[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /Sci feel about this "new college"? http

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Thisisnew.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Thisisnew.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
How does /Sci feel about this "new college"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rT00QXqZak
>>
>>7702101

Making college pretty much free? I agree in the sense that college is really fucking expensive these days, but totally creating a system where higher education is dirt cheap doesn't sound that great either. More and more people will be going for college and getting degrees, thus, devaluing the worth of them.
>>
>>7702665
I mean it's not like they haven't already. I honestly wouldn't care about the worth of the degree, just having cheaper resources/educations is better for humanity in general.
>>
>>7702665

>Thus devaluing the worth of them.
It's not about you, though. If you think increasing the overall intelligence/education of an entire nation (or world for that matter) is bad in the long wrong you have a serious problem with how your perceive what a degree is about.
>>
It's just not reputable and I wouldn't hire anyone from there. It's really just for lazy kids that want to start a business or make programs. I guarantee that this isn't like a real college or university of any kind and probably has like 100 people enrolled. This isn't a new model. Many "programming bootcamp" type schools do the exact same "we take a piece of your salary for a year instead of pushing a tuition on you" thing. This isn't new and is basically just another programming bootcamp.
>>
>>7702665
>More and more people will be going for college and getting degrees, thus, devaluing the worth of them.

>Hey guys if we make this factory then the labourer's work will be worth less, so we shouldn't build factories
>>
>>7702665
They are already the entry requirement for most jobs. Cheaper Schools would actually mean less people can go
>>
>>7702101
I like it. I expect few of his employees will have the "I don't give a shit if you learn anything in my class/fail/etc." attitude, and that's a good thing.
>>
>>7702101
>huge loans for higher education
>firs developed country
choose
>>
>>7702761
Dunno if you're still here but what do you think of Coursera MOOCs?

Would you hire somebody with a few of those coursera "specializations" in addition to a degree from a decent school, personal projects, placement in contests, etc?

Or do you consider them to be glorified bootcamps?
>>
>>7702750
Except this doesn't work. People don't care about education, they want to have a good time, while still passing their classes. That's what's been happening for the last 50 years. That's why most "universities" have so many classes which were highschool level back then. Universities are an institution of the elite and they have to stay on that level. Otherwise they'll be misused as an instrument of indoctrication, which is already starting.
>>
>>7702665
>devaluing the worth of them
Honestly, restricting a credential to artificially boost its worth is a pretty bad form of rent seeking and is part of the reason that the healthcare system in the US is so broken for everyone who isn't an M.D.

STEM already has a pretty strong barrier to entry -- the difficulty and rigour of getting the degree in the first place. I don't think "the worth" of your degree should be predicated on whether or not you were able to take on student loans or not. The worth of an engineering degree is often determined by the engineer holding it, right?
>>
>>7702101
I like his attempt at mixing up the education system, no idea how well his style will work but if it at least has some impact then we may see more alternative or innovative teaching methods in the future.
>>
>>7702101
I looked this school up recently. It's part coding bootcamp and part actual college. There is at least some theory in the two year program so they aren't just spitting out web devs on masse.

https://makegameswithus.hackpad.com/Make-School-Curriculum-Outline-R3tj9xUaOM2
>>
>>7702795

>Hey guys, if we build a million factories, then there will be ten million workers.
>Hey guys, let's just build a whole nation of factories, then everyone can be happy!
>>
>>7702750

>implying a quarter of the population don't go to universities to do fuckall
>implying people actually go to a university to "learn"
>>
We no need. The majority basically go to their state school to get dat General ed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.