[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Study Tips Summary Part of a 10 page series with works cited--bretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

Study Tips Summary

Part of a 10 page series with works cited--bretty interesting brehs
>>
>>7706499

This is pretty much how I study shit I really need to know.

I either stand in front of my white board, and give a lecture to my imaginary class, but usually I've just been making flashcards and using them throughout the semester. Making my time spent cramming almost non-existent.
>>
So they recommend studying different subjects/courses per day. Seems kind of weird to me as when you get started on a homework/project it would make sense to continue until you are done, as you have everything in your short term memory.
>>
>>7706588
I think they want to highlight that utilizing your short-term memory can make you feel like you understand something more than you actually do.
>>
>>7706499
are there any other tips?
>>
It might be a personal touch, but I like to establish what Is needed of me to understand

I'd rather know what I don't know than be unaware of it
>>
>>7706499
Could you link the rest OP?
>>
Bump for more study tips
>>
>>7706499
moar pls
>>
File: g_on_studying.png (802KB, 555x492px) Image search: [Google]
g_on_studying.png
802KB, 555x492px
This isn't scientifically proven, and I still agree explaining is the best study method

However someone might find this useful
>>
Where can I find the rest of it.
>>
>>7706499
ANKI
N
K
I
>>
>>7709704
>High-school
>Fundamental

I don't even...
>>
File: 00252ee8_medium.jpg (14KB, 214x300px) Image search: [Google]
00252ee8_medium.jpg
14KB, 214x300px
>>7706499
You're not going to learn how to study more effectively from a few measly tips posted on a

I recommend pic related, though for a typical STEM student the techniques will be more valuable when you get to graduate school since undergrad is fairly linear if you're in a strict programme.
>>
>>7710133
>You're not going to learn how to study more effectively from a few measly tips posted on a
I was going to fill this in before posting, but I forgot, add [random East Asian identifier] [random activity] [random communication media]
>>
>>7710135
actually, this sort of thing is helpful.
>>
>>7706499
poast moar OP god dammit.
>>
File: 1449403397381.png (293KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1449403397381.png
293KB, 633x758px
I was so motivated at the start of uni this year, made notes for everything, studied hard for the first 2 months and now I'm slacking hard and doing just enough to get by.
>>
>>7710135
Mongolian docking radio?
>>
>>7706499

if you dont do any of those "danger" points youd fail med school. hah

>Medfag
>>
Wait... So I'm not supposed to take notes from my history book? How am I supposed to remember things from the book for the test? (It's multiple choice)
>>
>>7706499
Now are going to office-hours for classes also recommended? I've noticed that when other students other than myself ask questions, its usually something I didn't think about, and so its a case of not knowing something I didn't know. Is there anyway around that? Will practice be sufficient?

Also I recall completely blanking on a test I felt fully confident on, as it was material I had covered in high school. I thought I did a pretty good review the night before and even on my way to the exam room, but I literally could not recall even the most basic things on the subject, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>7710984
If you have a question, do not kukold yourself by remaining ignorant of the answer. If it is more efficient for you to ask your professor, do that. If you can easily look up/figure out the answer using your course materials, do that!
>>
>>7706499
>Dangers
>- Mnemonics are only good for short-term memory
>- actually leads to accelerated forgetting

My anecdotal evidence points to the exact opposite effect. I remember shit that I learned by creating mnemonics for over a decade ago that I normally would've long since forgotten, e.g. the taxonomic hierarchy or the Bradford Hill criteria, and I created and memorized these mnemonics over a very short period of time and maybe used on one exam, then never thought of the subjects again.

>Recommendations
>Self-explanation - explaining some aspect of your mental processing during learning

I think this statement is too ambiguous. I would rather give the advice that you should try to explain whatever it is you're working on to yourself without the direct use of external references. If you can do this, you know that you know the subject. If you can't, you need to study more.

>Practice testing

If your goal is to become really good at taking tests, I agree that practice testing is the best way of going about it.
>>
Quick I need help.

I'm reading my history textbook right now because I have a final on Monday over 4 chapters. What else should I do besides read and take notes, also how do I know what exactly I should right down from the text? I'm trying to outline the chapter, but I feel like I'm writing down not enough stuff. I've never been good at history. Help!
>>
>>7711186
Use your university time machine to live through all of history.
>>
>>7711297
Thanks
>>
Rereading is a problem? Lazy fucking american kids, no wonder asians are owning your fucking butts. 温故而知新, get rekt by confusecious u fuckers
>>
>>7711324
Read the material and write out any recap questions at the end of a section. Look for old tests online to practice on. Try to do them without looking at the answers first. Ask other people who have taken the class about the test. Look for any information the professor has given about the test.
>>
>>7711388
The only information he's given us is that the test my be over these 4 chapters, that's it. I can't wait for this shit to just be over man
>>
File: 1.1.jpg (692KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1.1.jpg
692KB, 1275x1650px
OP here, i saved all these files as PDFs and have to convert them. also boutta go drink to celebrate finals so ill continue posting some later

