[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First of all, I've looked through the sticky guide but didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: help.jpg (26KB, 611x355px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
26KB, 611x355px
First of all, I've looked through the sticky guide but didn't find anything on my question, so sorry if I missed it

I'm interested in learning about modern-day physics, especially the more abstract concepts such as the concept of "information" and quantum theory in general

My current knowledge essentially stops at the Newtonian model, relativity and wikipedia articles about black holes

However, as a CS grad, my math skills are shit tier

Is there any recommended book or resource that explains these concepts without relying too much on higher level mathematics (if such a thing is even possible) while at the same time not going full on retard popsci?

pic related, always makes me feel like an absolute and utter retard because I don't have the slightest idea what it is about
>>
You can't swim yet you're asking to dive in the deep end

>Is there any recommended book or resource that explains these concepts without relying too much on higher level mathematics (if such a thing is even possible) while at the same time not going full on retard popsci?
Dis nigga
>>
>>7706098
Yeah I was worried that that would be the case

Any resources that introduce higher-level mathematics alongside physics as they are needed and appear?

I'm not looking to draw my own conclusions or anything like that, I just want to broaden my horizon on the current standard model and understand a simplified version of it
>>
>>7706087
Penrose's Road to Reality.
>>
>>7706122
>introduces needed mathematics before going into physics

Thanks anon, that's pretty much what I was looking for
>>
>>7706131
Beware it is a long book and covers a ton of material. I am pretty sure it starts off with something like the Pythagorean theorem and by the end of the book it is talking about shit like Sheaf Cohomology.
>>
File: 1437156180548.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1437156180548.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>7706087
>However, as a CS grad, my math skills are shit tier
So you either went to a shit school, or avoided math yourself.
>>
>>7706155
Shit-tier relative to an actual mathematician or (I assume?) physicist

>>7706148
That's pretty much what I was looking for, something that takes me from the basics to modern physics
>>
>>7706087
http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2010/02/14/lets-draw-feynman-diagams/
>>
>>7706158
Well you obviously won't know specific processes or formulae, but you should have good mathematics fundamentals.
>>
>>7706172
Only knowing fundamentals is shit-tier in my book
>>
Go into fundamental physics first. You are trying to escalate a mountain without a rope
>>
>>7706176
Worded my OP poorly, not looking for something that explains the tip of the iceberg while ignoring all the rest, primary concern I had were even basics requiring abstract math concepts I don't know

>>7706122 seems to be the perfect solution
>>
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
>>
>>7706223
That book is a unicorn.
Fundamentals of Physicsby David Halliday, Robert Resnick and Jearl Walker <<< this is the one that got me interested and fascinated.
>>
File: feynman_qed.png (2MB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
feynman_qed.png
2MB, 1124x1600px
>>
i always think i'm smart and then i try feynman and i cry
>>
>>7706450
Surely you read the complete Feynman lectures instead?
>>
>>7706087
The Feynmann Lectures will get you a good bit of the way into QM.
>>
Popsci fag here. Is it true that anti-matter is just regular matter traveling back in time?
>>
>>7706943
p. much
>>
>>7706117
Are you trying to actually rigorously learn this shit on your own? I guess pick up a copy of Griffiths QM and get working.

This is the problem with pop-physics. No one wants to know the everyday stuff (which is just as fascinating and crazy sometimes as QM)
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.