[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people look down on drug use? Aren't drugs good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (224KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 1280x720px
Why do people look down on drug use?

Aren't drugs good for your overall performance? Don't they make you smarter and generally produce no side effects as long as you don't get too hooked or overdose?

Addiction isn't even a disease.

https://julianbuchanan.wordpress.com/blogs-2/
>>
>>7706845
>Why do people look down on drug use?
Societal delusion and a perception of life destroying side effects. While destroying people's lives to prevent this self harm and perceived collateral damage to their families and those around them.....

And all the whole guzzling down caffeine to a point where you can't stop without pounding headaches. How coherent, and certainly not disjointed in any capacity.
>>
>>7706845
Why don't you go shoot up for literally 3 days in a row, just once a day, then get back to me on why it's looked down upon
>>
>>7706852
But I'm talking about moderation though, did you read that link?
>>
>>7706845
What drugs help with school performance OP?
>>
>>7706852
Depending on the drug.

You can't use psychedelics two or three days in a row because they do literally nothing.
>>
>>7706852
Dependency isn't a problem, there are likely tons of people dependent on heroin or alcohol or even cocaine who lead very good lives.

Does no one read links posted in the OP anymore?
>>
>>7706873
Most people aren't able to do it in moderation. It's too easy to get addicted.
>>
>>7707179
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/science/the-rational-choices-of-crack-addicts.html?_r=1&referer=
>>
>>7706924
Not OP but definitely Adderall.
>>
>>7706845
Addiction is a disease you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>7706953

Wrong.
>>
>>7707507
different guy, but a fair amount of psychedelics build up tolerance extremely fast, which also dissapears within a week or so.
Like, lsd for example, even redosing two hours after your first dose will practically do nothing.
>>
>dude drugs LMAO
>>
>>7706852
>shoot up
That's drugs. Then there's "drugs"
Why do people look down on cannabis, psychedelics, empathogens, ...? Because that's what they're told. People who look down on even beneficial drugs rarely have had experience with the drugs or the users.
>>
>>7707506
Please explain to me how addiction is a disease. I am a recovering alcoholic and I will be the first person say that this "disease" nonsense is just that; nonsense. Addiction is a behavior.
>>
>>7706845
>Aren't drugs good for your overall performance? Don't they make you smarter and generally produce no side effects as long as you don't get too hooked or overdose?

No....
>>
>>7707496
I get way bored in class and just fucking sleep. It's really fucking with my results, would adderall help me?
>>
>>7706845
>Aren't drugs good for your overall performance?

no they arent.
short term they can help you very much (power through finals week on amphetamines) but in the long run the negative effects and risks almost always outweigh the short-term gains.
>>
>>7706924
Adderall
Focalin
Ritalin
MDMA in low doses
Cocaine if you dont get addicted
Caffeine is underrated as wel
>>
File: kek.jpg (68KB, 538x328px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
68KB, 538x328px
>>7707852
>Why do people look down on cannabis

because most of us know enough stoners to see its effects, and most of us also know the drugs effects from first-hand and experience with it.
i've smoked weed before, i have friends who regularly smoke. it makes you lazy and dumb. thus i view stoners about as negative as i do alcoholics.

>psychedelics
pic related
>>
>>7708041
speed
>>
>>7708052
That too. But be careful with that one as well.
>>
DUDE DRUGS R GOOD FOR U LMAO!
>>
>>7708065
short term and in moderation they have positive effects. a person an an adderall and a cup of coffee is going to get more done than someone who has had nothing.
>>
>>7708065
>>7708075
yeah, this is scientifically proven and we are in /sci/ so that should matter
>>
>>7708075
>>7708089
Degenerates.
>>
>Consuming anything but food (fruits, vegetables, meats, and wheat), water, and coffee.

It's like you all don't want to live past 60.
>>
>>7708094
Id rather rush to try help bring about the technology to transfer my consciousness than live a long slow life.
>>
>>7708101
um. what
>>
>>7708107
I'm just playin. But what I mean is that I'd rather live as productive a life as possible. Whether I live to old age doesnt concern me at this point in my life. Who knows, I might regret everything 20 years from now.
>>
>>7707977
Yes, while it might not make you more interested in the material, it would make it easier to concentrate on and it's a stimulant so it's pretty hard to fall asleep when you're on it, although more mild stimulants like coffee might be sufficient to keep you awake.
>>
>>7708110
And I'd rather live a long productive life AND be healthy.

