[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think that the extraordinary claim is that life only exists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: saganator.jpg (79KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
saganator.jpg
79KB, 672x372px
I think that the extraordinary claim is that life only exists on Earth because it's magic pixie dust.
>>
File: 1435787606834.jpg (136KB, 625x424px) Image search: [Google]
1435787606834.jpg
136KB, 625x424px
>>7705528
Show me an alien. Without evidence, aliens are no better than hobbits, ghosts or unicorns.
>>
>>7705532
probabilities etc. no reasonable man believes aliens have been to earth, but life probably exists somewhere else in the universe etc. I took the bait and so on. Sage for shit thread an what have you.
>>
Some people have trouble believing that there's water on Mars.
>>
>people actually believe that the sum total of not just consciousness but life exists only on Earth, out of the entire cosmos
>these same people usually feel entitled to pollute, consume and war

Absolutely horrific.
>>
File: proof.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
proof.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>7705528
someone make one of these using the sagan quote
>>
>>7705544
One could make a similar point with regards to probability: the chance that a series of phenomena could occur that completely reproduce the situation on Earth elsewhere is extremely slim.

>>7705528
The arguments for the existence of extraterrestrial life are always based on the bizarre assumption that "with vastness comes endless possibility". Just because the universe is large doesn't mean there's more out there. It likely just means there's a lot of empty space. Why must I posit the existence of aliens with this line of reasoning and stop there? Why can't I posit the existence of anything conceivable? The universe is so vast, that X must exist.

Please reflect on these words.
>>
>>7705544
>life probably exists somewhere else
Based off what statistic? What are the odds of life begging?
>>
>>7705574
>people actually believe that the sum total of not just consciousness but life exists only on Earth, out of the entire cosmos

The natural sciences are still empirical.

And, for one thing, the only reason you're able to even ponder about our unlikely existence is that it already happened.
>>
>>7705684
My dog begs all the time so I'm assuming quite high
>>
>>7705684
>>7705684
But more seriously, based on the last estimate I saw the milky way has at least 100 billion planets. The odds of life beginning on any give planet would have to be very fucking small for ours to be the only one
>>
>>7705705
>The odds of life beginning on any give planet would have to be very fucking small for ours to be the only one

Yes. But assuming you give a reasonable estimate of that probability then that's as far as you can go.

Another matter is how long life can survive on a given planet.
>>
>>7705528
We have this discussion almost every fucking week. People have to realize that, on the chance that life actually exists elsewhere in our universe, we are separated not only by space but by time. Our civilization has been around for roughly 6,000 years, of which only within the last 400 or so were we able to look at the stars with anything better than the naked eye. Time is the one thing that everyone forgets to mention, and it's probably the reason we'll never find life in the universe even if it existed beforehand. For all we know, there could've been an intergalactic civilization of flying spaghetti monsters that flourished and then died before the pyramids were even built.
>>
>>7705677
>completely reproduce the situation on Earth

The bulk of the componentry of life was seeded by comets. The solar system is surrounded by a cloud of comets full of water and complex organic compounds. There is evidence that Mars also had water and life at some stage in the past. There is nothing special about Earth.
>>
>>7705738
the nearest neighborhood of earth could have been brimming with life and super advanced civilization that ended while the dinosaurs still roamed the earth

no credible scientist dismisses the possibility of life elsewhere but with the data we currently have (ie. none) the discussion is essentially meaningless
>>
>>7706780

And yet some fools continue to argue that common chemical reactions are only possible on Earth.
>>
>>7706809
The Fermi Paradox in a nutshell
>>
>>7705684

There is 100% certainty that life can exist, we know this for a fact. Now the question is: why would someone think that these chemical reactions of common elements and molecules only occur on Earth. A pretty extraordinary claim if you ask me.
>>
>>7705738
>intergalactic
At that point it would be highly suspicious why there weren't at least a small percentage still around. You can't tell me they all committed seppuku.
>>
>the poorly funded SETI has searched a tiny amount of sky
>and only looked for a subset of the EM spectrum
>le where is everybody why is it so quiet out there le no data

SETI is easily analagous to an indian walking to the top of a hill and seeing no smoke signals, proclaiming that there are no other people on Earth.
>>
>>7709183
>SETI is easily analagous to an indian walking to the top of a hill and seeing no smoke signals, proclaiming that there are no other people on Earth.
This.
If we're still finding shit on Mars, we can't really claim that not finding life in solar systems many lightyears away is surprising.
>>
>>7709183
ok but that indian has a smoke signal of his own that has been broadcasting since the 1980's and can be seen for miles so why dont we see any, not even the faintest sign

And if you think that an alien race would be careful of broadcasting em i think you're grasping at straws
>>
Life is by definition alien, we are all remote controled. When all the conditions for a receptor are made, universal sobreposition /induction happens and the result is the phenomenon of life.

