[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /sci/ I can't live at peace not knowing or understanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: wallhaven-97797.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-97797.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
So /sci/

I can't live at peace not knowing or understanding space. I find it scary how we're 99.9% sure that life outside of our solar system exists but we are yet to come across it, or interact with it.
Space is so vast and planets/solar systems are so abundant that even in millions of years we would not be able to explore even the planets within our own galaxy.

Is there any scope whatsoever about intergalactic travel within the next millennium? Are we the most sophisticated life forms in the universe? Do other universes exist? Will we ever travel inside a black hole? Could we master high speed travel and essentially travel into the future of the Earth?

I have so many questions and every night I look up at the night sky and pray that one day I understand who we are and what part we play in grand theatre of the universe and space-time. Maybe one day we will understand this all, maybe even within our life time. I have sleepless nights most the time and even if I do sleep, its nightmares about what exists beyond our atmosphere. I need answers.
>>
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7705580
sorry, what part do you find funny?
>>
>every night I look up at the night sky and pray that one day I understand who we are and what part we play in grand theatre of the universe and space-time.

Pray who? God?
>>
>>7705604
pray being a general term to convey begging to know, i am an atheist
>>
>>7705578
>Is there any scope whatsoever about intergalactic travel within the next millennium?
No. Earth is very likely to see an Extinction level event in that time frame.

>Are we the most sophisticated life forms in the universe?
Probably.

>Do other universes exist?
No. This is it.

>Will we ever travel inside a black hole?
You’ve been watching Interstellar too much…

>Could we master high speed travel and essentially travel into the future of the Earth?
No.

> I need answers.
No you don’t.
>>
>>7705578
Instead of praying or whining, why don't you start reading books and studying? Maybe you could be the one that helps us understand.
>>
>>7705621
Bet you're fun at parties
>>
>>7705578
>I can't live at peace not knowing or understanding space.
Get over it pussy.
>I find it scary how we're 99.9% sure that life outside of our solar system exists but we are yet to come across it, or interact with it.
What a cushy life you must life to have time to be scared of something like that.
>Space is so vast and planets/solar systems are so abundant that even in millions of years we would not be able to explore even the planets within our own galaxy.
So what?
>Is there any scope whatsoever about intergalactic travel within the next millennium?
No.
>Are we the most sophisticated life forms in the universe?
Maybe.
>Do other universes exist?
Does it matter?
>Will we ever travel inside a black hole?
What?
>Could we master high speed travel and essentially travel into the future of the Earth?
I agree with the other guy, lay off the movies.
>I have so many questions and every night I look up at the night sky and pray that one day I understand who we are and what part we play in grand theatre of the universe and space-time.
Jesus Christ.
>Maybe one day we will understand this all, maybe even within our life time. I have sleepless nights most the time and even if I do sleep, its nightmares about what exists beyond our atmosphere.
Have you tried visiting a psychiatrist?
>I need answers.
You need a psychiatrist
>>
>>7705621
> probably
said a human that only knows it's own star system
>>
>>7705578
this should become a new pasta
>>
>>7705704
thats why he said probably...
>>
>>7705717
do you even know what probably means?
>>
>>7705757
Do you?
>>
>>7705578
1) Get content with dying
2) Accept that humans don't understand shit
3) Accept that humans will probably never understand shit because they too are limited in their potential for understanding
4) Accept that shit will happen in your life
5) Become happy
>>
>>7705578
using current technology, we could travel to alpha centauri in roughly 25 years

no reason to go there really
>>
>>7705772
>I can calculate probability based on a single data point
>>
>>7705621
>No, this is it
>implying humans won't create ultra-accurate universe simulations which would be just as real to its occupants as ours is to us
>>
>>7705621
Of course we could, just freeze a body and put it in a space ship
>>
>>7705578

Choice is an illusion. Life is a nightmare.
>>
>>7705793
How would you travel 4 ly in 25 years?
>>
>>7705578
>I can't live at peace not knowing or understanding space.

Allow me to set you straight.

