[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do when you get stuck on a problem, /sci/? Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: RpRq4TS.jpg (23KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
RpRq4TS.jpg
23KB, 400x351px
What do you do when you get stuck on a problem, /sci/? Do you have a process for moving forward if you hit a wall?
>>
>>7707590
take a 5-10 minute break
don't think about it, don't do other problems
just get up and walk around, listen to music
then get back to it
>>
I let it be and consider other problems. Then later a new try.
>>
Google
>>
>>7707597
>>7707604
>>7707609

ayy

i do one of these three things
>>
>>7707597
This. When it's still not working after a few iterations, I take some amphetamines. Those seem to always help.
>>
I play some really simple game that relaxes my thoughts, but still forces me to think just enough to forget the problem that I was stuck with. Agar.i works pretty well for me usually. Then after I while I come back to the problem and usually see where I was stuck. I use this strategy while coding.
>>
I usually smoke some weed and try to do the problem high. I end up with the right answer most of the time
>>
None here actually tries to talk to other people about it? Sure it is kind of a last resort and we're all fucking spergs, but as a matter of fact I found it to be one of the most effective and most efficient things to do.
>>
>>7707590
Do something else for a while. Take up juggling.
>>
I think out loud about what I am doing. If it doesn't work, then I think about some other problem (there is always more you can do) or take a break/nap.
Talking to people can also help if you are really stuck for a long time.
>>
>>7707590
wolfram
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (47KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
47KB, 800x522px
>>7708081
>tfw no math buddies
>tfw too schizoid to talk to classmates
>tfw /sci/ is the only place where I can discuss problems
>>
File: images.png (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
10KB, 260x194px
>>7708223
google and TA's are your (and my) only friends in uni
>>
>>7708287
Oh yeah, most of the TAs and lecturers are very nice.
>>
>>7707637
amphetamines for me tunnel vision me and block my thinking when I get anxious.
>>
Visualize the fuck out of it and try to approach it from previously unthought of angles.

Formulas, obviously I apply the fucking formulas.
>>
>>7707590
Chegg, boi.
>>
backtrack and see if i missed any cloos
>>
I go for a shit.

I do some of my best thinking while squeezing out a turd or two.
>>
>>7708081
I don't (and I think most people don't) really know people who are both a) interested and b) capable of understanding the problem.
>>
Overcomplicate it immensely. I was stuck on a rotational motion problem in my physics class for like a half an hour so I proceeded to start attacking it with geometric algebra and writing the quantities as bivectors etc.
Well all I ended up doing was wasting another hour and the answer ended up being relatively simple.
>>
Call my sister who is a math major and ask her for help.
>>
>>7707590

Post it on /sci/ with one of those shitty "You should be able to solve this" pictures
>>
>>7708662
Can you pass her number? I have some Derivatives that need multiple applications of the Strokes theorem and I don't think I'll be able to make it out myself.
>>
>>7708703
Sure

(555)-123-4567
>>
>>7708703
STOP BEING STUPID IT'S NOT DIFFICULT
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.