[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone have an incredibly high IQ? I'm not asking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

File: iq_meme.gif (10KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
iq_meme.gif
10KB, 400x263px
Why does everyone have an incredibly high IQ? I'm not asking "Why is everyone incredibly smart?" but why everyone has a genius level IQ these days. Are we all just good at solving problems?
Here's a passage from a paper I was reviewing today: " I could list the great minds through the ages that had depression or anxiety and were greatly successful, but that doesn’t really make my point. The point is that someone like me, with severe depression, anxiety, and mood disorder, who also happens to (and perhaps as a result of the way my mind functions differently) have an IQ of 142 which is in the 99.7th percentile—the exact opposite of a disorder affecting cognition."
This fucking "IQ genius" can't even talk about their IQ without making a grammatically incorrect sentence.
>>
>>7708112
IQ is overrated
>>
>why everyone has a genius level IQ these days
Because nobody brags about having an IQ of 75.
>>
Self-selection
The only people who talk about IQ are those with high IQ
Nobody with sub 110 IQ wants to out themselves as having such
>>
>>7708158
this
also many people might have taken shitty IQ tests and they brag about their inflated results
>>
>>7708158
>>7708164
I agree that happens, but I know the person who wrote the quote in my original post was evaluated by a psychologist, so it was somewhat legitimate.
The person is clearly stupid though, from how much I work with her.
>>
>>7708112

Why do people keep posting this thing about Uncle Albert? He refused many times to take intelligence tests.
>>
>>7708112
IQ tests aren't valid measures for intelligence. They are valid for what a group of people agreed upon of what intelligence entails. Also, Einstein never took an IQ test.
>>
>>7708196
Well, they don't directly measure intelligence, but they are correlated with it.

Although there are many types of intelligence, it turns out that people who are good at one intellectual task are more likely to be good at others, and people who do poorly are more likely to do poorly on others. So you can construct a somewhat imaginary statistical "general factor of intelligence", g, which describes the general tendency to do well on various intellectual tasks that correlate with it to varying degrees.

Because different kinds of intelligence all more or less correlate, you can test just one aspect of intelligence with an IQ test, and thus acquire a number that at least correlates with g, though not perfectly.
>>
>>7708227
But are the current "legitimate" intelligence tests sufficiently poor to generate a high ratio of people who do well on the test and poorly on most other tasks to those for whom the test is more or less accurate?
The person I gave in my original post is a good single example of a type of person who does well on the test but poorly in most other ways, and it's my impression that many of these people exist.
>>
>>7708242
Actually, IQ tests have a very high correlation with g: Raven's matrices, those "what shape goes in the missing space to complete the pattern" puzzles, have an 80% correlation with g. It's just that, because intellectual skills don't all perfectly correlate with each other, g differences only account for 50%ish of individual variation on various tasks.
>>
>>7708112
>Einstein's IQ
Is this the worst meme of all?
>>
My IQ was 139 placing me in the top 99.9% for reading and the top 99.8% for mathematics. Haha OP.
>>
>>7708158
I doubt they'd even be aware that they had an IQ < 110.
>>
>>7708268
Here's another passage of their paper you might like: "Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Edgar Allen Poe, Da Vinci, and Van Gogh; all geniuses in their own rite that changed the face of human history. They are also all believed to have suffered from depression or mood disorders."

In that last line, replace "depression or mood disorders" with Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, or anything else and you have your meme.
>>
>>7708278

Haha! Same here! I took an online IQ test and got a score of 128! Worst of all, I'm going into fucking architecture! Hahahaha! Get rekt low IQ fags.
>>
>>7708289
Mine was administered by a Psychologist in 2002 faggot.
>>
>>7708288
Plausible their physiologies were sub par to their 'intellects.' Exercise releasing psycho-healthy endorphins, my guess is that they suffered fom debilitative neurochemical imbalances.
>>
>>7708112
I'll bet most of those people took a free online IQ test that afterward tried to rope them into some "intelligence increasing" program for 10.99 a month or whatever. The point is, everyone has a high IQ because some random source online told them so after they took the same test 4 times to get their genius status.
>>
>>7708289
I had 120 in fifth grade. The test was administered by the school. Still feel proud?
>>
>>7708112
Because you hand out on /sci/ with all the people who could have done well in school but found it painfully understimulating.
>>
>>7708112
Never taken an IQ test, feel like I'm in the 85-100 range though.
>>
>>7708284
Having an IQ below 110 does not mean being a retard. Most people are below 110.
>>
I was tested at 112 at 8 years old but I was an IMO contestant
>>
>check image
>85-100 is average
>100-115 is above average

