[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me out here. [math]\textup{Prove that in any topological

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Hausdorff_2.jpg (12KB, 287x326px) Image search: [Google]
Hausdorff_2.jpg
12KB, 287x326px
Help me out here.

[math]\textup{Prove that in any topological Hausdorff space all subspaces consisting of one element are closed.}[/math]

Now, say I take the discrete topology T consisting of all subsets of X, then (X, T) is a Hausdorff space. However, for every element x of X, {x} is open with respect to the discrete topology, as is the complement X-{x} of {x} in X. So {x} is both open and closed in X. How can this statement still hold?
>>
"Prove that in any topological Hausdorff space all subspaces consisting of one element are closed."
>>
>>7696603
Great job, OP. You disproved topology.
>>
Let x be any element of X.

For every y unequal to x there exists an open neibhoorhood U_y that includes y but not x.

The union of all those U_y is X \ {x} and since it's the union of open sets it must be open too.

Therefore {x} is closed.
>>
>>7696618
Oh great, because that was obviously what I was trying to do.

Got anything useful to add about what is wrong with either my reasoning or the statement?
>>
>>7696603
The discrete topology isn't very Haussdorfy, is it?
>>
>>7696624
With the discrete topology every set is both open and closed. There is no contradiction there.
>>
>>7696623
Thanks

>>7696627
A space X is Hausdorff if for every x, y in X with x not equal to y there exist open neighbourhoods V and W of x, y respectively so that the intersection of V and W is the empty set.

If X is a space endowed with the discrete topology, for every x, y in X (x again unequal to y), {x} and {y} are (open) neighbourhoods of x, y so that their intersection is empty.

Unless Ive done something wrong the discrete topology is kind of Hausdorffy.

>>7696630
Thanks -- I thought the statement implied every subspace should be exclusively closed.
>>
>>7696603
There's nothing stopping a set from being both open and closed, or neither. X itself is open and closed regardless of the topology you give it, as well as the empty set.

To prove the statement just choose a point x in X and use the Hausdorff condition to find open sets disjoint from {x} containing any other point in the space. Union those up and you've got the complement of {x}.
>>
>>7696627
Sure it is, it is even metrizable
>>
Each point in X is a connected component. Imagine a discrete set of points in R^n (such as the integers) if you like.
>>
>>7696603
>stumbling over clopen sets
Babby tier physics student detected. Fuck off, cunt.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.