I know doing drugs floods your brain with dopamine and then your brain has trouble creating dopamine regularly so you become depressed. It may be pseudo science, but it makes sense if you think about it.

And besides, me and drugs don't exactly... see eye to eye if you get what I mean.
>>
>>7707977
>fall asleep in class
>better take amphetamines :^)

just use caffeine dude
keeps you awake just fine

no need to use hardcore shit like adderall
>>
>>7708116
I don't take them regularly, maybe once a month I will set aside a day to go full autism and work on shit for 20 hours.

As for the depression, I went through a period of 4 years being severely depressed. I had thought i was better and happy for 2 years after that, until I took MDMA for my first time. Although exaggerated it reminded me what it was like to be happy. It really helped me realize I needed to get my life in gear and now I'm actually happy. Drugs definitely have different effects on different people.
>>
>junkies
>rational arguments
top kek, never gets old
>>
>having to take mind altering substances to do what many people do without them
Absolutely plebeian.
>>
>>7708230
>refusing to take substances proven to temporarily increase IQ
literally plebeian, by choice
>>
>>7706852
there are easier and simpler ways to let everyone know you're a fucking moron
>>
>>7708050
>>psychedelics
>pic related
Idiotic meme image. Partly says something about stupid people on psychedelics but let's not assume everyone who takes psychedelics is one.
>smoke. it makes you lazy and dumb
This is something I can't relate with. Opposite effect, really. It's a stimulated, very concentrated, slightly psychedelic state that makes me productive at mathematics (and other) and keeps me up for a long time, also acutely cures any fatigue and nasty bodily symptoms like stomach issues.
I guess this is uncommon, then?
>>
>>7708120
Caffeine can be extremely anxiety inducing for some. Of course amphetamines and other stimulants can be too, but people tolerate different drugs differently.
>>
>>7708819
>It's a stimulated, very concentrated, slightly psychedelic state that makes me productive at mathematics (and other)
Agreed, if I have a sativa strain I get really focused on whatever subject I can find and for some reason I can code a lot faster. However if I get an indica strain I agree with >>7708050
it does make me lazy and dumb I like it better for winding down at night
>>
>>7708145
So you're forgetting all of those influential people in the world who love cocaine and heroin?
>>
It's more to do with morals, what you value, and how you view success - both your own and other's.

It may be good for your overall performance, but the fact that it's looked down upon will devalue the achievement gained through aid of the substance.

Willpower is a lot more impressive than amphetamines.
>>
File: dabo.jpg (20KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
dabo.jpg
20KB, 512x288px
>>
>>7706845
>don't they make you smarter?
You should be euthanized
>>
>>7706845
Because in a society where your value is determined on how much money you make or how popular you are (and some other things) only drugs like caffeine who push you a bit and have only a few side effects are acceptable because the risk is too high when you fuck up.
>>
>>7709943
What makes you think there are no drugs that make you smarter?
>>
>>7706845
Conservatism. People grow up with this boogeyman narrative of how drugs are the ultimate source of evil in this world, when all we need is regulation to get most the bad batches/synthetic shit out of here. The black market will be eviscerated when most of these drugs become legalized.

And these drugs were prohibited for some awfully racist and outright retarded reasons.

"hurrdurr Ching Ching Mao haz opium, he takes mai womenz. hurrdurr Tyronius Tubman got three marijuanas n mai daugta hass a niggerwhite to call me granddad!"

Primitive laws need to be tossed off the roof of an office building in New York City.
>>
>Dont take ritalin
>Drop out
>Take ritalin
>Straight A upper grad

Thanks for trying to keep me away from those harmful drugs :^)
>>
>>7710119
> ruling majority at the moment is actually are grownup guys of 60s-70s
> prohibition is still here
> hurrdurr they just conservatives with their boogeymans drugz aint bad at all lmao
>>
>>7710148
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?
>>
>>7710186
He is, just look at how he writes.
>>
>>7710059
Ritalin, cocaine, nicotine, etc all improve performance for example. Is this a bad thing?
>>
>>7710186
>>7710270
Loving the backup, boys.
>>
>>7711167
Yes.
>>
>>7711167
>is cocaine a bad thing?
junkies can't be more idiotic, i swear
>>
>>7707482
fuck off shill
>>
Drug dependency shouldn't be looked down upon, regarding it as a disease is also incorrect, a rational drugs policy will ultimately reduce the number of addicts and will provide satisfactory facilities to manage people with drug dependency.