Causally speaking, 99.6% of the visible universe by volume is totally unreachable by anything baryonic. That includes us. The metric expansion of space reaches lightspeed across a distance of about 14 billion lightyears. Outside such a bubble of space (in a visible volume of about 90 billion lightyears) there's no physical means of baryonic matter to catch up to anything outside of it. We're causally disconnected from the rest of that universe, which is 99.6% of it by volume (visible portion).

So we're trapped inside a subuniverse of 14 BLY diameter.

Then it gets worse. Humanity is just a mammalian species. Mammalian *species* have a average species lifespan of about 1 million years. So of Humanity tried to travel via nearly lightspeed now, it would only reach a bubble about 2 million lightyears across. This would largely encompass the Local Group, of the Milky Way and Andromeda and a few smaller galaxies. We're trapped inside that 2 MLY bubble.

But wait, it gets worse. Humanity doesn't travel at nearly lightspeed. Humanity would have enormous trouble achieving routinely interstellar flight at 10% of lightspeed. And that involves hops to stop and establish resource-exploiting civilizations at stellar systems, hence, Humanity can only realistically expect to attain about 0.1% of lightspeed as an overall expansion rate. For 1 million years, that's a bubble about 2000 lightyears in diameter. We're trapped inside that bubble.

Economically speaking, however, we're probably just trapped on the Earth for the remainder of our *species* lifespan. So the real diameter of Human involvement is only about 10000 miles.
>>
>>7705578
What the fuck do you mean by "understand"?
you want an answer where there is no question
>>
>>7706324
>implying humans haven't been to the moon
>>
>>7706360
http://heiwaco.tripod.com/moontravel.htm
Thank me later...
>>
>>7706324
>Mammalian *species* have a average species lifespan of about 1 million years
Shit point, the average space of mammals doenst say shit. As you can see, we have some differences...
Therefore your entire bullshit speach is wrong, nice try, but your low iq is limiting you.
>>
File: epicearthmoonstill-1.png (3MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
epicearthmoonstill-1.png
3MB, 2048x2048px
>>7706365
wew lad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdhQsHbWTs
>>
>>7706365
well memed my friend
>>
File: moontransitfull.gif (3MB, 985x554px) Image search: [Google]
moontransitfull.gif
3MB, 985x554px
>>7706365
>>7706440

Faggots need to get on my level

>inb4 superior webm
>>
>>7706324
that's why we send robots anon.
>>
>>7705578
So /mu/

I can't live at peace not knowing or understanding Brittany Spears. I find it scary how we're 99.9% sure that life outside of Brittany Spears exists but we are yet to come across it, or interact with it.

Hey discography is so vast and Brittany's music so abundant that even in millions of years we would not be able to explore even the planets within our own galaxy.

Is there any scope whatsoever about Brittany's next new album? Are we the most sophisticated life forms in the universe? Do other Spears sisters exist? Will we ever travel inside of Brittany's black hole? Could we master high speed travel and essentially travel into the future of the Earth?

I have so many questions and every night I look up at the night sky and pray that one day I understand who we are and what part we play in grand theatre of the universe and space-time. Maybe one day we will understand this all, maybe even within our life time. I have sleepless nights most the time and even if I do sleep, its nightmares about what exists beyond Brittany Spears I need lotion.
>>
>>7706531
It's spelled Britney. Fuck.
>>
>>7706324
>But muh mammals lifespan.!
Fuck off retard!
>>
File: fucking retarded shit.png (74KB, 1307x534px) Image search: [Google]
fucking retarded shit.png
74KB, 1307x534px
>>7706365
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
>>
Eventually A.I. is going to rule the universe with human race long extinct. Mechas will have it all for themselves until the cold death of the universe..and yes I'm not a robot 4chan
>>
>>7705578
I'm in a similar situation, it frustrates me to no end that I'll never explore it. Even if by some astronomical chance I became some kind of astronaut my destination would be LEO or if I'm extremely lucky some nearby asteroid. The way I see it there are people way smarter than me that can do the whole figuring the heavens out thing, I just want to be the explorer.
>>
>>7705578
>I can't live at peace
Not to worry, the world is not at peace.
>>
>>7705578
>I have so many questions and every night I look up at the night sky and pray that one day I understand who we are and what part we play in grand theatre of the universe and space-time. Maybe one day we will understand this all, maybe even within our life time. I have sleepless nights most the time and even if I do sleep, its nightmares about what exists beyond our atmosphere. I need answers.
Just smoke a little less weed, and add some hard liquor to the mix, you'll be fine.
>>
>>7705578
since this thread has been overly negative, let me give you a more neutral response.

