[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think is ok that some students fail science and engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: TI-68.jpg (314KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
TI-68.jpg
314KB, 1200x1800px
Do you think is ok that some students fail science and engineering courses just because the made some algebra or arithmethic mistake on some test and teachers doesn't care to check if they understand the concepts just follow recipes and follow procedures?
>>
>>7713040
>Do you think is ok that some students fail science and engineering courses

Yes. Scientists and engineers need to calculate values.

For mathematics, no. You should never be allowed to use a calculator in the first place and if you make a sign error or whatever you go back and fix it.
>>
If you make a king armor under false assumptions that it'll solve the arrow problem when it doesn't, the king will fucking kill you.

"Oh yes, I got it right." No you didn't.

Dead blacksmith.
>>
>>7713068
>You should never be allowed to use a calculator in the first place.

I'm talking about university math, not your high school problems.
>>
File: Cotton.jpg (6KB, 182x171px) Image search: [Google]
Cotton.jpg
6KB, 182x171px
Theres a difference from transcribing a sign wrongly from one line to another and making a division error when simplifying an equation. Especially if your error leads you to a value which is logically incorrect or unit wise incorrect. If you get to a point and dont check if your final equation gives you a reasonable answer, then you done fucked up and deserve the failing grade.

or you know, tldr, Harden the fuck up and stop being a bitch. You fucked up try again next time and then dont fuck up.
>>
>>7713100
I think isn't fair that a guy failed a course because they calculator doesn't support matrix operations and other people pass the course because they can afford a calculator that even makes symbolic algebra.
>>
>>7713098
what university math courses have you taken that allow a calculator?
>>
>>7713098
I am in my second year as a math major and I have never required a calculator for an exam. Math really mostly is not about numbers.
>>
>>7713105
Discuss it with your professor. They might have a spare. Regardless, learn how to do it by hand. Knowing for a semester you are incapable of doing a problem in a test environment and doing nothing about it screams that you have no interest in actually succeeding and just want an easy excuse for your failure.
>>
>>7713112
>find the roots of x^4 + 2x2 - 3000 at hand
>find the matrix inverse of [.017 .2441 .256; .457 .211 .554; .55125] at hand
when you have just an hour for complete the test and these are just some operation you have to do.
>>
>>7713135
lol what class is that

i don't remember a calculator helping for linear algebra and calc 3 we didn't intro to proofs we didn't and odes we probs did for finding homogeneous equation
>>
>>7713135
>2015
>being an idiot
>not inverting matrices in your head

how's it feel being retarded?
>>
>>7713068
>You should never be allowed to use a calculator in the first place

You motherfucker do you have any idea how long motherfucking long division takes?
>>
>>7713138
applied control systems
>>
>>7713185

>applied

Well that's ur problem anon.
>>
>>7713100
>Theres a difference from transcribing a sign wrongly from one line to another
<tfw dyslexic and make transcription errors constantly on chem test
>>
File: 16's head.png (903KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
16's head.png
903KB, 640x480px
>>7714326
><tfw
>>
>>7713105
You mean a 13 dollar ti83?
Also: you can usually write programs to do these yourself.
>>
Most professors I have come across in my chemical engineering faculty don't penalize to hard for a mistake like droping a - or if you wrote the expression you wanted to solve for correctly on your test but you fuck up entering it in the calculator.

As for university classes not needing calculators, it depends on the class and how the proffer sets up questions. On my last final I did ( process control) i needed to iterate for a bunch of different values through out the exam, not exactly possible by hand given the fucked up non linear equations you come across in Chem E.

Also OP, think if logically this answer / units make sense like mentioned earlier.
>>
>>7715549

Where do you get a TI-83 for 13 dollars? TI 86 is $17 on Amazon
>>
>>7713068
>>7713112

When you get to a certain point, its implied that you are a master at doing basic arithmetic and algebra, and the advanced concepts are the focal point, so its a waste of time to work through all that by hand when you could be learning more advanced concepts.

Please try finding the determinant of a 6x6 matrix by hand, faggot.
>>
File: read a book nigger.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
read a book nigger.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.
>>
First of all it is recommended that you get a graphical calculator like the Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX, so that you wont make mistakes, because with basic calculators mistakes are often made for they aren't so advanced. And everyone makes mistakes, but in research mistakes shouldn't be made because one small mistake can change everything, but it happens sometimes i think, but not very often, but you should double check the answer so that there is not a mistake and that's how you don't make mistakes. The most common mistake is that you do something once but don't check so always check
>>
Tbh if you need a calculator for exams you're going to a shit tier uni.

Physics here btw
>>
If a student has demonstrated the correct problem solving process, but has a botched numerical answer due to an arithmetic error then who gives a shit. If they're doing something clearly retarded and have no idea what they're doing, then into the trash it goes.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.