Also depends on the drug itself, I've been through Opiate withdrawal numerous times,understanding whats wrong with you is the greatest contributing factor to you getting better alongside knowing what to do next time it happens. Pharmacology 101 courses should be employed in rehab facilities..
>>
>>7711470
>>7711493
But why?

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/14124
>>
>>7708050
What a moronic image.
>>
>>7706845
>Aren't drugs good for your overall performance?
Uppers can be, but most of the drugs used recreationally, especially at the doses frequently taken recreationally, don't really pan out well for legitimate performance enhancement.
>>
>>7711677
Mix opioids and CNS stims and you get the ultimate endurance enhancing cocktail.
Eat a bag of DIX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-IX
>>
baka senpai
>>
i mean, all those guys and gals who do coke and go on having beast sex must be on to something
>>
>>7706845
>Why do people look down on drug use?

Demonization through media and anti-drug campaigns.

I overheard someone describing their extreme fear of accidentally meeting a high person after dark outside. She seemed to have a concept that they were violent zombies or roided up berserkers with no inhibitions.
>>
I think most people buy into that war on drugs propaganda from the last few decades that state that if you even try the tiniest bit of any illegal drug you will immediately become addicted to it and will eventually end up looking for harder drugs and higher doses.

So even if you suggest that some drugs can be used in a moderate fashion, they will immediately think that you are a future-crackhead/criminal etc.

But thats not how addiction works. I think it becomes more and more apparent that addict are usually just fucked up people who turn to drugs because they can't handle life without them, rather than the drugs causing them to fuck up.

There are differences between drugs ofcourse. Some are inherently more addicting, some are risky and there lots that just arent worth it.
But there are also ones which can be used responsibly without any risk of turning you into a crazy methhead
>>
>>7706845
It started because of propaganda. It continues because once drugs were pushed to the outskirts of acceptable society, they were mainly only used by people who were already shitty and then just became shitty as a collective, around the cultural medium of drugs, sitting around and encouraging each other's shittiness. That's why everyone with a ridiculous predisposition against drugs has a thousand reasons to think they're right without ever having actually experienced the thing.
>>
I do drugs to improve my focus and that helps me a lot. I really do not care about these moralist opinions cause I'm really happy this way. I do not spent more money than I can to do this and I do not have any problems with my family.

If I'm addicted? I may be, but idk, I never really tried to stop. I do it for years and I do know my boundaries, never crossed them and I think I would never do that, putting my economic condition, my family or even myself in risk.

It's just about being responsible.
>>
>>7708120
>hardcore shit
>adderall
choose 1
>>
>>7709943
Findings from this research unambiguously demonstrate that the cognition-enhancing effects of psychostimulants involve the preferential elevation of catecholamines in the PFC and the subsequent activation of norepinephrine α2 and dopamine D1 receptors.

At doses that moderately exceed the clinical range, psychostimulants appear to improve PFC-dependent attentional processes at the expense of other PFC-dependent processes (e.g., working memory, response inhibition).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25499957

wew lad
>>
>>7711915
For those of you less inclined to read this study -- optimal dosage for improving cognitive function and working/episodic memory is ~.5mg/kg methylphenidate (Ritalin

10mg ritalin is equivalent to 5mg adderall (although their pharmacodynamic activity does differ)

to use me as an example, 180lbs/81kg

optimal plasma levels (adderall) for me are 20-25mg at any given time
>>
>>7711517
>Pharmacology 101 courses should be employed in rehab facilities..
I was literally just in rehab. The younger opiate addicts know their shit. That would almost be a remedial class for them.

>>7711493
Try some coke once. Just a little bit. It's not sooner crazy demon drug. I can count the number of times I've done it on my fingers. Use, enjoy, suffer through the comedown/hangover the next day, and move on.