Placing significance to our self awareness and existence seems to be something that only we as humans are capable of. If you consider the possibility that the universe is not some grand theatre, then your answers are easy: there is nothing to understand because we play no part in the grand universe that does not exist in reality.

Instead of having fear for the unknown or unthinkable, take joy that you exist in a relatively narrow epoch of the universe that allows you to think about these things in the first place.

Eventually, the universe will end, and spend more time in a state of maximal entropy, then it spent in all of it's other manifestations. That is to say, your answers lie in facing the inevitable fearful conclusion that, in regards to the future, nothing matters.
>>
>>7705578

OP;

>You are the universe experiencing itself as human, for a little while.

That's it, that's all. Everything else is irrelevant. There's a reason we have trouble actually comprehending the nature of the universe and the scale of space like the questions you've asked.

If we all could actually comprehend it we'd all go insane very quickly.

Why do you think the greatest minds, people like Newton, Tesla, Einstein etc all go batshit crazy in their later years.

>I can create gold outa lead and predict the end of the earths date exactly man
>falls in love with a pigeon man
>starts spouting philosophical memes man
>>
File: 1449526063316.png (3MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1449526063316.png
3MB, 2048x2048px
>>7706440
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.

>>7705578
Sometimes I have dreams that I forgot to attach anon's optimized png.
>>
>>7707812
How do you go about optimizing png's?
What do you do to them?
>>
>>7707812
Run them through a script I've made.

What happens to them depends on the image, but the order is always the same and roughly as follows.

-Try to reduce bitdepth, and test if this reduction is actually more compressible.
-Try to find better scanline filters of that output, more exhaustively compress result.
-Check if that result is using different scanline filters than the original bitdepth pass, if it is, try to compress again using its filter selection (occasionally better.)
-Try to compress further with another deflate program, sometimes testing until the best block splitting points are found (all block sizes are equal).
-Run all results through two huffman tree header optimizers. Take the best result.

More or less it looks for more efficient ways to losslessly store the same data.

Right now, more work needs to be done with transparency optimization, and more explicit handling for lower bitdepths. Some of the heuristics used to choose settings automatically also have problems. And at present only gAMA chunks are retained. It will eventually be able to keep pHYS, iCCP, cHRM, etc, when I feel like writing it. This is why image outputs occasionally look different despite their actual image data being the same. These chunks store pixel aspect ratio, color correction, lighting, etc data.
>>
>>7707825
Quoted the wrong post.
>>7707816
>>
>>7707825
Damn son

is this on github, may I use it?
or are you holdin out for the shekels
>>
>>7705621
>No. This is it.
Prove it.
>>
>>7705633
How do I get into that? I'm legit interested.
>>
>>7705621
>No. This is it.
You cant give a definite answer to that. To me it seems more likely that the answer to the more and more rapidly expanding universe is that there are "outside" gravitational forces pulling the stuff apart. We are but a bubble in a sea of universes. New universes get most likely triggered by some not-yet-known property of mass under immense gravitation aka blackholes with mass equivalency of trillions of suns. Seems logical since gravity is the only one of the four fundamental forces that can extremely heavily distort spacetime.

But thats just my 2c, these questions probably wont get ever answered.
>>
>>7707881
I might release it eventually. It's just a few unusually involved batch files that handle evaluating input files and passing them to other applications. Handles gifs, jpg, png. Like I said though, there's still work to be done.

Eventually I'll try to write my own single program to do all of this much more efficiently, ideally with no dependencies on external libraries. Might not be able to write a superior deflate implementation, but who knows.

That could end up being something worth putting on github. It'd be cross platform.
>>
>>7707910
It doesnt matter if he cant disprove that there is more outside the universe. We can only see inside right now so thats all we can prove.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.