We are literally pawns overwriting this reality with the laws of another over-universe. The instinct of life itself culminates in overwriting this world with the over-universe; independently of estabilished psychological mechanics made by evolution, the feel of happyness itself is pleasurable because it creates a pathway at primal levels - pain happens when it's being cut.

tl;dr: Avatar wasn't merely a pocahontas ripoff
>>
>>7709545

Consider that there is an exponential dropoff in power for what is really a very weak signal. Also consider that broadcast media is only a couple of generations away from total redundancy, and that a lot of transmission is now encrypted digital and effectively indescernable from white noise.

The bar you have set is:

>ET civilization has to coincidentally be within the blanket broadcast phase, a couple of centuries at most
>ET civilization actually uses powerful EM for communications like we do, perhaps EM is biological for other biota and powerful EM is undesirable or forbidden
>we happen to be close enough to resolve those transmissions
>those transmissions occurred within the SINGLE FREQUENCY which SETI scanned, of only 20% of the celestial view

Really, the indian analogy would be more accurate that the indian only looked East standing in a forest, saw no smoke signals and called it a day.
>>
>>7709587
dude wat
>>
File: high lmao.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
high lmao.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>7709587
>>
File: 417_by_number_toi-d6xbnxu.jpg (655KB, 711x1000px) Image search: [Google]
417_by_number_toi-d6xbnxu.jpg
655KB, 711x1000px
>>7709587
I've thought of this before, and wrote a story about it. In a sense.
>>
>>7705528
Wouldn't the earth be a living being if it has metabolizing objects inside of it?

If no, why are people considered living only because of the cells living inside of us?

They get food from the person, people get food from the earth.

The earth gets energy from the sun.

And if we're saying it can't reproduce asexually, why're people comprised of mostly water like the earth? I mean heck, cells reproduce via duplication; which is basically the division and replication of life with the same elementary particles. The cells still existing inside the 'being.'

The earth's core is basically just like the sun.

So we can't say earth's the only living planet by that logic.

>There are two categories of bone cells. Osteoclasts are in the first category. They resorb (dissolve) the bone. The other category is the osteoblast family, which consists of osteoblasts that form bone, osteocytes that help maintain bone, and lining cells that cover the surface of the bone.
>>
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/nasa1.html

>METEORITE YIELDS EVIDENCE OF PRIMITIVE LIFE ON EARLY MARS

>A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.
>The NASA-funded team found the first organic molecules thought to be of Martian origin; several mineral features characteristic of biological activity; and possible microscopic fossils of primitive, bacteria-like organisms inside of an ancient Martian rock that fell to Earth as a meteorite. This array of indirect evidence of past life will be reported in the August 16 issue of the journal Science, presenting the investigation to the scientific community at large for further study.

The President of the USA went live on TV and announced this to the public. In the subsequent 19 years, no team has actually debunked the finding. In fact the case has only been strengthened by direct study of the fossils and study of Mars.

And yet most people actually believe that THIS HAS BEEN DEBUNKED, if they know of it at all! Some people just refuse to acknowledge reality.
>>
>>7709700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhZQWAtWyQ
>>
>>7709587
>Avatar wasn't merely a pocahontas ripoff
it was also a fern gully ripoff
>>
>says believing in God is silly
>fervently believes in aliens
The mind of an atheist. Their entire life is dictated to them by the media, which explains their often nonsensical and ridiculous viewpoints.
>>
>>7709747

>one is a reasonable hypothesis
>the other is a story from bronze-age farmers

Also the last I heard, people are ridiculed and lambasted for having an opinion on ET life, yet it's expected to believe in an invisible sky ghost. Behead yourself.
>>
>>7709747
>non-specific physical thing versus specific non-physical thing
An actual religious person who came here would be smarter than this.
>>
>>7705528
>extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Unless you're Galileo, then everyone is stupid for not immediately jumping on your groundless theory
>>
>>7709755
>reasonable
There's nothing reasonable about a belief that flies in the face of the evidence that says life exists only on Earth.
>>
>>7709800

There is absolutely zero evidence that is the case. Again, claiming that life only exists on Earth is the extraordinary assumption and needs some scientific rationale to back it up, otherwise the scientific assumption is that Earth is but one place in a cosmos teeming with life.
>>
>>7705528
>extraordinary claim is that life only exists on Earth because it's magic pixie dust.