Rehab was for a third DUI because I know that'll be asked. My attorney negotiated that as opposed to jail time. Learned my lesson the first time, then got hit for a busted headlight twice. Both times with a BAC slightly over .08. Last one was literally .087.
>>
>>7711990
>Remedial class
kek, you're lucky lot then I'm in the part of the world were rehab centers are basically jail cells
It's slowly changing though.
>>
>>7712009
Same there. You had dipshits that were there because the courts didn't want to waste jail space, you had people trying to get clean, and you had homeless people looking for a warm bed.

Broad spectrum of intelligences in there. I had a great time, all things considered.
>>
>>7707539
This is factually and anecdotally incorrect.
>>
>>7712036
There's so much pseudoscience in this thread... Let's try to ignore it and get an intelligent discussion of pharmacology going.

From what I understand tolerance builds up very quickly for psychedelics. Is this a characteristic of most tryptamines?
>>
>>7712062
It is a characteristic of most psychedelics with some exceptions.
>>
>>7712081
Can you elaborate on the mechanism by which this is the case? You claim that his statement is "factually incorrect", so can you prove it?
>>
Interesting to try, but only that.
>>
Why such hardcore drugs? Why not just use noopept or any other nootropic stack? Noopept was shown to protect brain cells as well as increase performance
>>
>>7712142
Noopept effects cognitive performance to a much lesser degree than classic stimulants. In fact, none of the studies involving noopept have yielded results indicating cognitive enhancement of any statistical significance.

Why such hardcore drugs? Because they have actually been proven to be effective.
>>
>>7711758
>There are differences between drugs ofcourse. Some are inherently more addicting

Then why are there people who constantly use heroin/cocaine/meth/ecstasy to positive effect without any serious consequences? Addiction sounds like a problem for the individual, not a problem caused by drugs.
>>
>>7712093
I haven't claimed that. I don't know of any studies but people who are experienced with psychedelics will tell you that tolerance does build up exponentially with most psychedelics. This includes all classical psychedelics.
There are RC psychedelics with significantly lower tolerance buildup.
>>
>>7712093
Not him but it could be due to the serotonin cycle closing like it does in ecstasy.

Depletion could also play a role though as I understand it classical psychedelics don't deplete it like ecstasy.
>>
>>7708050
Yeah it makes you lazy and hazy and shit, while you are high, but that is part of the fun.

If OP is implying that one should use drugs while they are trying to work or study or whatever, I 100% disagree with that for most drugs (most because there may be some that somehow help). So I agree that being stoned fucks you up if you're like that all the time, but most smokers are not, so who cares?
>>
>>7712275
>Then why are there people who constantly use heroin/cocaine/meth/ecstasy to positive effect without any serious consequences
Who are these people? Do you have a study? Or are you just making it up? Is it just anecdotal evidence? In short, citation needed.
>>
>>7712275
I promise you those who use all of the substances you mentioned have felt serious consequences apart from maybe the occasional high functioning heroin user, even though I am not 100% convinced that those even exist. Cocaine/Meth/Ecstasy are highly neurotoxic especially when used "constantly". Please stop spreading misinformation and promoting the use of shit that is really terrible for your health because you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.
>>
I'm so glad to live in Holland.

>I use drugs
>Other people don't
>most are comfortable with it
>only faggots aren't

It's literally the perfect situation.
>>
>>7712410
>Please stop spreading misinformation and promoting the use of shit that is really terrible for your health because you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about

Have you even read the links in the thread or the thread itself? Most people disagree.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erd%C5%91s