Holy shit I'm so triggered. Do you not understand a bell curve?
>>
>>7708158
or everyone just fucking lies because its the internet
>>
>>7708547
most people are retards though
>>
>his iq is sub 140

I wish there was a way to stop iqlets from posting.
>>
>get pulled aside during middle school
>huge douche in math cause I already knew everything
>counselor selected me for a IQ test
>take IQ test with squares and circles with patterns and shit
>finish IQ quiz
>never hear back from counselor

Am I retarded?
Also I got into the gifted program and the gifted program teacher asked me to come to a class room to get me set up but I forgot the date and time and never went.
>>
Only on 4chan does everyone have a 140 IQ and a 7 inch penis. Oh, we're also over 6'2", are doing Masters or higher in STEM fields, and drive expensive cars.
>>
>>7708891
You got into the gifted program? How can you be retarded?
>>
File: 1431552760423.jpg (230KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
1431552760423.jpg
230KB, 2197x1463px
>>7708891
>take some sort of intelligence test in middle school
>tries to pass itself off as a game or some shit
>one of the sections tests memory
>I get the first few right, even as the patterns I'm supposed to remember get really long
>wonder if maybe it doesnt actually tell me when Im wrong
>input random shit
>still not getting any feedback
>do this for like 10 minutes, flying through everything
>eventually it tells me I'd answered a question wrong and locks me out
>mfw it put me in the top 0.01% of people for memory

IQ tests are bullshit, be glad you didnt get your results back and have your perception of yourself tainted by a meaningless test.
>>
>>7708912
Yeah ik but the one I took was legit, would have been nice to know what I got :( Took like a hour or more I was so freaking bored
>>7708908
idk dude I was just good at the quadratic equation or something and they thought I was smart. idk man, I feel retarded.
>>
>tfw smart but lazy
>>
>>7708112
I once took an online IQ test in HS and scored 80.
>>
>>7708929
>am landmine
>best landmine
>but no one comes near

you are as useless as the landmine
>>
>>7708112
You can't learn much without records to learn from, and the world is much more full of records these days than it used to be.
>>
>>7708923
I took a legit one when I was much younger, it really isnt something you want to know. If its high you feel like youre wasting youre potential, if its low you feel inadequate. The best thing is to either not know or not care. 145 here btw :)
>>
File: 1449214039275.jpg (29KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
1449214039275.jpg
29KB, 500x318px
I was gonna make a seperate thread for this but seeing as there's ALWAYS an IQ thread on /sci/, I want to ask.

Is it possible to still be highly intelligent despite functioning average to poorly on IQ tests and such?
>>
>>7708945
absolutely not.
>>
>>7708174
congo tier
>>
>>7708945
it's technically possible, but highly unlikely.
>>
as high as your iqs are there no wear near mine
MAX_INT iq checking in
>>
>>7708112
We create our own grammar on the fly. Only retards follow anachronistic rules.
>>
File: 1437468068307.jpg (11KB, 221x319px) Image search: [Google]
1437468068307.jpg
11KB, 221x319px
I never took an official IQ test, is it a bad thing to score between 105 to 115 on online IQ tests?
>>
>>7708985
online iq tests are pretty much worthless in every way.
>>
>>7708985
Depends on the IQ test. I wouldn't put too much faith in it.
>>
>>7708112

They don't.

I'm really not sure what you want to know.
>>
are there ANY IQ tests online that are free and not COMPLETE shit?
i just took one and it was retardedly easy and i feel duped
>>
>>7709130
dude just go to a major university and pay $100 and get a real test. it's far more accurate, for what it's worth. I was tested when I was 12 and at 126. it's probably gone down since due to drugs in high school and such but it's a lot less bullshit than the online ones and a real IQ test is around 300 questions with several written answer segments
>>
Im only 118 and Im feel good about being honest.
>>
File: 1445729478507.jpg (104KB, 1385x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1445729478507.jpg
104KB, 1385x1204px
>le measuring iq after people are dead meme

when will this shit die? Feynman scored 120, niggas need to stop trying to validate a shitty test that doesn't actually measure anything.
>>
>>7709185
120 isn't bad
>>
I love people discussing their abnormally high IQ's and they don't even understand basic statistics.
>>
>>7709185
Does Feynman prove the value of intuition in hard science?
>>
i can always tell that a man isnt worth listening to if he values the idea of an 'IQ'
>>
>>7709276
it really is. anyone under 140 should end themselves.
>>
>>7709340
>Iq matters
Kill yourself my man.
>>
>>7709286
well technically someone could have scored high on an IQ test and never have been introduced to statistics at all
>>
>>7709302
why would he need to, kant already did that
>>
>>7708934
I wish someone would come by and step on me so that I could just die with some sort of purpose.
>>
IQ tests do not measure intelligence.

