
>>7713441
How? Wouldn't the solar wind exert enough pressure in a fully enclosed envelop to keep the star generally centered?
>>
>>7714025
What about entirely enclosed galaxies? And what about camouflage? Maybe a sufficiently advanced civilization doesn't want their glorious empire to be visible to dirty ground based telescopes.
>>
>>7714030
>Entirely enclosed galaxies

Same deal - they'd be a really big infrared source that is very dim or invisible in visible light.

>And what about camouflage?

It's certainly not impossible, but it would be difficult, and necessarily require wasting a large amount of power on additional emissions. (Most of the things that make Dyson sphere candidates less likely involve them emitting too much power in one spectrum or another.)

You could maybe use a very large "shade" to block your emissions in one direction, but it would only shade one direction, and you'd lose a efficiency because you wouldn't be shedding waste heat as effectively.

And, more to the point, none of these would let you match the thermal signature (or lack thereof) of dark matter.
>>
>>7714066
>I can enclose an entire galaxy.
>I somehow can't have the shell of my enclosure look like cosmic background radiation.
Pick 1.
>>
>>7714025
I'm rather surprised that there was a search as extensive as this for one specific type of megastructure that could maybe possibly be built by an extraterrestrial civilization. I feel tha the entire reasoning behind the theory of Dyson spheres runs into a tripwire right at the start in that it assumes intelligent beings that went through a completely different evolutionary process - possibly right down from radically divergent biochemistry - would inevitably come to the same conclusions as us about the direction their civilization ought to take. The idea is also very much a product of the time in which it was conceived. Through the lenses of our times I'd venture that it would be far more likely for a very advanced civilization to downscale rather than upscale.
>>
What happens to a body's gravitational field when that body is converted directly into electromagnetic radiation?
>>
>there could be a bunch of ayy lmaos right now blowing galaxies around and laughing as we try to explain it
>>
>>7713453
>You aren't allowed to talk about
Welcome to the 4chins, friend.
What few rules there are aren't made up by users like me or you.
>>
>>7714706
Reading comprehension.
>>
>>7713401
If there was an orb around the star, we'd see it as it passed in front of other bright things.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.