>>
>>7711396
Read chapters again and review with any chapter summaries in the book.
>>
also, this was provided by a TA, i just thought it was an interesting read. ymmv but its supposedly its all backed by research, he wrote up the summaries which are geared towards studying physics. mnemonics and flash cards are good ways to study for like history but non necessarily physics.
>>
>>7711404
Alright. My test is this coming Monday so should I read a chapter a day until then and then review the morning of before the test? My hope is that the questions will trigger my memory of reading the book so I'll know the answer.
>>
File: 1.2.jpg (453KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1.2.jpg
453KB, 1275x1650px
>>
>>7711409
his advice to me was to read once, do problems/struggle, and then only consult the book when you need to look at something specific. overall is makes studying more efficient
>>
File: 1.3.jpg (376KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1.3.jpg
376KB, 1275x1650px
>>
anyone ever went to lectures of the class you would take the next semester? just to get a head start with none of the stress. I want to try it but never got the chance.
>>
>>7711428
the material for my class was posted online from previous semesters. I studied it over the summer and started day one being 3 weeks ahead of the course by having already done the homeworks and an assignment. It helped significantly and I was able to coast through the class not doing much those first three weeks. people wondered how i knew so much as well. plan to do the same again but start much earlier and be several months ahead for the next class.
>>
I don't understand how some of you can sit down for 3 hours straight and read and do problems.

Help me learn your ways because next semester I'm going to have to do this. Any tips :S
>>
>>7709704
>>start again 3 pages back

This would set me back 3 hours everytime
>>
>>7711417
>>7711411
>>7711398
>>7706499
Post everything bro, maybe it will help me get out of bed and start studying again
>>
>>7710146
why don't you pick yourself back up anon?
>>
>>7710973
That pic is retarded. Annotations are a sign that you are actively reading and the literature backs that up more than one pic on 4chan.
>>
>>7711186
Don't bother with memory devices and crap. Just read through it without scanning. You will remember.
>>
>>7711435
Honestly this is not the best use of your time. It's better to learn something while you access to lecturers and do homework while TAs can guide you and show your mistakes etc.

If you have free time you should use that to do an internship or learn other skills, at the very least relax and do some hobby thing.
>>
>>7711510
Fake it till you make it. Get into the habit of sitting at your desk for a dedicated 6 hours every. For the first 3 weeks or so no Internet. Just read through hard copy textbooks. Even after you start losing concentration and have to reread paragraphs KEEP GOING.

I'm not even autistic, but worked for me, even today I can binge read papers for every working hour in a day when I need to, my colleagues are fascinated with how quickly I can become up to date on a new topic.
>>
>>7711691
>concentration and have to reread paragraphs KEEP GOING.
>have to reread paragraphs

This is the most important.
Fake it till you make it is a shitty phrase in this context.

Rereading paragraphs when you're distracted can be annoying, I feel you need to push through it desu.

Most of the time it feels like I zone out because I feel like giving up on a problem when I've hit a wall not because I'm saturated.

It usually takes a bit of a push to sink me back in the text and go for another round, failing the problem again puts me back at the preparing to quit level.

When you're saturated, you'll know you're saturated, for real, you will KNOW when you've reached your limit, it's a serious kink in your concentration that is impossible to miss.

Else, you can keep pushing through, don't be frustrated by struggles without using your anger to your advantage.

YEAH RUDIN I'M TALKING TO YOU, F**K YOU COCKSUCKER.
>>
>>7706588
It's like eating the same food every day for a week. It gets dull and eventually ends up making you inefficient.

Even though I feel like I'm overwhelmed by stuff to do I still pace myself and try to change the subject I'm studying every two hours. So my days end up being more productive when instead of doing all of my thermodynamics shit for the whole day (8 hrs), I instead go for thermo, analysis, math, and probably write up on an essay (or go eat and do whatever).
>>
H-how is everyone's studying going...

Pls send help ;_;
>>
File: 2.1.jpg (463KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
2.1.jpg
463KB, 1275x1650px
OP here again, commencing dump while being hungover af

>>
File: 2.2.jpg (373KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
2.2.jpg
373KB, 1275x1650px
>>
File: 2.3.jpg (468KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
2.3.jpg
468KB, 1275x1650px
>>
File: 3.1.jpg (483KB, 1193x1160px) Image search: [Google]
3.1.jpg
483KB, 1193x1160px
>>
File: 3.2.jpg (683KB, 1167x1398px) Image search: [Google]
3.2.jpg
683KB, 1167x1398px
>>
>>7711510
i can do 10hr+ in front of computer but cant do 3hr+ straight of studying
>>
>>7712412
can you just upload the pdf somewhere?
>>
>>7712533

the key is to do something every single day, but not for more than 3-4 hours.
>>
>>7706499
This is very true. I remember fondly the introduction of the Sakurai book on electromagnetics, which was "do the problems at the end of each chapter, if you can't do them, then you learned nothing".
>>
File: fsfj.png (48KB, 669x627px) Image search: [Google]
fsfj.png
48KB, 669x627px
>did the dangers
>was able to make it through classes but can barely remember what I learned

What a waste.
>>
Google Image Searching scientific terms and looking for animated pics helps alot imho

the animations get stuck in your head very quick and vivid, just make sure they're not wrong!
>>
How do I get into effective summarization?
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.