They measure how well one answers questions on a test. The questions themselves (and the way that questions are weighted) are arbitrarily chosen at the whim of the random, nameless psychologists who created the test.

As Stephen Hawking said:
I don't know [my IQ]. People who boast about their IQ are losers.
>>
>>7708112
PLEASE UNDERSTAND

IQ MEANS ***INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT***

IT'S A FIGURE BASED ON THE TESTED OR REPORTED INTELLIGENCE OF PEOPLE IN YOUR AGE RANGE

I was a pretty spergy kid in elementary school, and apparently smart for the time. Got a 140 and that didn't exactly help my overblown autismo ego.

But now, since I'm measured against adults, it's significantly lower. In case it's not implied clearly enough, I have gotten significantly smarter since age ten.
>>
File: IQ 25-10-2015.png (237KB, 1401x930px) Image search: [Google]
IQ 25-10-2015.png
237KB, 1401x930px
Post em boys
>>
>>7709552

'iq' and inteligence' are concepts, they have no claim to authority other than through the faculties of pure reason

that being said iq tests aren't chosen at random, but are systematized, and follow universal principles agreed upon by all psychologists, otherwise they would be completely subjective

the problem is, even this 'agreed upon universal principle' that is employed by psychologists, and other natural philosophers, is a concept per se, a fiction, and by no means follows from experience, but from the pure operations of though itself, ie pure reason, ie from the 'synthetic a priori', from 'mythology'
>>
>>7709652
https://www.raventest.net/
this gave me one hundred sixty.
Im now convinced its bullshit.
>>
>>7709690
Wait.
No.
I mistook the sample test for my actual report.
But the tab name says the result was above 140.
Which, after being so retarded as that, gives me more reason to think its bullshit.
>>
>>7708902
>Only on 4chan does everyone have a 140 IQ and a 7 inch penis. Oh, we're also over 6'2", are doing Masters or higher in STEM fields, and drive expensive cars.

>141 iq
>7 inch dick
>6'0"
>Computer Science major
>...
>shitty truck

Whew narrowly avoided that one
>>
>>7709340
So you scored 140-149. If you had scored 130-139 you wouldve said that anyone under 130 should end themselves.
>>
But my IQ is in the 90s.
>>
>IQ doesnt matter

worst meme
>>
>>7709340
I really doubt you will accomplish half of what Feynman did.
>>
>>7709345
Dont be mean to them, various flavors of 'IM SO SMART' are the only ways they can feel like they arent worthless unlikeable autists.
>>
>>7708902
7 inch dick reporting in, I think I've posted in a dick thread, but I don't meet any of the other criteria. It's just sampling bias you retarded faggot
>>
IQ tests are a shitty way of measuring intelligence anyway, they lump too many different types of intelligence into one test. Took one once, scored 150 on numerical reasoning but 90 on verbal reasoning which skewed the entire test. By the way, I have aspergers.
>>
>>7709867
>I have aspergers

that's why

in neurotypical verbal and mathematical abilities correlate

though I wonder if there's "counter-autism", aka people with extremely high verbal intelligence and avg mathematical. as far as I know such condition hasn't been defined
>>
>>7709885
That's because those people are generally successful and have very few problems in life.
>>
>>7709159
126 when 12.. ahhahahaah... im 12 and got 139 on a 14yr old test. ;)
>>
>>7708294
>>7708529
The only funnier thing than people claiming online IQ tests are valid are people who claim their "legitimate" IQ test from 10+ years ago is valid.

IQ = (mental age / actual age) * 100
>>
>>7708877
They aren't. They are mostly lazy, which keeps them from using their full intelectual potential.
>>
>>7709885
I know a girl who has dyscalculia, and she said that she has above par verbal skills. I don't think that's natural though, it's just that she gave up on developing her logic skills by spending time developing her verbal ones.

