[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When can I call myself a mathematician? I'm almost done

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_l6jys6otWs1qzoizh.jpg (70KB, 339x428px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l6jys6otWs1qzoizh.jpg
70KB, 339x428px
When can I call myself a mathematician?

I'm almost done with my bachelors in math
>>
>>7711593
when you get your phd

in general, only phds are called scientist,physicist,mathematician, etc...
>>
When I hear the term, it means to me that you are working in the field or actively doing research. It's a description of what you do. Call yourself an artist if you do art. Call yourself a computer programmer if you program computers. Call yourself a mathematician if you do math.

Being a math student doesn't qualify in itself. There's a term for that.

I don't think you need to have a PhD or be a professor or anything like that. There are amateur mathematicians who make significant contributions.
>>
>>7711593
When you actually contribute something great to the field. Until then, you are just a hobbyist.
>>
As long as you actively do math you can call yourself a mathematician, but spoiler alert, if you go around calling yourself a mathematician and theres a ton of basic shit you dont know, you're gonna get laughed at.
>>
>>7711599
>amateur mathematicians who make significant contributions.
do you know of any?
not to be rude just wondering, i really cant think of any modern mathematicans who have made contributions to math without a degree in it...but i dont know many mathematicians
>>
Pick a math problem nobody has solved and solve it. Then you can definitely call yourself mathematician.
>>
>>7711593
When you understand what numbers are instead of just knowing how to write some of them down. Congratulations on the bachelors, btw
>>
>>7711785
Usually you already do this for your Bachelor thesis.
>>
>>7711593
When you are EMPLOYED as a mathematician.

This this not include bullshit finance jobs and it does not include high-school teachers etc.

If you aren't teaching at a math department or your job title doesn't say mathematician then don't fucking call yourself one you pretentious fuckhole.
>>
File: sci.jpg (198KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
sci.jpg
198KB, 3000x1688px
>>7712313
>>
>>7712317
Thanks, High School Junior who wants to go to MIT.
>>
>>7711593
Femanon with a PhD in math here. I started calling myself a mathematician in high school already, before I went to university. Don't give a shit what some autists on /sci/ say. If you think like a mathematician, you can call yourself a mathematician.
>>
>>7712347
Don't listen to btw im a grill. You don't call yourself a car mechanic until you are employed as a car mechanic.
>>
When your IQ is high enough to learn all of math.
>>
>>7712347
Male anon with a clean criminal record here. I called myself a rapist before I raped you.
>>
>>7711593
YOU don't.
>>
>>7712381
To be fair, she also called you a rapist before you raped anyone.
>>
>>7711593
How do you understand math? I can visualize gears turning when a mechanism is described, you know, mechanical aspects and whatnot. I can "see" it in my mind's eye, but I can't see math. Like, "2+2", I don't visualize anything, it's just an abstract notion to me. Trig and calculus is a real struggle. How do I visualize math?
>>
>>7712381
Wow dude, did you just say "rape" on le 4chan? You're clearly too edgy for this place. I suggest going back to reddit.
>>
>>7712415
Trig and calculus are completely geometric. Your textbook and lectures should be riddled with pictures.
>>
>>7712415
Shapes and patterns.
>>
>>7711753
I'm not that guy but I don't think when he said amateur he meant people with a degree. That is impossible. Amateur mathematicians are people that simply do not have a PhD or are not affiliated with any research university but still publish papers on their own.

The guy who solved the poincaré conjecture would be one of them. He is not "professional" because he does not earn a living doing mathematics. He does it for fun I guess.
>>
I say I'm a geometer or a topologist.

>>7712347
Please marry me. I will teach you the joy of sets.
>>
>>7712347
why is it important you are femanon at all? i dont understand

I also think you are incorrect. You can't call yourself a doctor or an engineer before you are a doctor or an engineer. Why do you think Mathematicians are different?
>>
>>7711595
Ph.D. and you're a doctor. If you work in a field, you are a member of that field. So if you work in an engineering field, you are an engineer. If you work in chemistry, you are a chemist/scientist, etc.
>>
File: femanon.jpg (22KB, 480x375px) Image search: [Google]
femanon.jpg
22KB, 480x375px
>>7712347
>>
>>7711593
Once you've gained a masterful proficiency.

On a side note: i before ex except after c? wut

proficiency...anyway I'd call you a mathematician after you've gotten your Master's.
>>
>>7713327
I before e*
>>
>>7712361
Last universalist was Poincare. No1 has enough time.
>>
>>7713304
You fucking faggots. Jelly cause the grill's a Math Ph.D?
>>
>>7712415
As far as trig is concerned, imagine a vector of length 1 at some angle to the positive x axis. The cos and sin functions really just give you, provided some angle, the magnitude of the vector going in the x direction, and the magnitude in the y direction respectively. That's why cos(0) is 1; the entire magnitude of the vector is in the x direction. When you have a vector larger than 1, you simply multiply it's magnitude by the ratio given by the trig function.
>>
>>7711593
>>When can I call myself a high school teacher?
FTFY
>>
when you get paid for doing "math" you are a mathematician
>>
>>7713335
I thought it was Hilbert. What about Neumann?
>>
>>7712347
>math
How are you going to get a career out of this. Almost as bad as arts degree in this femanon's opinion.
>>
When you actually contribute something.
>>
Do I become a writer when I get a degree in it? You become a mathematician when you start contributing original mathematics for a living, just like any other career.
>>
>>7713255
Because he's a troll you fucking autist.
>>
>>7712495
Perelman? Definitely not a hobbyist. He studied math, even has a doctorate. His mother was a mathematician herself.
>>
>>7713443
Please, go to /b, post tits, and GTFO
>>
>>7711593
>When can I call myself a mathematician?

When fewer than a dozen people understand what you're working on.
>>
When u have a PH.d Anon!. Im close to getting my master's but I'm not considered a mathematician (yet).
>>
>>7714128

Perelman was also an associate professor at Berkeley before dropping out cuz he thought they were shitheads.
>>
You can't. Your degree means nothing. It's your work and your work alone that makes you a mathematician.

Have you done any math? Once you do, then you're a mathematician.
>>
>>7714252
...no he had a fellowship for two years which he completed
>>
>>7712415

trig is very easy to visualise if you understand your unit circle

i've depended on visualisation a lot to pass my tests, and its done nothing but worry me because i know i won't have the same luxury when i begin to study physics
>>
>>7711595
retarded answer

>>7711599
right answer
>>
>>7714339
>assuming OP wanted to be part of a subset of mathematicians

If he wanted to be an amateur mathematician, he would have said that specifically.

Amateur as opposed to what? Professional? What do you need for that?
A fucking doctoral degree.
>>
>>7711593
I don't know mang but when I graduate the title I get is "License of Mathematics" so I would legally be a licensed mathematicians.

If after that I get a job strongly related to mathematics, including shit like statistician, if someone asks me what I do for a living I will say that I am a Mathematician without hesitating.
>>
>>7714355
keep thinking that school kek.
>>
>>7711593
You can call yourself anything you want baby.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.