The extraordinary claim is that seat belts save lives because they're magic pixie dust.
The extraordinary claim is that scotch tape is sticky on one side because it's magic pixie dust.
The extraordinary claim is that water is wet because it's magic pixie dust.

...wow, this is fun!
You can ridicule anything by adding "magic pixie dust".
We don't even know how many factors had to line up just right for us to be here.
It _could_ be a trillion to one shot.
Your only out to to appeal to the incredible, nearly incomprehensible size of the universe.
But that's a cop-out because if life really is a trillion to one shot, we'll never find our hypothetical neighbors.
Oh, and "life only exists on Earth" is a strawman besides.
>>
>>7705705
>last estimate I saw the milky way has at least 100 billion planets.
There are at least a hundred billion stars in the galaxy.
And almost all of them are completely unsuitable to host complex life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_habitable_zone#Boundaries
>research was corroborated in a 2011 paper by Michael Gowanlock, who calculated the frequency of supernova-surviving planets as a function of their distance from the galactic center, their height above the galactic plane, and their age, ultimately discovering that about 0.3% of stars in the galaxy could today support complex life

And why are you using the entire galaxy as our hypothetical neighborhood?
If there's no FTL, we're very unlikely to ever completely explore it.
Hell, even if we discover warp drive tomorrow, we'd need to explore 2000 star systems a week to cover the entire galaxy in a million years.
The key here isn't the total number of worlds, it's the percentage of worlds with life.
>>
>>7709545
>that indian has a smoke signal of his own that has been broadcasting since the 1980's and can be seen for miles so why dont we see any,
Inverse square law
>>
>>7709800
>nothing reasonable about a belief that flies in the face of the evidence that says life exists only on Earth.
There isn't any evidence that says "life exists only on Earth."
>>
>>7709905
>otherwise the scientific assumption is that Earth is but one place in a cosmos teeming with life.
"Teeming" is subjective, and there's no reason to believe life isn't very rare.
It could be very common, or it could be very rare.
>>
>>7709929

That's honestly the stupidest thing I've read today, and I read that tripfag thread.
>>
>>7705544
UFO belief was mainstream in scientific circles until we found out that there is no life on Mars and Venus. After that it was swept under the carpet by the dogmatic establshment for clashing with the belief that interstellar travel is impossible.
>>
Just over a century ago, it was contentious that atoms existed. Many people are simply unable to deal with paradigm shift.
>>
>>7709959
>That's honestly the stupidest thing I've read today, and I read that tripfag thread.
The conditions necessary for life *may* be very rare.
Calling that condition "magic fairy dust" is unfair ridicule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle
No matter how likely or unlikely life is to exist on a given planet, we were bound to be born only on a world that supports life.
>>
>>7709965
>UFO belief was mainstream in scientific circles
[citation needed]

>dogmatic establshment for clashing with the belief that interstellar travel is impossible.
[strawman detected]
>>
>>7709929

>reading comprehension
>>
>>7709941
>And almost all of them are completely unsuitable to host complex life.

Citation needed.
>>
>>7710001
I listed one, you twat.
>>
>>7710014

>an opinion on wikipedia
>citation
>>
>>7709587

ayyyyyyy
>>
>>7709951
>There isn't any evidence that says "life exists outside of Earth."
>>
>>7710819

Why would you assume that life doesn't exist outside of Earth? Would you have been incredulous to the claim that planets existed outside of the solar system around other stars? This wasn't known as a fact until rather recently.
>>
>>7710034
>research that has been peer reviewed
>just an opinion
>>
>>7710971

>opinion based on speculation
>research
>>
>>7705684
NASA already announced they found a planet with same condition as earth last summer.
>>
>>7710999

Why does a planet need to be like Earth to be a candidate for life? The human perspective is so blinkered and narcissistic.
>>
>>7705694
feel good kek
>>
>>7705528

I'm not sure why I read OP's image as "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary violence", but it really explained a lot.
>>
>>7711034
>Why does a planet need to be like Earth to be a candidate for life? The human perspective is so blinkered and narcissistic.
In relation to the Fermi Paradox, if our alien overlords are from a planet with liquid methane oceans and an atmosphere rich in benzine, they aren't going to invade our little world because it's not a comfortable place for them to live.
>>
>>7711172

I posit that an ET organism would be about as comfortable living in an alien world as one of your cells would be living in a mushroom. Idiot.
>>
>>7705532
Drake Equation.
>>
>>7711172

>responds to a comment about human perspective being blinkered and narcissistic
>response is blinkered and narcissistic

Rest in RIP sweet irony, I knew ye well. ;w;7
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.