>>7709916
Not true at all. If anything, logic is better to make one successful in life. People with good verbal skills can only comunicate well, but people with good logic can solve problems and make good decisions, which are things that cause success.
>>
>>7710031
By that logic, healthy adults at age 80 have an IQ of 20
>>
>>7710044
No. If your mental age is the same as you actual age and you divide the former by the latter, than multiply it by 100, you are getting a score of 100 regardless of your age.
>>
>>7708112

>The point is that someone like me, with severe depression, anxiety, and mood disorder, who also happens to (and perhaps as a result of the way my mind functions differently) have an IQ of 142 which is in the 99.7th percentile—the exact opposite of a disorder affecting cognition."
>have and IQ of 142
>IQ of 142

>Anyone actually believing this

And what standardized test did you sit under the supervision of a registered Psychologist anon? Any other test under any other condition doesn't count. I don't see you citing any sources for that claimed IQ of yours. Considering you're claiming to be intellectually superior to all but roughly 10 million people alive today you're going to have to back that up. Needless to say online tests or any that were taken as a child/in highschool DO NOT COUNT. I shouldn't even have to say why if you're such a brilliant mind.

So lets hear it anon, what test(s) did you sit and when. Oh, and if you DID actually sit an officially recognized and administered test, then it will be on file at the Psychologists office. Go get a copy and timestamp it, you can blur our your name of course, but I wanna see that score.

I think you're full of shit desu, prove me wrong.
>>
>>7710044
Healthy normal adults at age 80 have a mental age of 80.

Also you're arguing with the literal definition of "intelligence quotient"

What did you think the quotient part of IQ meant?
>>
>>7708133
very much this

>>7708158
and this

>>7708164
much this, online tests are mostly scams and give people feelgood results to share on facebook. sometimes they even include color-blindness tests because idiots won't have a clue as long as a nice number comes out.

>>7708843
much this, definetly rounding off upwards

>>7708891
they may have told your parents who didn't tell you cause they didn't want you to start bragging about it. I think that's how it went for me cause i got the advise to skip a year after the test.

>>7708985
100 is average, 105-115 is slightly above that.

I also think someone with iq of 80 would be as likely to take a test as they just become factory worker or plumber without going to university and being all
>muh underperforming special snowflake!
so yeah I guess that solves your question
>>
>>7710052
>Here's a passage from a paper I was reviewing today:
>>
>>7708227

>Well, they don't directly measure intelligence, but they are correlated with it.

No, they're correlated with being good at taking an IQ test,not intelligence.
>>
>Why does everyone have an incredibly high IQ?

The average IQ will be 100 no matter how smart or retarded your population is.

Because the IQ is a measure of relative, not absolute, performance.

Further, most people who quote IQ figures don't even mention the standard deviation in the test.

If you took statistics based on shit people say here and elsewhere online you would conclude that the average person is 190cm tall, bench presses 100kg, makes 70k+ per year,has an 18 cm dick and an IQ of 130.
>>
>>7708112
If the majority of people had genius-level IQs, I'd hate to see those in the opposite side of the scale.
>>
File: Cicada_3301_logo.jpg (10KB, 330x200px) Image search: [Google]
Cicada_3301_logo.jpg
10KB, 330x200px
>>7708112
Can you please explain the sentence as,even though I've done light research(also known as bing searching the word cognition),I can not comprehend the sentence,Thanks In Advae,YahWeh
>>
>>7710031
Ah yes, the good ol' mental to actual age ratio IQ:
>Be me, a 19 year old
>Suggested mental age is 47, according to arealme.com
>Formula suggests that I have an IQ of 247

I know for a fact that this isn't true, and I've never been officially tested.
>>
>>7709885
I took the test when I was 14 and got 127 in the verbal scale with an average score in the executive one. I'm still falling for the STEM meme regardless of that.
>>
>>7708112
1. Most people talk about the online IQ test they took.
2. People lie

>>7708133
People with high IQ hardly spend time bragging about it either.

I always find IQ interesting because its test are going down the same road than psychological test - although primarily a tool for a professional to provide a diagnostic of which the test is onlt a small part, people now take them to 'discover themselves', which is by no means less than absurd.
I find its consequences may very negative when used naively - people may use it as a bar to measure themselves and what they are capable of, something of which the IQ test is not a measure when it comes to particulars.
>>
>>7710422
The formula stops applying after ~18 y/o.
That's only useful when it comes to testing kids - and to a certain extent I think it makes sense.
Now, for adults it's simply the average, unrelated to their age - a kid's brain is still in development, while a person in their twenties already has a fully-developed brain. The cognitive abilities do not vary as much from that age by natural means, as they do by the tasks you are set to do with frequency.
>>
File: Psuedoscientists in a nutshell..jpg (11KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
Psuedoscientists in a nutshell..jpg
11KB, 266x190px
>>7710479
Considering that your post on that thread had received a lot of skeptical feedback (especially regarding your semantics on the behavior of the universe, and how it correlates to the potential for world peace), I highly doubt that I can obtain a high IQ by doing charity work.