His colleague Alfréd Rényi said, "a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems",[15] and Erdős drank copious quantities. (This quotation is often attributed incorrectly to Erdős,[16] but Erdős himself ascribed it to Rényi.[17]) After 1971 he also took amphetamines, despite the concern of his friends, one of whom (Ron Graham) bet him $500 that he could not stop taking the drug for a month.[18] Erdős won the bet, but complained that during his abstinence, mathematics had been set back by a month: "Before, when I looked at a piece of blank paper my mind was filled with ideas. Now all I see is a blank piece of paper." After he won the bet, he promptly resumed his amphetamine use.
>>
https://youtu.be/ao8L-0nSYzg
>>
>>7712618
Fine, go do your complex amphetamines. Nobody's going to miss you, dipshit.
>>
>>7709510
But amphetamines are cheaper than willpower
>>
>>7712797
I don't even do drugs, but there has been a lot of information about how they can be useful for intellect and productivity depending on how often they're used. Why is this such a bad thing? Most of the negative side effects to "hard drugs" (especially cocaine) strike me as exaggerated or completely overstated.
>>
Drugs can help you be better in many things.
Thing is they certainly do not make you better while you are without them, most commonly the opposite.
And some types of tasks cannot be influenced by drugs.
>>
>>7706845

Because we live in an insane asylum of a society that fails to see how drugged up it already is on artificial speed and sleep deprivation.

The whispers of Nietzsche's Ecco Homo haven't reached the ears of a fraction of people. Matters of diet and nutrition are in the hands of absolute incompetents. Which leads to a misgrowth of everything else!
>>
>>7712093
>>7712276
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15756304
This talks about it a bit with LSD. LSD certainly has a fuckload of tolerance after you dose, with 2C-E I've taken it 2 days in a row with no noticeable tolerance, so there's definitely huge variation.
>>
>>7712840
nigga stop smoking so much weed or bad weed
>>
>>7708116
>It may be pseudo science, but it makes sense if you think about it.
This is why this board is and will always be a shithole.
>>
File: 2qvcw79.jpg (49KB, 926x474px) Image search: [Google]
2qvcw79.jpg
49KB, 926x474px
>>7714452
>>7712276
>>7712093
>>7712081
>>7712062

Picrel chart is fairly accurate with many psychedelics - I know from personal experience.
Of course there are differences in metabolism etc but the rough average always seems to be exponential decay.
There are people who fry themselves every day, but there are people who die from playing Starcraft too much so it's all about how dumb and weak-willed someone is.
And just like with any other dopamine-inducing activity some people get addicted and ruin their life while others benefit from it.
>>
Read this somewhere, Bruce Lee used drug regularly.
He felt, it makes him stronger.
>>
>>7712829
No, the drugs you referenced are not useful for productivity. Just because Paul Erdos did meth doesn't mean it's beneficial for intellect.

The "complex" amphetamine he referenced is meth.
>>
>>>/b/656892611
Help us save her guys. We only have a few hours left
A w
>>
>>7714944
Nowadays there are much better "complex" amphetamines for academic productivity, ones that leave the user fairly neutral, not overly edged, etc.
>>
>>7708041
Pls tell me more about the benefits of using MDMA
>>
>>7715804
Such as?
>>
>>7715881
Adderall?
>>
>>7708819
>I guess this is uncommon, then?
highly so, yes.
it depends a lot on the strain you smoke and on how used you are to smoking, but for most people, cannabis does the exact opposite of making them productive.
>>
>>7711907
its literally amphetamine nigger
>>
>2015
>not microdosing lsd to help find creative and novel solutions to problems.
>>
>>7715881
I don't know/remember what those exotic research chemicals are. Some have been hailed as the perfect nootropic-stimulants.
>>
File: 1433794405587.jpg (654KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1433794405587.jpg
654KB, 1536x2048px
>dad called me a faggot and long haired freak when I was smoking weed
>20 years later he takes more pills than a rave baby, but they are for his health and half of them also harm his health
>he's still against weed

Uhhhh, uhhhhh
>>
>>7708041
Modafinil

>MDMA in low doses
You're a fucking idiot. You shouldn't take MDMA at all more than once every few months. It's literally the worst possible drug you can use often because of its MOA. Relatively safe done responsibly, with horrible consequences when abused
>>
Because people get nervous about things that, even temporarily, alter your brain chemistry/make you hallucinate/alter your behavior/etc.
(Talking recreational use here, Most people don't have issues with legit medical use)
>>
>>7708050
>that pic
Citation needed
>>
So many stupid ass junkies in this thread. Your useless fucking habits are an irresponsible waste of time at best, and dangerous illegal activities fostering crime and lack of safety for those around you at worst.
>>
>>7716791
This poster isn't actually serious and isn't posting what he actually thinks. Please respond to him as such, if at all.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.