Plus, you state that I can travel in time through "positive energy". Tell me, why am I not living my life in 2050 right now? I have done community service for several years, and my actions have been recognized by the local institutions and families that I have provided for.

Most importantly, why are you spouting off this theory without any cold, hard mathematical evidence? Einstein didn't just come up with E=mc^2 out of thin air; he used mathematical reasoning within his scientific papers. You posted none of that in your thread. What makes me think I can believe you if you don't verify you hypotheses?

I've just started college relatively recently, and I can tell you that you are more full of shit than a sewage pipe.
>>
>>7708902
6.5!
>>
>>7708902
>Using inferior measurements.
186 here.
>>
>got stoned all throught high school
>did 100s of lsd blotters
>grew my own shrooms
>stayed up all night for many weekends, no sleep, for 10 years due to strong rave habit
>start uni late cuz of party life
>took psychometrics class at 24 years old
>take wais iq test for class participation points
>score 128

stay away from alchy, heroin, meth and coke and you should be fine.

ps 5'10"
pss 5.5" long 6.5" girth
psss $100k+ self employed
pssss no friends, loner, wilderness life

ilikeme.exe
>>
>>7710617
you just fell for the troll

would suck having IQ in the 105 range
>>
>>7710698
>would suck having IQ in the 105 range
I don't see why.
Are you still a teenager by any chance?
>>
>>7710669
>5'10
You've convinced me to stay away from drugs. Nothing is worth becoming a manlet over.
>>
I have 55 IQ, putting me at the bottom of humanity. But even I with everything stacked against me knows that I should not brag about that and instead just point out my grades and degrees.
>>
File: smugfu.png (821KB, 1330x1080px) Image search: [Google]
smugfu.png
821KB, 1330x1080px
>>7708902
>have 7in dick
>6'3
>in Mech Engineering
>have a fine taste in cars and will be on my radar once after I graduate
once I get the iq test I will be complete

now if only I was white lel
>>
>>7710086
>using metric units
well I can definitely guarantee you don't meet the 120 iq minimum we hold here in our secret club, please kindly leave only superhumans are allowed here
>>
File: hgkBXtl1qd8iumo1_1280.jpg (44KB, 720x681px) Image search: [Google]
hgkBXtl1qd8iumo1_1280.jpg
44KB, 720x681px
>>7710960
>not using metric units
American spotted.
>>
>he believes in stuff on the internet
wew lad
>>
>>7710698
I admit that I took the bait, but goddamn something needed to be said about Mr. Universe.
>>
omg u guys im 15 points above average you guys im like albret einstein
>>
It's interesting that the median IQ is 100, which also explains a lot.
>>
>>7708112

For such a high IQ, you don't seem particularly intelligent. Just look at the graph you posted: 50% of the population has a sub 100 IQ, nearly 85% has a sub 115 IQ. The vast bulk of humanity are mouth-breathing morons; no wonder you're depressed.
>>
>>7708289

>128
>power of two result

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this is poor programming.
>>
>>7708112
Being a sadboy makes you smart. I'm probably somewhere around your test IQ as well.
>>
>>7711054
lol mate your reading comprehension skills are weak.
>>
>>7711107

You have been overtaken at a high altitude, friend. :^)
>>
File: IQstats.gif (7KB, 600x236px) Image search: [Google]
IQstats.gif
7KB, 600x236px
>>
>>7708961
>not having std::numeric_limits<unsigned long long>::max() IQ
Why live?
>>
>>7708937
Cool :)
>>
>>7708937
>it really isnt something you want to know. If its high you feel like youre wasting youre potential, if its low you feel inadequate

this desu

measured at top 1%

I haven't done shit nor do I study in a prestigious uni nor am I doing a prestigious degree

I never gave a shit about school, I didn't enjoy it, no teacher gave me any challenges or encouraged me, I made it a game to pass the exams with the least possible work

now I'm left with the question "what if?" which is the most nagging 1st world problem of them all

oh well at least I have over 9000 confirmed shitposts
>>
>>7708961
i can tell you're smart because you can't be fucked to type proper english
fuck that shit
grammar is for queers
>>
>>7708112

>muh iq

For a disorder that supposedley affects self-esteem, depressed people on the internet can get really up themselves
>>
I've only taken two IQ tests in my life. One at the age of 4 (158) and another at 16 (140) yet I consider myself nothing special. People I know go on and on about me being smart but I just have a bunch of Approximative knowledge in tons of subjects. IQ tests are a même. A fat overrated même.

Sorry if there's any errors, I'm typing on a tablet and autocorrect is stupid.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.